Is Joel Embiid Greg Oden 2.0 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    This is a classic pro-tank strawman argument.

Nobody is against "the draft" or drafting superstars, the debatable issue is if you can actually accelerate and gain control over the "luck" aspect of drafting that superstar by deliberately fielding a crap team like Hinkie and others have suggested.
    But simple math would tell you that you can accelerate it.

If you go from 15% chance of drafting 1st overall to 25% then you've increased your odds, that's a fact. Same as if you have 2 draft picks over 1, it's a fact that you increased your chances of getting a star player in the draft. The lottery balls not going your way or your scouts picking the wrong guy have nothing to do with your increased chance at success.

If I get 4 PHd degrees I increase my chance of getting a higher paying job, doesn't mean I'll get a higher paying job, it just means I've given myself more chances at it, and those years I'd spend in a room reading instead of being outside enjoying life would be what I'd give up for an increased chance at success.

Comment

This is a classic pro-tank strawman argument.

Nobody is against "the draft" or drafting superstars, the debatable issue is if you can actually accelerate and gain control over the "luck" aspect of drafting that superstar by deliberately fielding a crap team like Hinkie and others have suggested.
      I don't think this is a strawman. It's all of the evidence that we have. (Not perfect though, given the small sample size.)
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        The NBA, the only community on earth where there is a popular belief that to be successful requires hard work and dedication to being horribly bad.

So your team stinks? You're not serious enough about losing to win my friend. Get with the program.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
        Apparently Hinkie will be bringing in Olympic gold medallist Steven Bradbury as a motivational speaker at Sixers training camp...

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
          But simple math would tell you that you can accelerate it.

If you go from 15% chance of drafting 1st overall to 25% then you've increased your odds, that's a fact. Same as if you have 2 draft picks over 1, it's a fact that you increased your chances of getting a star player in the draft. The lottery balls not going your way or your scouts picking the wrong guy have nothing to do with your increased chance at success.

If I get 4 PHd degrees I increase my chance of getting a higher paying job, doesn't mean I'll get a higher paying job, it just means I've given myself more chances at it, and those years I'd spend in a room reading instead of being outside enjoying life would be what I'd give up for an increased chance at success.
          You can't use simple math and average things out, because of the Pareto law (80/20 rule) and time. Some superstars are vastly better than others (i.e. Jordan, Duncan,...) and can dominate for extended periods and comparable players aren't available every draft. Also some GMs are vastly better than others (Pat Riley vs. Rob Babcock,...). It doesn't matter how many at bats I give Rob Babcock, to use your analogy, unless you want to wait a few decades like Donald Sterling and the Clips.

If you're okay waiting forever (Hinkie's diabolical plan for life employment, lol), then no problem, but the luck factor combined with GM skill factor combined with dominant player dominating for extended periodds means that you could be deluding yourself to think you can actually accelerate the timeline.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Detroit Pistons.

Only one I know.
            Dallas mavericks.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Dallas mavericks.
              I like how the pro-tanking debate is changing over time. First it was how you have to tank for a top 5 pick, because that's where all the superstars have been historically drafted. And you can't go from the treadmill to conference finals contender. Now that Houston and Golden State have blown that away this season, it's now "you need to draft that superstar". No kidding. Every team is forced to draft players every single year, so the probability of a successful team drafting a superstar has to be close to 100% by definition. Talk about lowering the bar to win the debate.
              Last edited by golden; Tue Jun 23, 2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Dallas mavericks.
                Dirk?
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Dallas mavericks.
                  IMO they 'drafted' Nowitzki, just like we 'drafted' Vince, but if you want to get all lawyerly and technical, then you can ague that, I don't buy it though.
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    IMO they 'drafted' Nowitzki, just like we 'drafted' Vince, but if you want to get all lawyerly and technical, then you can ague that, I don't buy it though.
                    Oh, I'm getting lawerly.

Comment

Oh, I'm getting lawerly.
                      I would say that this is very lawyerly, yes
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

And I definitely think Miami's back to backs were acquired via FREE AGENCY, was Wade the 2nd or 3rd best player? Either way, he was 2nd (or 3rd) by a country mile. So you could say we drafted Demar or JV, and they could be a 3rd banana on a champ.

Comment

And I definitely think Miami's back to backs were acquired via FREE AGENCY, was Wade the 2nd or 3rd best player? Either way, he was 2nd (or 3rd) by a country mile. So you could say we drafted Demar or JV, and they could be a 3rd banana on a champ.
                          The first couple of years they were together, Wade was still playing at an All-League level. That's what attracted Bosh and Lebron. Neither DD nor JV will ever be close to that, most likely.
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I like how the pro-tanking debate is changing over time. First it was you how have to tank for a top 5 pick, because that's where all the superstars have been historically drafted. And you can't go from the treadmill to conference finals contender. Now that Houston and Golden State have blown that away this season, it's now "you need to draft that superstar". No kidding. Every team is forced to draft players every single year, so the probability of a successful team drafting a superstar has to be close to 100% by definition. Talk about lowering the bar to win the debate.
                            You can pick outliers for any argument. It's data mining. The vast bulk of the data shows that quality teams find their foundational player in the draft. Which Golden State did too; they weren't good when they drafted Curry or Thompson, and actually instituted a tank when they traded Ellis for Bogut to try and keep their protected pick (which was Barnes). Warriors fans were so pissed they booed during Mullin's HoF ceremony--but now they are reaping the rewards.

And as for Houston proving anything... A hot state with no income tax is pretty attractive. When Toronto or Milwaukee can land a Dwight Howard via free agency that example might hold water.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              You can pick outliers for any argument. It's data mining. The vast bulk of the data shows that quality teams find their foundational player in the draft. Which Golden State did too; they weren't good when they drafted Curry or Thompson, and actually instituted a tank when they traded Ellis for Bogut to try and keep their protected pick (which was Barnes). Warriors fans were so pissed they booed during Mullin's HoF ceremony--but now they are reaping the rewards.

And as for Houston proving anything... A hot state with no income tax is pretty attractive. When Toronto or Milwaukee can land a Dwight Howard via free agency that example might hold water.
                              The argument against this though, is that there just isn't enough data to actually be drawing meaningful conclusions from it.

But my stat game is too rusty to figure it out.
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

So what the anit tankers are arguing is that we need a star to attract the free agents necissary to become a championship team.

Tankers are saying lets go for broke and try and get some stars.

So tankers are trying to do step 1 before step 2....and anti tankers are trying to do step 2 before step one whole downputting the tankers because they dont want to lose?

$0.02

Comment

Working...
                                X