like i said, a lot of IFS for them to make the playoffs

basically i'm just saying pump the brakes on the top 3 pick talk
    Oh... sorry.

Then you weren't talking to me.

I am thinking more 4 or 5 range

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      really?

i get they whiffed on a couple of the big FA's but i thought Lopez/O'Quinn were quality, value additions. We'll see about Affalo and Zinger/Grant was a great draft haul.
      Lopez is decent as a 5th best starter. He'll be their second best. O'Quinn is a decent backup C. He'll be their starting PF. Afflalo is done as a defender and is basically Jason Kapono at this point - can shoot the three and that's it. And Porzingis and Grant are both long term prospects who will probably be terrible this season even if they do pan out as good picks long term.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Lopez is decent as a 5th best starter. He'll be their second best. O'Quinn is a decent backup C. He'll be their starting PF. Afflalo is done as a defender and is basically Jason Kapono at this point - can shoot the three and that's it. And Porzingis and Grant are both long term prospects who will probably be terrible this season even if they do pan out as good picks long term.
        Lopez will be able to do what he excells at, cause Melo is gonna have 30+ percent of all usage, so lopez can defend and get garbage buckets.

Afflalo will only need to defend and shoot threes, I think He can regain his defense as easily as saying he is done.

OQuinn just needs to defend and rebound and make the odd bucket.

PG is of concern at this point but I think it is good enough to put them in that 7-10 range in the east.

That is if Melo stays healthy and driven

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
          Lopez will be able to do what he excells at, cause Melo is gonna have 30+ percent of all usage, so lopez can defend and get garbage buckets.

Afflalo will only need to defend and shoot threes, I think He can regain his defense as easily as saying he is done.

OQuinn just needs to defend and rebound and make the odd bucket.

PG is of concern at this point but I think it is good enough to put them in that 7-10 range in the east.

That is if Melo stays healthy and driven
          Did you even read DanH's post?

Lopez is arguably the 2nd best player on that team, in Portland he was #5. That is a huge problem as he is not a go-to scorer and will have to produce more offensively for them to be successful. Aldridge was every bit as potent as Melo, but Lopez had THREE other guys besides LMA (Lillard, Wes, Batum... arguably even Afflalo) ahead of him in the pecking order. He's going to be stretched beyond his capabilities as a player, this is Robin not Brook.

Afflalo is not a great defender, and while he is a good 3PT shooter it's going to be quite difficult for him to get open looks on a New York team with limited weapons.

O'Quinn is a backup level big.

Then you add in the fact that the Knicks have absolutely no credible bench players... the team is not good lol.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of it at this point. I don't see how New York is stronger than Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Washington, Indiana, Boston, or Orlando. And it's debatable that they're even on par with Brooklyn and Detroit. Would be a legit miracle if they made the playoffs even in the east.

Comment

• Galloway/Calderon/Grant
            Afflalo/Ledo
            Melo/Early
            O'Quinn/Porzingis/Williams
            Lopez/Robinson

That team is not making the playoffs.

Galloway and O'Quinn are not starters on playoff or even slightly below-average teams. Lopez, as stated above, is not good enough to be your second best player. Afflalo is decent. Melo is good when he feels like playing, but might give up again this year.

Their bench is nowhere near good enough to do anything. Yeah Porzingis might turn out to be great, but he's not going to be in year 1.

I'm not saying we're a lock for a pick in the 2-5 range, but with Denver not doing anything and the Knicks likely in the East's basement once again, we could be sitting on a very nice pick. Shouldn't be outside the Top 10 at worst.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              Did you even read DanH's post?

Lopez is arguably the 2nd best player on that team, in Portland he was #5. That is a huge problem as he is not a go-to scorer and will have to produce more offensively for them to be successful. Aldridge was every bit as potent as Melo, but Lopez had THREE other guys besides LMA (Lillard, Wes, Batum... arguably even Afflalo) ahead of him in the pecking order. He's going to be stretched beyond his capabilities as a player, this is Robin not Brook.

Afflalo is not a great defender, and while he is a good 3PT shooter it's going to be quite difficult for him to get open looks on a New York team with limited weapons.

O'Quinn is a backup level big.

Then you add in the fact that the Knicks have absolutely no credible bench players... the team is not good lol.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of it at this point. I don't see how New York is stronger than Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Washington, Indiana, Boston, or Orlando. And it's debatable that they're even on par with Brooklyn and Detroit. Would be a legit miracle if they made the playoffs even in the east.
              Of course I read the post, and I dont entirely disagree with it.

But Oquin is a very solid PF who will do fine starting in that role for NYK(I find it funny there were poster on here talking of him as our starting pf...), Lopez i think will play the same role in NYK that he did in Portland and have a little more statistical success due to not having so many players around him.

