Everything Delon Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MACK11 wrote: View Post
    I like this pick but his age is just such a downer. The guy will be 24 halfway into his rookie season. He's basically gonna be in his prime by his sophomore season.
    This team had a 27 year old as a backup point guard, now you are composing about athe back up point guard who is 3.5 years younger!

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
      I'm for Tobias Harris. Is it possible ORL doesn't match with hezonja now as you said? And I'm not aware of our cap, do we have the funds to make a strong bid?
      I am for trading for Terrance Jones , before signing a swing man. The PF position is the main concern. But with almost 22 million to spend before you hit the salary cap - trading for jones gives you 20 million dollars to pursue a new a SF and resign LWilliams and still have monies before you hit the luxury tax

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
        I am for trading for Terrance Jones , before signing a swing man. The PF position is the main concern. But with almost 22 million to spend before you hit the salary cap - trading for jones gives you 20 million dollars to pursue a new a SF and resign LWilliams and still have monies before you hit the luxury tax
        I'm for this idea of signing Jones but I believe Masai is trying to sign a big name @ PF as well during free agency rather than a SF. There really is not many solid available SFs on the market this year during free agency. Alternatively, I like absorbing Lee's contract if we can get Looney from GS as well as a kicker.
        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Looking at the player, I think the pick is fine, he is a bit older than most draft choices but he seems to have a more well-rounded game to go with it.

i just hope this isn't a "casey pick". rumors of him being on board with the pick disturb me. Hopefully, him being "on board" simply mean that Masai said "we're drafting him", and Casey said "OK".

I don't want any more of Casey's "basketball" philosophies in this team.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
            Looking at the player, I think the pick is fine, he is a bit older than most draft choices but he seems to have a more well-rounded game to go with it.

i just hope this isn't a "casey pick". rumors of him being on board with the pick disturb me. Hopefully, him being "on board" simply mean that Masai said "we're drafting him", and Casey said "OK".

I don't want any more of Casey's "basketball" philosophies in this team.
            But things turned out really well when we listened to Casey in 2012.

/s

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Casey will not play a rookie, especially one who can't create his own shot. If MU doesn't get a PG, Lou if he re-signs or even Demar will be playing PG. Not sure if Wright as a rookie is better than Julyan Stone
              I don't agree. Guards tend to transition easier to the pros than some of the other positions. I don't know how much he will be playing but I think he will be playing sooner rather than later. He's a senior, he's really big and knows how to use that size by playing some good D. If he's going to stick in the league he's probably going to make an impact earlier on in his career; this isn't a project pick. Casey needs to support this pick and play the man. He's it and Casey is crazy if he asks DeMar to be the floor general - That version of the Raptors goes no where anytime soon.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I don't agree. Guards tend to transition easier to the pros than some of the other positions. I don't know how much he will be playing but I think he will be playing sooner rather than later. He's a senior, he's big and knows how to play D. If he's going to stick in the league he's probably going to make an impact earlier on in his career; this isn't a project pick.
                Didnt we have a defensive stopper, who is a poor shooter, but efficient scorer, on the roster who warmed the bench for most of last year?

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
                  Didnt we have a defensive stopper, who is a poor shooter, but efficient scorer, on the roster who warmed the bench for most of last year?
                  I threw in another line in my post. Casey needs to do whatever MU wants if he wants to stick in Toronto. If the results aren't there then you damn well best be on the same page as your boss because you have no safety net (results).

This team is nowhere near a championship. What they did here was land a guy who can play now a little and who has huge upside if he develops some range.

Comment

More information on Wright from write up on winning 2015 Bob Cousy Award:

Utah senior point guard Delon Wright won the 2015 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award. Wright beat out fellow finalists T.J. McConnell of Arizona, Tyus Jones of Duke, Kevin Pangos of Gonzaga, and Fred VanVleet of Wichita State. Wright faced every other finalist this season except Pangos. Wright joins the excellent group of previous award winners, including Shabazz Napier, Connecticut (2014), Trey Burke, Michigan (2013), Kendall Marshall, North Carolina (2012), Kemba Walker, Connecticut (2011), Greivis Vasquez, Maryland (2010), Ty Lawson, North Carolina (2009), DJ Augustin, Texas (2008), Acie Law, Texas A & M (2007), Dee Brown, Illinois (2006), Raymond Felton, North Carolina (2005) and Jameer Nelson, St. Joseph's (2004). Wright was the first player from Utah to win the award that was created in the 2003-04 season.

Wright led Utah to the Sweet 16 and a 26-9 overall record. For his strong play this season, he was also named an AP and NABC All-American. Wright finished first on the team with 14.5 points, 5.1 assists and 2.1 steals per game, and he was second with 4.9 rebounds. He had a 19.1 efficiency rating, the best in the Pac-12. In his two seasons at Utah, he led the Runnin' Utes to 47 wins. He also finished third in career steals (155). He also had 1,022 career points, 397 rebounds, 352 assists, and 77 blocks. Wright was named first team All-Pac-12 in both of his seasons at Utah.

Wright winning the Cousy Award further calls into question how he could be passed over for Pac-12 Player of the Year.

http://www.blocku.com/2015/4/10/8385...ob-cousy-award

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      More information on Wright from write up on winning 2015 Bob Cousy Award:
                      Nice numbers. Eager to see how it translates into the NBA.

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
                        Delon Wright just needs to not destroy the locker room and he'll be fine lol.

I really don't know about this pick. It's VERY hard for PGs who don't shoot the three to thrive in the NBA. I guess the ideal comp would be Livingston, but his height let's him abuse other guards in the post...Wright had better be an absolute monster on D.

And with his lack of shot, how do you play him and Demar at the same time? Is this a hint that Demar isn't in the longterm plans?
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

It's a draft pick. In the Summertime in Toronto we will beta the shit out of this now for the next 6 weeks. Hilarious

so my take on this guy;

Pro's

1. He is not coboclo. Period. No more gambles that take until the GM' contract is done to prove massive failures
                          2. He's 24. Thank god. the biggest, and I mean HUGEST mistake is to call that "old". You don't age in people years, your prime is measured in "pro years" Don't mistake the two for being the same.
                          3. 4 years in college. THIS might be one of the biggest things I am happy about. A guy that played for an NBA style coach in college, for 4 years, and will come into this league miles ahead of hlf the existing roster.
                          4. His brother is already in the NBA. You can't buy that experience and guidance, you just can't. It's another big deal.
                          5. Defence. He likes it. Period.

cons.

1. he can't shoot.

Unfortunately for me, this is kind of a big deal. You already see how this affect DD. If you can't draw an NBA defender out to guard you, you're basically useless. I worry about this for Wright. I would hope, and I say this every year about every player, that this kid is getting up at least 2000 shots a day, and filling the rest of his day with weights.

so basically I like the pick. I like the kid and his head. Love his age and his maturity. Love 4 years in college, and love his family ties to the NBA. If he isn't a stand out lottery win, he will at the least be a reliable role player and that ok....in the end, its the draft man..... ya never know.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                            And with his lack of shot, how do you play him and Demar at the same time? Is this a hint that Demar isn't in the longterm plans?
                            no

Comment

If he does not fix his shot, he will be defended very tightly in NBA and will not be able to stay on the court. I don't think he is a Rondo type player to get away with not having a good shot in NBA.

Comment

What tells you he isn't.

xplain.

Or is this just a guess disguised as knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X