Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jamal still consensus number 4?

Comment

• I wonder how high Denzel Valentine will climb this year. Guy looks like he'll be either Player of the Year or the runner-up.

The Senior G/F on a top ranked Spartans squad is currently scoring 31.6% of the team's points, and assisting on another 30.4%. Yes, he is directly generating 62% of his team's offence. Insane. In the early season heavyweight tilt vs Kansas, Valentine was either scoring or assisting on 57 of their 79 points (roughly 72%).

I am very Michigan State biased (great team with a great coach), but I can't help but wonder if Valentine ends up in the Raps draft slot range (either pick). He was initially projected to go later in the first (26th), but those boards change so fast and he surely will climb. At 6'6, 220 lbs, he's likely a winger although he isn't that much smaller than another Spartan senior star that has evolved from outside to inside game (Draymond Green). Green was a better rebounder and defender, but Valentine is a much better passer and shooter (41.6% last year, 41.9% this year from deep). It's not unconceivable to see Valentine offering as much versatility on offence as Green does on defence.

Here's a bit from a DraftExpress post after the game vs Kansas

"Valentine's elite combination of ball-handling, footwork and ability to operate at different speeds made him extremely difficult for Kansas to stay in front of, as he is liable to thread the needle with a perfect pass, pull-up for an off-balance jump-shot, or hit some kind of circus floater/runner/sky-hook from all kinds of angles inside the arc. Kansas tried every strategy possible to slow him down on the pick and roll, but he would just wait patiently to see how the defense would react, keep his dribble alive, and then make the correct read to continue to frustrate them.

In addition to his ability to handle the ball and find the open man, its Valentine's shooting ability, both with his feet set and off the dribble, that make him such a versatile offensive player. Michigan State repeatedly ran him off quick-hitting screens to free him up for perimeter looks, and he hit a number of difficult pull-ups with a hand in his face when the defense closed out too aggressively.

While Valentine does not possess prototypical NBA athleticism or a great frame, his productivity, skill-level and basketball IQ make him very appealing as a pro prospect."

Anyways, an interesting guy to watch moving forward. He was on Team USA at the Pan Am games that won a Bronze, and that should help elevate his exposure beyond the Big10 until March Madness starts and Michigan State push for another Final Four appearance.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Thoughts on Grayson Allen?
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          Thoughts on Grayson Allen?
          Was impressed with how intelligent and poised he was in big games last year. Showed a lot of maturity and BBIQ for a freshman.

Haven't seen enough to have much of an opinion beyond that though. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Yeah he's the guy that i'm keeping a close eye on in this draft. Whenever i see him play, the guy that he keeps reminding me of is Brad Beal(flashier version).
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Yeah he's the guy that i'm keeping a close eye on in this draft. Whenever i see him play, the guy that he keeps reminding me of is Brad Beal(flashier version).
              Good comparison but I'd say Allen is more athletic than Beal
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Simmons dropped 43 pts 14 rbs 7 ast 3 stl and 5 blk today. Guy is a BEAST.
                And people still don't think tanking is a good idea in any sense....

Imagine if we had a legit star

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  And people still don't think tanking is a good idea in any sense....

Imagine if we had a legit star
                  Well it can be but there's no guarantees of getting the #1 pick. Philly has tanked the past 3 years and still not gotten a superstar player.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                    Well it can be but there's no guarantees of getting the #1 pick. Philly has tanked the past 3 years and still not gotten a superstar player.
                    Spurs getting LMA puts them closer to a title than Sixers or Lakers getting Simmons. Heat got a title not Cavs

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Good comparison but I'd say Allen is more athletic than Beal
                      Beal is the stronger, more imposing athlete - 3.5 more inches of wingspan and more than a few lbs. Allen should be able to get stronger though, and I like the skill level from what I've seen and he moves like a point guard on D, pretty impressive.
                      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Dec 4, 2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• I like the idea of upping our overall skill level with this draft pick - ie passing & shooting skills - without giving up much in the way of physicality. Those last two prospects ^ seem to bring some of that balance.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Wouldn't be surprised if one of Masai's big moves this summer is trading up in this draft - he's going to want 'his guy'.
                          All in for Ben Simmons?

Comment

• Masai Uhearme wrote: View Post
                            All in for Ben Simmons?
                            All in if you mean trading DD + NY/DEN pick, then I'm all for it

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              Spurs getting LMA puts them closer to a title than Sixers or Lakers getting Simmons. Heat got a title not Cavs
                              Thats not really a fair comparison though. The 76ers never had a shot at a free agent like LMA. They don't have the best all around franchise in the NBA and arguably even just in major North American sports. A good alternate example to Philly is Charlotte in my opinion. Developed a few good players and signed Big Al.

Is getting a pretty good free agent to add to some decent talent more likely to win a chip or at least push in the playoffs than tanking? I don't know.

Comment

• Masai Uhearme wrote: View Post
                                All in for Ben Simmons?
                                I don't think any team that is in position to pick Simmons even answers the phone to field trade offers.

Overall our trading position isn't as strong as some other teams. If there is a marquee guy falling in the draft and a team is willing to move down, we would lose any bidding war to Boston (who offered tons of picks to move up to get Winslow last year).

Comment

Working...
                                X