Afflalo I do not think is done, He has never been a good defender, but offensively i think he will return closer to his orlando form than what he was last season. The Triangle will get him shots.

And then there is Melo.
              Brooklyn, Detroit, Orlando, Philly do not have a melo. He is the big difference maker imo.

I see NYK ahead of both Brooklyn and Philly.

That leaves them competing with Orlando, Boston, Charlotte, Indy and Detroit. imo

If Melo goes for his 30ppg and shares the ball a little they could just as easily get into playoffs as finish bottom 2 in the east. He alone is the difference maker that could make or entirely break the season.

Comment

• The only team in the East I'd say has an outright worse starting 5 than NY is Philly.

Most teams at least start 4-5 starting caliber players. Other than Philly they're the only team in the East that doesn't, and they have a horrible bench. Tbh I see them starting off really badly, Melo checking out, and then things getting even worse.

Denver imo has no chance of making the playoffs either. They just traded their best player. There are basically 7 playoff locks in the west assuming decent health (GSW, SAS, OKC, HOU, LAC, MEM, NOP). Then you have Dallas and Utah competing for that last spot. Teams like Sacramento and Portland also look stronger than Denver. I think Denver only projects to be better than Minnesota and maybe the Lakers out west.

Comment

• Hate piling crap on the Nuggets but Minny is looking pretty good. The TWolve bench looks better than the Knicks starters.

2016 looks weak and if some of the one and dones and euro drop out its a bad one. Top of drafts are usually decent but picks out of the lottery are going to be crap.

Comment

But Oquin is a very solid PF who will do fine starting in that role for NYK(I find it funny there were poster on here talking of him as our starting pf...), Lopez i think will play the same role in NYK that he did in Portland and have a little more statistical success due to not having so many players around him.

Afflalo I do not think is done, He has never been a good defender, but offensively i think he will return closer to his orlando form than what he was last season. The Triangle will get him shots.

And then there is Melo.
                    Brooklyn, Detroit, Orlando, Philly do not have a melo. He is the big difference maker imo.

That leaves them competing with Orlando, Boston, Charlotte, Indy and Detroit. imo

If Melo goes for his 30ppg and shares the ball a little they could just as easily get into playoffs as finish bottom 2 in the east. He alone is the difference maker that could make or entirely break the season.
                    You do realize Melo played last year right? About half the season. Where was this monstrous impact when they were 5-36 and languishing at the bottom of the east? One star player does not a team make, Melo is not LeBron.

Even Miami in the 2007-08 season had Dwyane Wade for 51 games and went 15-67.

Comment

The only team in the East I'd say has an outright worse starting 5 than NY is Philly.

Most teams at least start 4-5 starting caliber players. Other than Philly they're the only team in the East that doesn't, and they have a horrible bench. Tbh I see them starting off really badly, Melo checking out, and then things getting even worse.

Denver imo has no chance of making the playoffs either. They just traded their best player. There are basically 7 playoff locks in the west assuming decent health (GSW, SAS, OKC, HOU, LAC, MEM, NOP). Then you have Dallas and Utah competing for that last spot. Teams like Sacramento and Portland also look stronger than Denver. I think Denver only projects to be better than Minnesota and maybe the Lakers out west.
                      I hope you are right, but I will remain reserved.

And Denver may have a addition by subtraction effect there.

If Gallo is healthy and Mudiay can adapt then they wont be as bad as expected.

Mudiay
                      Chandler
                      Gallo
                      Faried
                      Nurkic

Not terrbile, not great but neither were we when we traded Rudy Gay.

Comment

You do realize Melo played last year right? About half the season. Where was this monstrous impact when they were 5-36 and languishing at the bottom of the east? One star player does not a team make, Melo is not LeBron.

Don't forget Melo is getting older. Most places have him playing SF something he hasn't been able to do in about two seasons.

Comment

That is why I previously said that if Melo is healthy and engaged.

If he plays disinterested and hurt then no, they will suck.

But if he pays like he can, then all bets are off.

Comment

And then there is Melo.

woah

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              Hate piling crap on the Nuggets but Minny is looking pretty good. The TWolve bench looks better than the Knicks starters.

2016 looks weak and if some of the one and dones and euro drop out its a bad one. Top of drafts are usually decent but picks out of the lottery are going to be crap.
                              Many of us have been saying that Minny looks good year after year, but it's always just on paper, season comes and they suck, usually because everybody is taking turns with injuries and there's never any chemistry. Plus they don't believe in spacing.

Comment

• doesn't help when Flip Saunders is the coach
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X