Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Delon Wright

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Ringer article can be found here:
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4...wright-raptors

    Interesting take on bad teams drafting PG's. And how the better approach might be to trade for a second tier PG who can quarter back a team as opposed to waiting for a bad team to develop their newly drafted PG.

    The article suggested the Suns should trade one or two of their picks to Toronto/Boston for Wright/Rozier instead of using their pick to draft a PG. With Wright/Rozier entering RFA in a couple of years, they might get too expensive to keep.

    Personally I'd rather keep Wright but with the way he's playing these playoffs.. he's going to have a lot of value in the trade market (as will Rozier).

    Comment



    • Comment


      • Surprising that there hasn't been much chatter about this but I guess now that we got a chance to see that Kawhi exists in a Raptors uniform, we can think about this. 11 days til the rookie contract extension deadline. Does Delon get one? My guess is yes. Though it may eat into cap space, it gives cost certainty and it makes a tangible number that may be helpful down the line in trade scenarios.

        Comment


        • Jclaw wrote: View Post
          Surprising that there hasn't been much chatter about this but I guess now that we got a chance to see that Kawhi exists in a Raptors uniform, we can think about this. 11 days til the rookie contract extension deadline. Does Delon get one? My guess is yes. Though it may eat into cap space, it gives cost certainty and it makes a tangible number that may be helpful down the line in trade scenarios.
          If they can get him locked up under 10M, I think they leap on it. If his asking price is too high, they may wait it out and see if the market leaves him behind next summer.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • DanH wrote: View Post
            If they can get him locked up under 10M, I think they leap on it. If his asking price is too high, they may wait it out and see if the market leaves him behind next summer.
            Itll be interesting cause I think he could make a lot more money if he plays this year out than an extension would offer. Plus many teams have cap space this offseason, and I have to say Wright could fit very well in damn near any backcourt. If he develops into the guy many of us think he can be, he would pair really well with an all star guard. That being said I think he and FVV could be the Raps starting backcourt in 2 years.

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              If they can get him locked up under 10M, I think they leap on it. If his asking price is too high, they may wait it out and see if the market leaves him behind next summer.
              I think it happens, considering Kawhi/Green are up this summer, and Ibaka/Lowry the next.

              We have Kawhi's bird rights too, so it wouldn't affect that, if I'm not mistaken Dan?

              Delon will have quite the market as a restricted free agent, though. Also, he seems to have taken the "fan trade proposals" quite hard.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

              Comment


              • ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                I think it happens, considering Kawhi/Green are up this summer, and Ibaka/Lowry the next.

                We have Kawhi's bird rights too, so it wouldn't affect that, if I'm not mistaken Dan?

                Delon will have quite the market as a restricted free agent, though. Also, he seems to have taken the "fan trade proposals" quite hard.
                The only effect will be in terms of total salary committed and tax considerations. We have the ability to retain everyone on the team come free agency.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • I would probably take the safe approach and let RFA dictate his value. How many teams in the NBA are looking for a backup PG? Wouldn't want another Norm situation (not that Delon will turn into a dud), but after Lowry is Delon our future? He's already 26 so it's not like he's a young pup anymore.

                  Comment


                  • planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I would probably take the safe approach and let RFA dictate his value. How many teams in the NBA are looking for a backup PG? Wouldn't want another Norm situation (not that Delon will turn into a dud), but after Lowry is Delon our future? He's already 26 so it's not like he's a young pup anymore.
                    I think if we rebuild, having Delon locked up could make him a valuable trade chip (once he steps into a bigger role as Lowry is traded). And if we don't, having our young role players locked up is key to keeping our depth at a workable level. All of that is contingent on him being moderately cheap though. If his asking price is high I definitely wait it out and see if the market fails him.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I would probably take the safe approach and let RFA dictate his value. How many teams in the NBA are looking for a backup PG? Wouldn't want another Norm situation (not that Delon will turn into a dud), but after Lowry is Delon our future? He's already 26 so it's not like he's a young pup anymore.
                      Seems more likely the organization runs with VanVleet rather than Delon, plus FVV is under contract and 24.

