Everything Delon Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.vantagesports.com/story/V...ttract-suitors

Delon Wright is a slightly built 6’5” point guard whose defensive metrics are mind-boggling. A senior out of the University of Utah, Blazers forward Dorrell Wright’s younger brother, is projected to be drafted in the mid- to late first round. The team that lands Wright on draft night may possibly be getting the steal of the night. Let’s take a closer look at his outstanding advanced statistics from this past season.

Wright’s Shot Defense: 20.00 Overall FG% Against; 0.45 Points Against per Shot; 46.49 Contest+ Rate; .035 Fouls per Shot defended

In two years at Utah after transferring from City College of San Francisco, Wright only fouled out once, and that was in an overtime game during his junior season. Wright’s shot defense metrics are absurdly impressive on their own, but coupled with his extremely low Fouls per Shot, it is clear that Wright could be on his way to becoming a defensive superstar in the NBA.

Wright’s Disruptiveness: .055 TO Forced per Chance; 2.58 Deflections per 100 Chances; 0.79 Passes Denied per 100 Chances

Wright has a nose for the ball and the physical tools and instincts to end up with it in his hands.

The area in which Wright must improve most is his shooting. Although the point guard shot 50.93 percent from the field this season and 35.62 from deep, this prospect lacks a consistent midrange shot and needs to develop NBA three-point range. In the portion of his season that Vantage Stats tracked, Wright struggled with hitting contested shots. Still, Wright’s Points per Shot figure ranks 3rd among point guard prospects in the draft, only surpassed by Tyus Jones and Ryan Boatright.

Wright’s Scoring: 1.45 Points per Shot; 28.46 Open+ Freq.; 27.40 Contest+ FG%

However, what adds significantly to Wright’s charm is his elite passing and how well he takes care of the ball.

Wright’s Assist+ and TO Rates: 11.51 Assist+ per 100 Chances; 2.94 TO per 100 Touches; 3.74 Assist+ to TO rate
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      They're selecting 20th. What did you really expect from this pick? There is a lot of time between now and November. This was one of many potential pieces to come.
      Not much, which is why generic comments about our D and/or team getting better immediately with this 1 player are surprising. There is a lot of time between now and the season for sure. If nothing happens between now and then, I dont think Wright makes our team better in virtually any way.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
        Dude, we have $22M in cap space now, shit will definitely change between now and November. We'll get a key FA like Harris or Millsap or Danny Green, and we'll get to add someone else as well, or possibly keep Lou, although I'd like to move on from Lou and keep the trend of only having players that can play defense.

Once we traded GV I figured Wright would be the pick. This guy is going to be a stud right from the get go, I guarantee he ends up one of the top 5 rookies this season. Also, the talk of him not being a good shooter are pretty dumb sounding to me considering he shot 35.6% from 3 on 2.1 attempts per game (Vasquez shot 38% his last year in college and was right around 30% every other year). Seems like he's just as good of a shooter as GV was, with the added bonus of being an amazing defender. I don't see how players can sag off of him if he's hitting 3's at a 35% clip, which is way better than Derozan has ever done (DD shot 16.7% from 3 in college and his best in the NBA was 30.5%).
        I was just writing a (harmless, I thought) statement because I saw many posts that seem to say that Wright will have a noticeable impact with the Raptors, almost immediately. I don't think this is the case, personally, and was just stating that. But anyways, enough of that. Lets just see how Wright does.

With respect to our cap space, how do we know that money doesn't get spent (or overspent) on second tier FAs?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Isn't the biggest part of the pitch not "We the North" but "We play in the East"? If I'm a marquis free agent who can carry a team (i.e. Gasol or LMA) and the money is the same everywhere, I'm going out East cause if I land on a decent team, I basically need to beat one other team to get to the Finals. Out West, I can win 49 games and maybe not make the playoffs.

I think it speaks to how dysfunctional the Knicks are that they have never been able to take advantage of that. Maybe the lowly Raptors can?
          Unfortunately, you're not. I would feel safe making a bet that neither of those guys are signing with the Raptors this offseason.

