Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Except Portis was a late lottery pick and he dropped. When I was watching the draft I lost my shit that we didnt take him. MU has his reasons but its not hindsight for us to say this. A lot of people wanted Portis and when he dropped I thought it was a no brainer
    True. Kind of like when Ed Davis dropped, it made that pick a no-brainer for BC, and then when Drummond dropped.... oh well.

Two things are pretty annoying about the pick (even in 100% hindsight, bullshit): (1) Wright was drafted to contribute right away as a backup and he could be like 25 years old before he gets any serious run. (2) Portis, as a 20-yr old, would have a legitimate shot starting PF - the Raps position of most need.

Have to think that Portis' age was the biggest factor in the Raps not even making contact with him. The Wright pick has Casey's fingerprints all over it: i.e., he blamed defense for last season's defensive collapse and he preferred MU to draft a "veteran", as far as experience level goes. That was the entire theme of the off-season - shore up the defense with "Casey's guys" who can play wright away. Powell fits the same profile.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      6'5 point guards who can play D are pretty rare too.
      Can he play D at the NBA level? We really don't know that yet. I'd love to find out, instead of watching Lowry slowly grind down.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Can he play D at the NBA level? We really don't know that yet. I'd love to find out, instead of watching Lowry slowly grind down.
        He's the only guy who stayed in front of Barea.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          I think it depends on what you are drafting a player for. If you are drafting them for what they are, sure. If you are drafting on potential (which I would argue you should ALWAYS do even with later draft picks), age is a critical component.
          I'm sure I saw a study a couple of years ago that concluded senior lottery picks were very low value choices, but later in the draft, there was very little separating seniors from their more youthful counterparts.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            We didn't know whether any of the picks could play in the NBA until they got a chance.

Backup PG who project as very good defenders and can guard both back court positions - not exactly dime a dozen. Long raw power forward projects - seen more of those lately (some have even panned out).
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Any idea why Valentine isn't tracking higher? He averages damn near a triple double. Is it because seniors are frowned upon?
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                any idea why valentine isn't tracking higher? He averages damn near a triple double. Is it because seniors are frowned upon?
                yes
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Any idea why Valentine isn't tracking higher? He averages damn near a triple double. Is it because seniors are frowned upon?
                  Jimmer's fault.

Comment

Any idea why Valentine isn't tracking higher? He averages damn near a triple double. Is it because seniors are frowned upon?
                    All the better for us. If we can get him with our own pick, then amazing.

But yeah, seniors track lower until March Madness approaches. Right now, all the big boards are enamoured with potential guys who may not produce enough in the college season to get drafted (remember when MacAdoo was projected as a top 5 pick - then he actually played some college games?).

Once some of the shine goes off the youngin's, better upper classmen will start to show up on the big boards more.

Dude is a front runner for POY. Being a senior didn't hurt Kaminsky's draft stock last year.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• sad that you punish a guy for getting an education
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I'd love it if Valentine fell to our 2016 pick
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• I'd be more likely to gamble on upside near the top of the draft. But from about 11 back to 60 its a crapshoot. Why not gamble on guys with a larger body of work or one proven NBA skill.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            I'd love it if Valentine fell to our 2016 pick
                            I'd be hesitant to use a top ten pick on him but this year seems to lack a guaranteed all-star outside of top 5. Maybe we reach if we land at 12 - 13

Comment

sad that you punish a guy for getting an education
                              I don't think it is that, so much as their reputation takes a hit since players often stay in school to improve their draft stock, and as such a senior must have had a poor draft stock for several years, and now, players that they would have been comparable to have several years NBA experience under their belts and who knows how much a guy like Bruno might be absolutely destroying college competition if he wasn't on an NBA roster instead.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                I don't think it is that, so much as their reputation takes a hit since players often stay in school to improve their draft stock, and as such a senior must have had a poor draft stock for several years, and now, players that they would have been comparable to have several years NBA experience under their belts and who knows how much a guy like Bruno might be absolutely destroying college competition if he wasn't on an NBA roster instead.
                                It's possible but the flip side to that coin is, the NBA is no guarantee, and right now you have someone paying you to go to school and get an education. I think you could probably sort that out pretty quick in an interview. Another upside is I would have less questions about character, which can have huge effect on a locker room. Does a 4 year College educated Okafor get into a fight at a strip club? Maybe, maybe not, but if I had money on the line I know where I'd put it

Comment

Working...
                                X