X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Off topic but can we afford to give the entire bench mob FVV or Norm money? Cause that is where the bar is set at this point.
    Norms days are numbered I think once more extensions are needed. One bright spot is not having to extend Poeltl who will probably become a 10 or 12 million dollar player in San Antone

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Antoine brown is our 3rd string PG. Delon Wright is backup backcourt. This isnt 1999 we need to start getting rid of these rigid positional spots we label players with
    Don't you mean Lorenzo Williams? Fans really should know this guy's name, management loves him for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Off topic but can we afford to give the entire bench mob FVV or Norm money? Cause that is where the bar is set at this point.
    Yeah that will be the problem at some point, already is a bit right now with Delon. A lot of dominoes will inform those decisions. If Kawhi re-signs and Masai keeps building with this group, ideally you start phasing in guys like FVV, Delon, and Siakam as guys like Lowry and Ibaka age and phase out. So if you can line some of that up you increase the salaries of young guys as the aging vets start taking smaller deals or just walk off into the sunset (Ibaka & his grandkids).

But at some point here at least a couple guys here will get squeezed out. 10 guys ahead of Norm in the rotation last year, they can't all get paid like he did. Hopefully the guys you can't keep can be used in trades that keep building the roster.
    Last edited by S.R.; Mon Oct 15, 2018, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    This is what I mean. The whole bench mob got somewhere around 17-20 mpg sure, but that means Delon was used as much as anybody coming off the bench, which still means we can drop using "3rd string point guard" as a descriptor implying he'll earn something typical for a 3rd stringer. Typical 3rd stringers at any position don't play 20 mpg, they play far less.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    anyone know when the deadline is for an extension? Is it 11:59pm?
    6 pm et.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Anyone know when the deadline is for an extension? Is it 11:59pm?

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Antoine brown is our 3rd string PG. Delon Wright is backup backcourt. This isnt 1999 we need to start getting rid of these rigid positional spots we label players with

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    For sure. Wright is, at worse, a top-notch backup PG, if not a borderline starter in this league.
    This is what I mean. The whole bench mob got somewhere around 17-20 mpg sure, but that means Delon was used as much as anybody coming off the bench, which still means we can drop using "3rd string point guard" as a descriptor implying he'll earn something typical for a 3rd stringer. Typical 3rd stringers at any position don't play 20 mpg, they play far less.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Sure, but 9th in minutes is still a status that "third string PG" doesn't even remotely describe.

I don't think Green will play that much at SG except with the starters - it'll be a battle between him and CJ for bench SF minutes. Bench needs the ball handling too much to play Miles and Green beside each other much. And if I'm Delon, I'm not exactly shaking in my boots worrying about Norm taking my minutes.
    For sure. Wright is, at worse, a top-notch backup PG, if not a borderline starter in this league.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    5th is deceiving, though. Wright's in a group of 7 players who were all pretty close to that 20 MPG mark. And he was only 9th in total minutes played, which is more important than MPG come contract time.

And most of Delon's minutes were at SG with FVV at PG, so if Green and Powell play up to their expected levels, then some of those SG minutes could dry up. Nice problem to have for Masai.
    Sure, but 9th in minutes is still a status that "third string PG" doesn't even remotely describe.

I don't think Green will play that much at SG except with the starters - it'll be a battle between him and CJ for bench SF minutes. Bench needs the ball handling too much to play Miles and Green beside each other much. And if I'm Delon, I'm not exactly shaking in my boots worrying about Norm taking my minutes.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Can we stop using "3rd string pg" to imply he's way down the rotation somewhere and therefore should earn a smaller contract?

Delon friggin Wright was 5th on the team in mpg last year. 5th. He and his agent both know this. Masai's a deity if he can lock him up now for as little as 10m/yr.
    5th is deceiving, though. Wright's in a group of 7 players who were all pretty close to that 20 MPG mark. And he was only 9th in total minutes played, which is more important than MPG come contract time.

And most of Delon's minutes were at SG with FVV at PG, so if Green and Powell play up to their expected levels, then some of those SG minutes could dry up. Nice problem to have for Masai.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Can we stop using "3rd string pg" to imply he's way down the rotation somewhere and therefore should earn a smaller contract?

Delon friggin Wright was 5th on the team in mpg last year. 5th. He and his agent both know this. Masai's a deity if he can lock him up now for as little as 10m/yr.

Leave a comment:

• grindhouse
    replied
    Here’s how I see it the raptors need to evaluate what they have in delon. They can’t do that with him as third string. There is such thing as being too deep which I think we are.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Well, Delon will get more minutes than a "3rd PG" would. He essentially gets backup SG minutes. He may get squeezed a little this year because of the rotation being crazy deep, but he'll get consistent playing time.

Still, I'd sign him to any extension up to 10M, and if he wants more, wait it out.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I think something similar to what Freddie got would be acceptable but over a longer term. (4 years 36 mil) Delon seems like the type of guy that would understand his value in relation to what Freddie is making.

Those two are the future at the position, might as well lock them into reasonable contracts to keep that young core together.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X