NBA to seed playoff teams regardless of division winners starting next season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Being in L.A. won't hurt their chance of keeping him and adding talent around him either.

Not all destinations are created equal and you have to work with what you have. Americans don't consider Toronto a big market, bottom line. Fans got to accept that and somebody has got to be responsible and manage the team the right way instead of buckling in the Toronto pressure cooker. Ujiri appears well equipped.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    but we have the Pan-Am games.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Where's all the "trade everyone and hope for ping pong balls then hope those ping pong players pan out" posters? You're killin it apollo, I've been marching to this drum for awhile.
      NBA players hatch from ping pong balls. circle of life

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
        Let's say we drafted KD, RW, Ibaka and Harden from 2007-2011, would your statement still hold truth? I would think FAs would be taking discounts to play with these guys, regardless if it's in Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, etc.
        You're dreaming. You're picking a very rare case. The Raptors getting the right draft classes, winning the right picks and at the right time to make all those perfect selections is never gonna happen and when it fails you'll be stuck holding a piece of shit in five years with a new snake oil salesman trying to sell you on his "new, great vision" of the Toronto Raptors. It's like you just came online as a fan. Aren't you tired of getting up close and personal with a piece of shit each year? Be thankful for what you have right now because Ujiri is guiding this show in a responsible, controlled, logical approach. They've never had this sort of professional running the show before. Give him time, he's not selling snake oil but he is selling a reliable winner that will have the pieces in place to make a serious move when the time is right. Championship winners CAN be built this way.

Comment

Nothing to do but give him time. I have some thoughts on what I'd like to see but my opinion doesn't matter at all at the end of the day. I'll remain a fan regardless of what we do, but there is one method that I simply personally prefer. No big deal.

The above is a very rare case, but imagine just getting one of those 4 guys. That 1 guy alone is a franchise centrepiece that could attract other FAs. Add our component GM and Toronto isn't seen as the North Pole anymore.

I have only been following the raps for a few years now (seriously following) so I can't truly relate to 20 years of disappointment and embarrassment.

Comment

Nothing to do but give him time. I have some thoughts on what I'd like to see but my opinion doesn't matter at all at the end of the day. I'll remain a fan regardless of what we do, but there is one method that I simply personally prefer. No big deal.

The above is a very rare case, but imagine just getting one of those 4 guys. That 1 guy alone is a franchise centrepiece that could attract other FAs. Add our component GM and Toronto isn't seen as the North Pole anymore.

I have only been following the raps for a few years now (seriously following) so I can't truly relate to 20 years of disappointment and embarrassment.
            raptors should get a Rapper to act as a brand ambassodor and tamper with potential free agents resulting in league fines

Comment

I can honestly say that I will not be a fan if they blow this up and shoot for most ping pong balls. I've been a fan since day one and seen enough bullshit to last me a life time. If they intentionally do us wrong on this one by taking us down the aggressive, risky path that often ends in complete miserable failure (and which I consider a complete cop out), then ha!, I'm out at that point and you can do the math I where I'd like them to stick it. I have better things to be doing in life then spending my time on something that isn't worth my time.

FYI, franchise players can be obtained without selling feces to the city of Toronto and the country of Canada as a whole.

As you can tell, I've pretty much had it with the whole lotto or bust strategy. LOL

Comment

I hear ya man. Good thing we have the Brazillian KD just waiting to break out

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  Agreed. Kobe was younger and was playing a second banana to Shaq, so he had easier time to get his points so most of the opponents defense were concentrated in stopping Shaq. In Toronto Vince was the dominant force and the defense was on him at all times and despite that he put on comparable stats. There was even a strong trade rumor from the Lakers regarding trading Kobe for Vince straight up at one point.

Also during the matchup's with the Lakers during Carter first 2-3 seasons he managed to get the better of Kobe (cue nostalgic video)
                  Have I really been listening to Leo and Rod for this long?

Oh man....
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

At least they have lots of assets and are slowly building a new image. That's the beauty of not putting all your eggs in one basket. The Raptors are gonna be one of the teams buying up the tankers stuff for pennies on the dollar instead of being on the other side of the table; that's my guess.

Comment

Let's say we drafted KD, RW, Ibaka and Harden from 2007-2011, would your statement still hold truth? I would think FAs would be taking discounts to play with these guys, regardless if it's in Toronto, Miami, Charlotte, etc.
                      Well the obvious example would be to look OKC themselves... how many FAs of note are they signing? How many players were/are taking discounts to sign with those guys?

What about another obvious example the Spurs?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        *gets up on soapbox*

Plus hasn't anyone noticed how these teams almost NEVER seem to win the FA superstar sweepstakes? Players don't give a shit about WHY your (not 'you' for this or anything to follow, planetmars) team has had a losing record for four or five years or for MOST of your franchise's history. They only care about the fact that your team is a loser. They grew up laughing at your team, their agent reminds them of how much your team stinks and then they play your team and see how poor they are first hand. If your team takes a run at a player best believe their agent is trying to use your shitty team reputation to leverage a better deal. They eat, drink and sleep how shitty your team is. It's entrained in them and yet some of you hope somehow, someway that keeping on figuratively bashing your head against a rock is going produce different results?

Hell, at one time Vince Carter was considered better than Kobe and still even then the Raptors couldn't lure in big names without a trade and even then they had to give bad contracts to their guys to keep the team together. If you want to have longevity you need to have respect across the league with the players and their agents and you do not do that by missing the playoffs every year. Why the hell do people think the Raptors had so much trouble keeping their stars in the past? The best thing Ujiri can do is keep fielding playoff teams for as many years as possible, build up the credibility and goodwill around the league and in the process hit on some later draft gems. We've been down this stinkfest road many times and we've seen many stars, many quality players leave. Time for a change, the Raptors are a perfect example of why stinking doesn't payoff in most cases. In most cases the stinkers are essentially glorified d-league teams and will always sink back to this state.

That doesn't seem to be the case historically. Players (top players) have trended to the top markets. The ones that get them the most attention and spend the most money (both on them and teammates). There is the odd exception (LeBron back to his home town and team that drafted him... although Gilbert is still a massive spender), but otherwise players (who matter anyways) are almost always heading to the top tier markets.

OKC, Spurs, Memphis etc aren't signing anyone despite being winners for half a decade now (and the spurs nearly 2 decades).

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                          That doesn't seem to be the case historically. Players (top players) have trended to the top markets. The ones that get them the most attention and spend the most money (both on them and teammates). There is the odd exception (LeBron back to his home town and team that drafted him... although Gilbert is still a massive spender), but otherwise players (who matter anyways) are almost always heading to the top tier markets.

OKC, Spurs, Memphis etc aren't signing anyone despite being winners for half a decade now (and the spurs nearly 2 decades).
                          Bellinelli, Bonner , Daye - Spurs have been milking the Raptors talent pool for years to win titles

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            Good, it will be a slap to the face to all the people in the Raptors organization who thought winning the Atlantic is some sort of a great achievement worthy of a celebration.

Now it's officially meaningless.
                            Agreed. All that matters is getting past the first round.

Comment

He's still one year away from being two years away.

Comment

Working...
                              X