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
            Not much, which is why generic comments about our D and/or team getting better immediately with this 1 player are surprising. There is a lot of time between now and the season for sure. If nothing happens between now and then, I dont think Wright makes our team better in virtually any way.
            Who is saying the team or D is getting better immediately with this pick? It isn't wrong to classify this player as a positive impact for the future. People are allowed to show enthusiasm.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Casey will not play a rookie, especially one who can't create his own shot. If MU doesn't get a PG, Lou if he re-signs or even Demar will be playing PG. Not sure if Wright as a rookie is better than Julyan Stone
              I know most of your posts are just based on the premise "I hate Casey", but this whole "will not play a rookie" thing is highly overblown. The only rookies he didn't play were Bruno and Bebe, and anyone being honest with themselves knows they shouldnt have been playing anyway. Ross and JV both played every game as part of the rotation in their rookie year.

I would venture to guess quite confidently that this guy was brought in to get an honest shot at backup pg, especially with Vasquez out the door. We had way too many "small ball" 1-2-3's last year, MU knew it, and this guy won't get Vasquez like minutes, he will probably be here to strictly relieve Lowry twice a game. Not saying we won't bring in another guy for insurance, or training camp competition, but I would bet my bottom dollar Wright will get an honest shot at it
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Who is saying the team or D is getting better immediately with this pick? It isn't wrong to classify this player as a positive impact for the future. People are allowed to show enthusiasm.
                People. Agree on the future positive impact and enthusiasm.

Comment

Well, the key thing I think is not to toss him under the bus when he's suddenly not Jason Kidd once the games start counting. Say what you want now but coming in here and reading all the bitching and moaning around how a player isn't living up to some Godly expectation that no one ever promised is very tiring... Now though, now is a fun time.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    I know most of your posts are just based on the premise "I hate Casey", but this whole "will not play a rookie" thing is highly overblown. The only rookies he didn't play were Bruno and Bebe, and anyone being honest with themselves knows they shouldnt have been playing anyway. Ross and JV both played every game as part of the rotation in their rookie year.

I would venture to guess quite confidently that this guy was brought in to get an honest shot at backup pg, especially with Vasquez out the door. We had way too many "small ball" 1-2-3's last year, MU knew it, and this guy won't get Vasquez like minutes, he will probably be here to strictly relieve Lowry twice a game. Not saying we won't bring in another guy for insurance, or training camp competition, but I would bet my bottom dollar Wright will get an honest shot at it
                    Well its no secret that Casey favours veterans. Its also different when you have 2 early-mid lottery pick rookies versus a late first round rookie. I would think there is a lot more pressure to find minutes for the lottery pick rooks.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      Why wouldn't we be attractive though? We still have a 4 seed playoff team, now we just have even more money to work with and an improved backup PG situation. Blows my mind people think Knicks and Lakers is an attractive situation and we aren't, those teams are hot garbage right now, no one FA will change their fortunes, and the pressure in those cities is unreal and your supporting cast is either 50 year old Kobe or ball hog Melo. Masai made us major players by increasing our cap space to a point we can max out vets like Millsap.
                      At least we have a chance now.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Well, the key thing I think is not to toss him under the bus when he's suddenly not Jason Kidd once the games start counting. Say what you want now but coming in here and reading all the bitching and moaning around how a player isn't living up to some Godly expectation that no one ever promised is very tiring... Now though, now is a fun time.
                        Come on, not even Jalen compared him to Kidd . We drafted this guy about 12 hours ago. Some discussions about him are expected, no?

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                          Come on, not even Jalen compared him to Kidd . We drafted this guy about 12 hours ago. Some discussions about him are expected, no?

LOL you're not in Kansas no more, Sunshine.

That episode was classic by the way.

Comment

• Ujiri indicated the Raptors were going to pick the best available player at 20th regardless of need.
                            Was Delon Wright the best player available ????
                            I would of thought Portis and others would have ranked higher in terms of pure talent.

Comment

• I think his ceiling is a starting PG on a bad team or an above average backup on a contender, with lockdown defending. Not a star, but an important piece for a contender.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
                                Ujiri indicated the Raptors were going to pick the best available player at 20th regardless of need.
                                Was Delon Wright the best player available ????
                                I would of thought Portis and others would have ranked higher in terms of pure talent.
                                Not sure anyone was a clear cut BPA over Wright. Completely subjective variations of grey at that point.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X