Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Four years into their careers it was neck and neck
    Agreed. Kobe was younger and was playing a second banana to Shaq, so he had easier time to get his points so most of the opponents defense were concentrated in stopping Shaq. In Toronto Vince was the dominant force and the defense was on him at all times and despite that he put on comparable stats. There was even a strong trade rumor from the Lakers regarding trading Kobe for Vince straight up at one point.

Also during the matchup's with the Lakers during Carter first 2-3 seasons he managed to get the better of Kobe (cue nostalgic video)

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      Four years into their careers it was neck and neck
      Vince had the best selling jersey at one point I think.

Comment

Hollywood stars were going to the ACC to see Vince and to be seen seeing Vince. LOL

It was a really good time and yet in all of that the Raptors still couldn't shake the rep as a inferior franchise, an inferior destination for FA's. This is why they need to build a reputation now with a foundation of solid year in, year out performance. If they tank and get the star it is more likely he leaves and it is less likely Ujiri, as good as he is, surrounds him with the all stars needed to win - right now. This is why I think Ujiri is building while posting results, because many NBA ballers can be shallow and the only markets that aren't tainted by horrible repetitive seasons are the "big markets" and even those aren't totally immune.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Hollywood stars were going to the ACC to see Vince and to be seen seeing Vince. LOL

It was a really good time and yet in all of that the Raptors still couldn't shake the rep as a inferior franchise, an inferior destination for FA's. This is why they need to build a reputation now with a foundation of solid year in, year out performance. If they tank and get the star it is more likely he leaves and it is less likely Ujiri, as good as he is, surrounds him with the all stars needed to win - right now. This is why I think Ujiri is building while posting results, because many NBA ballers can be shallow and the only markets that aren't tainted by horrible repetitive seasons are the "big markets" and even those aren't totally immune.

It was because the Raptor were an inferior franchise and inept

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            It was because the Raptor were an inferior franchise and inept
            Yeah and that image is not lost. If they nose dive now then what's happened recently was just an lucky occurrence through their path of below mediocre performance. This is the root of the problem, they've established a reputation as a pathetic franchise and that doesn't wash away because there is a new man sitting in the GM's chair. Respect is earned and they've done nothing to earn it. They deserve to be where they are and only through consistent winning will they shake the bad image. Outsider players are right to not trust this place as a good destination.

Comment

Yeah and that image is not lost. If they nose dive now then what's happened recently was just an lucky occurrence through their path of below mediocre performance. This is the root of the problem, they've established a reputation as a pathetic franchise and that doesn't wash away because there is a new man sitting in the GM's chair. Respect is earned and they've done nothing to earn it. They deserve to be where they are and only through consistent winning will they shale the bad image. Outsider players are right to not trust this place as a good destination.

Fixing the ship

Step 1. Retain Casey
              Step 2. - ?
              Step 3. - Spurs North

Comment

Step 1 - Identify all the 'winners' on this team; the real core.
                Step 2 - Overall the team performed pretty well last season so don't rock the boat too much but do enough in the summer or before the deadline to make some step forward even if it is small and not quantified by extra wins this season (prime example, drafting a PG who serves more or less as a lateral move - right now. Another, letting a FA walk and replacing him with a someone who better fits what they need right now).
                Step 3 - Monitor the coaching situation closely and make damn sure you have an assistant capable of stepping up because it's gonna have to hit the fan for Casey sooner or later and it may have to happen before the next off season.
                Step 4 - Identify the long term coaching option who aligns with the fledgling new culture. Swing for the fences; money should be no object if this club is serious.
                Step 5 - Repeat step 1 and 2 for now.

There is much better job security for Ujiri this way as well. Toronto will love the GM who legitimately lifts them out of abysmal basketball hell. Five winning seasons in a row might warrant a statue around these parts.

Comment

Clippers are looking good.

Comment

Clippers are in a big market. Ownership finally got the hell out of the way.

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
                      Clippers are looking good.
                      yep lets hope the clippers remain good/decent for at least 2 more seasons lol while the Knicks and the Nuggets remain at the basement of the NBA for at least 1 more season.

Comment

Clippers are in a big market. Ownership finally got the hell out of the way.

Being so bad and landing Blake didn't hurt.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          yep lets hope the clippers remain good/decent for at least 2 more seasons lol while the Knicks and the Nuggets remain at the basement of the NBA for at least 1 more season.
                          Oh yeah haha. So happy Knicks too Porzingis. Hoping Denver blows it up.

Comment

Being in L.A. won't hurt their chance of keeping him and adding talent around him either.

Not all destinations are created equal and you have to work with what you have. Americans don't consider Toronto a big market, bottom line. Fans got to accept that and somebody has got to be responsible and manage the team the right way instead of buckling in the Toronto pressure cooker. Ujiri appears well equipped.

Comment

Being in L.A. won't hurt their chance of keeping him and adding talent around him either.

Not all destinations are created equal and you have to work with what you have. Americans don't consider Toronto a big market, bottom line. Fans got to accept that and somebody has got to be responsible and manage the team the right way instead of buckling in the Toronto pressure cooker. Ujiri appears well equipped.

Let's say we drafted KD, RW, Ibaka and Harden from 2007-2011, would your statement still hold truth? I would think FAs would be taking discounts to play with these guys, regardless if it's in Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, etc.

Comment

Step 1 - Identify all the 'winners' on this team; the real core.
                                Step 2 - Overall the team performed pretty well last season so don't rock the boat too much but do enough in the summer or before the deadline to make some step forward even if it is small and not quantified by extra wins this season (prime example, drafting a PG who serves more or less as a lateral move - right now. Another, letting a FA walk and replacing him with a someone who better fits what they need right now).
                                Step 3 - Monitor the coaching situation closely and make damn sure you have an assistant capable of stepping up because it's gonna have to hit the fan for Casey sooner or later and it may have to happen before the next off season.
                                Step 4 - Identify the long term coaching option who aligns with the fledgling new culture. Swing for the fences; money should be no object if this club is serious.
                                Step 5 - Repeat step 1 and 2 for now.

There is much better job security for Ujiri this way as well. Toronto will love the GM who legitimately lifts them out of abysmal basketball hell. Five winning seasons in a row might warrant a statue around these parts.

Where's all the "trade everyone and hope for ping pong balls then hope those ping pong players pan out" posters? You're killin it apollo, I've been marching to this drum for awhile.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X