                      In just his second year, he was a sixth man of the year finalist and probably the most important piece of the bench mob that was so successful -- you'd have to think he'll have more success under Nurse and likely playing more minutes.

                      VanVleet is the closest to Lowry's mold too, and as much as people do talk about Wright and his size defensively, FVV can guard despite his size, and picks up full-court too. I can't recall too many occassions where he's beat off the dribble.


                      ... plus... we have the great Lorenzo Brown.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                      Comment


                      • DanH wrote: View Post
                        I think if we rebuild, having Delon locked up could make him a valuable trade chip (once he steps into a bigger role as Lowry is traded). And if we don't, having our young role players locked up is key to keeping our depth at a workable level. All of that is contingent on him being moderately cheap though. If his asking price is high I definitely wait it out and see if the market fails him.
                        That's the thing, can't really sell him on potential anymore, considering he is 26, and has largely played a role as a backup/fill-in starter (which is a great role for him). I don't think his market value is as much as VanVleet's when he re-signed.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                        Comment


                        • ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                          That's the thing, can't really sell him on potential anymore, considering he is 26, and has largely played a role as a backup/fill-in starter (which is a great role for him). I don't think his market value is as much as VanVleet's when he re-signed.
                          Yeah, but VanVleet's value would have been far higher in this coming summer. There wasn't a lot of cap room this past summer, while this coming summer is swimming in it. And FVV's unique RFA status really restricted his market - Wright is a straight up regular RFA.

                          That said, I still think they lock him up if they can keep him under 10. Above that and they risk the market, because you never know when it might go dry. And maybe that's an argument for letting him go to free agency and hoping his price is more down below the MLE. But with the rotation they've built here, it would be best to get Wright locked up rather than risk him getting an offer too big and having to let him walk if that option is available.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                            Seems more likely the organization runs with VanVleet rather than Delon, plus FVV is under contract and 24.

                            In just his second year, he was a sixth man of the year finalist and probably the most important piece of the bench mob that was so successful -- you'd have to think he'll have more success under Nurse and likely playing more minutes.

                            VanVleet is the closest to Lowry's mold too, and as much as people do talk about Wright and his size defensively, FVV can guard despite his size, and picks up full-court too. I can't recall too many occassions where he's beat off the dribble.


                            ... plus... we have the great Lorenzo Brown.
                            I mean, they can easily play together, as we have seen. They both can play on and off ball, plus Wright can defend 1-3 relatively well. By no means is a it a one or the other.

                            I think Wright would have quite a bit of interest next off season tbh. I could see teams like Indiana, Pheonix, and Philly all having interest.

                            Comment


                            • DanH wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, but VanVleet's value would have been far higher in this coming summer. There wasn't a lot of cap room this past summer, while this coming summer is swimming in it. And FVV's unique RFA status really restricted his market - Wright is a straight up regular RFA.

                              That said, I still think they lock him up if they can keep him under 10. Above that and they risk the market, because you never know when it might go dry. And maybe that's an argument for letting him go to free agency and hoping his price is more down below the MLE. But with the rotation they've built here, it would be best to get Wright locked up rather than risk him getting an offer too big and having to let him walk if that option is available.
                              I agree. It's really the danger of restricted free agency. I assume Delon's value is under $10M a year, because, again, considering what VanVleet got as a backup, and the current market for point guards all around, he's not getting paid unless it's Phoenix, like DogeLover1234 mentioned below.

                              If anything, I assume his number is lower than VanVleet's but close.

                              DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                              I mean, they can easily play together, as we have seen. They both can play on and off ball, plus Wright can defend 1-3 relatively well. By no means is a it a one or the other.

                              I think Wright would have quite a bit of interest next off season tbh. I could see teams like Indiana, Pheonix, and Philly all having interest.
                              As mentioned above, the real only concern is RFA -- Delon could wait until summer, market dries up, the Raptors get him for cheaper than he is/might be, or, he has a big season, and gets madly overpaid and the Raptors lose an asset.

                              I simply compared VanVleet to Wright for contractual market value, and that, from my end, if there was a situation where it was one or the other, it's probably VanVleet considering the reasons I mentioned above.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                              Comment


                              • Someone will offer him way more than 10 probably 16

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X