No announcement yet.

Everything Delon Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Wright is a finished product. He improved his 3pt. shooting huge last year and we'll see if that trend continues.

Wright has tons of talent, but he is a pass first point guard. He doesn't look for his shot unless it's late in the shot clock. If Nurse pushes him to be more aggressive you could see a huge impact from him.

Wright would be suited to playing with Kawhi, a good shooting guard (Klay, Beal, Butler etc.), a role that doesn't push him to dominate the ball but just distribute and spot up when needed.

And Wright is a plus defender, there is no doubt about that.

Comment

• Masai may have learned from the Norm deal and will wait for free agency on Delon. If he locks him in now, I believe he can't trade him for the whole year either. So that's a factor to in his decision making.

Delon might get some noise during free agency but if the price is too high to match I could see Masai giving up on him too. It's a gamble worth taking I think.

Comment

• Best case scenario is if Masai locks him up for a number close to Fred's. You keep an asset, still fairly young, still improving, a positive impact on both ends, etc. He's a perfect system guy who can most certainly play a read-&-react type of game. I think Delon is one of those guys that will be around the league for 10-15 years simply because he's skilled, smart, rarely makes mistakes, etc.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          Best case scenario is if Masai locks him up for a number close to Fred's. You keep an asset, still fairly young, still improving, a positive impact on both ends, etc. He's a perfect system guy who can most certainly play a read-&-react type of game. I think Delon is one of those guys that will be around the league for 10-15 years simply because he's skilled, smart, rarely makes mistakes, etc.
          All that is true, but he's still the 3rd PG in the rotation.. and at best a backup SG (a position Norm can play). I suspect Delon is the one prospect chip that Masai has up his sleeves to make a trade happen. If he locks him in now, he can't use that chip until the summer. So no real way to improve the roster during the deadline if he needs to.

And he's still an RFA so Masai can match any offer. It's not like we lose Delon if he doesn't get an extension. It just means the cost could be higher to retain him (although I'm skeptical if it would).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            All that is true, but he's still the 3rd PG in the rotation.. and at best a backup SG (a position Norm can play). I suspect Delon is the one prospect chip that Masai has up his sleeves to make a trade happen. If he locks him in now, he can't use that chip until the summer. So no real way to improve the roster during the deadline if he needs to.

And he's still an RFA so Masai can match any offer. It's not like we lose Delon if he doesn't get an extension. It just means the cost could be higher to retain him (although I'm skeptical if it would).
            He is now but this contract does not start until next year where he could be a year away from being 1st in the rotation (no Bruno jokes please). One of the main reasons for him not to be in that position would be the success of Kyle and Kawhi staying and then he would be a valuable trade piece.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
              He is now but this contract does not start until next year where he could be a year away from being 1st in the rotation (no Bruno jokes please). One of the main reasons for him not to be in that position would be the success of Kyle and Kawhi staying and then he would be a valuable trade piece.
              But that's another good reason not to extend him. He's going to get minutes like a 3rd string PG this year. His next contract should be a bargain even if he wasn't extended now.

If we don't extend him and wait a year.. there is a risk. Fred could get hurt or Delon has a superb playoffs. And then his contract could be higher than what he got from an extension.. but the chances are he'd probably be looked at as a 3rd string PG by other scouts/teams and will get a cheaper deal to stay with the Raptors.

If I had a vote I'd say wait until the summer. I'd rather keep the trade asset in hand for the year while we have Kawhi, and risk that his contract in the summer of 2019 will be just as good as it would be now if we extended him now.

Norm really shat the bed once he got his extension. I don't want the same fate for Delon. This year is too important for any kind of disruption like that.

Comment

• Ill bet players are less likely to stay a yr after when team doesnt extend.

Not sure why theres mention of “hes a 3rd string pg” he seems to spend at least half his minutes at sg no?

Lock him up. Nevermind the money your saving for 1 year you are probably already getting a “home” discount and save 3/4 a yr so grab him.

Comment

• I think we have a bigger sample size from Delon, we know what his floor is.

With Norm it was based off his playoff performances, he really didn’t earn his place in the rotation consistently before he got his extension. Or since

Norms was based on potential, and he might earn his contract in the future...

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                    Ill bet players are less likely to stay a yr after when team doesnt extend.

Not sure why theres mention of “hes a 3rd string pg” he seems to spend at least half his minutes at sg no?

Lock him up. Nevermind the money your saving for 1 year you are probably already getting a “home” discount and save 3/4 a yr so grab him.
                    Delon is an RFA this summer. If we don't extend him and another team offers him a contract we can match it. Norm was a bit different since he was a second rounder.. he would have had a Gilbert Arenas type of contract. A team could offer him a deal but make the first year or two really small and the last two really, really big.. like what happened with Landry Fields. So Masai probably feared that possibility and extended him.

My point about the "3rd string PG" was that he's not getting many minutes as a Raptors this year. So his next contract shouldn't be too high.. especially if a team like Phoenix or Orlando were interested in him. I don't see him getting any more than $10M.. and now with Rozier on the market it thins it even more for Delon.

Worst case though is some team offers him like a $12M+ per year deal. We can still match it but it might be too much for Masai. That's the gamble.. and I'm personally willing to make that gamble and I hope Masai is too. I don't think he's going to get more than $10M in the open market next summer.

We might get him cheaper now (but I don't think we will). If we don't extend him, he's a guy we can use in a trade (once you extend him, he cannot be traded until the draft/summer) and that's the extra bonus. And if some team offers him a contract in the summer we can just match it (and we should since Delon is a great player to have on the roster).

Comment

• We should hear something on Monday

Comment

• I think something similar to what Freddie got would be acceptable but over a longer term. (4 years 36 mil) Delon seems like the type of guy that would understand his value in relation to what Freddie is making.

Those two are the future at the position, might as well lock them into reasonable contracts to keep that young core together.

Comment

• Well, Delon will get more minutes than a "3rd PG" would. He essentially gets backup SG minutes. He may get squeezed a little this year because of the rotation being crazy deep, but he'll get consistent playing time.

Still, I'd sign him to any extension up to 10M, and if he wants more, wait it out.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Here’s how I see it the raptors need to evaluate what they have in delon. They can’t do that with him as third string. There is such thing as being too deep which I think we are.

Comment

• Can we stop using "3rd string pg" to imply he's way down the rotation somewhere and therefore should earn a smaller contract?

Delon friggin Wright was 5th on the team in mpg last year. 5th. He and his agent both know this. Masai's a deity if he can lock him up now for as little as 10m/yr.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Can we stop using "3rd string pg" to imply he's way down the rotation somewhere and therefore should earn a smaller contract?

Delon friggin Wright was 5th on the team in mpg last year. 5th. He and his agent both know this. Masai's a deity if he can lock him up now for as little as 10m/yr.
                                5th is deceiving, though. Wright's in a group of 7 players who were all pretty close to that 20 MPG mark. And he was only 9th in total minutes played, which is more important than MPG come contract time.

And most of Delon's minutes were at SG with FVV at PG, so if Green and Powell play up to their expected levels, then some of those SG minutes could dry up. Nice problem to have for Masai.

Comment

Working...
                                X