Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c-troop wrote: View Post
    That's what I thought about T.Ross...
    Why in world would you think that about T Ross? You can tell by the way they carry themselves. Norm is always all bussiness. Ross is always lost out there.

    Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

    Comment


    • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Why in world would you think that about T Ross? You can tell by the way they carry themselves. Norm is always all bussiness. Ross is always lost out there.

      Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      Cause he dropped like 50 points on the clippers, no exaggeration. I thought he was gonna take that "next step" but he never really did.

      Comment


      • c-troop wrote: View Post
        Cause he dropped like 50 points on the clippers, no exaggeration. I thought he was gonna take that "next step" but he never really did.
        Ross always had the most talent out of the two but, Norm was just hungrier

        Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

        Comment


        • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Why in world would you think that about T Ross? You can tell by the way they carry themselves. Norm is always all bussiness. Ross is always lost out there.

          Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
          My thoughts exactly.

          Comment


          • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Ross always had the most talent out of the two but, Norm was just hungrier

            Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
            Tross had more talent than anyone on this team! Having a good brain is a natural talent too, not just physical athleticism. Put Kobe's head on Tross' and you have something special.

            I know his skills were not very well developed other than his shooting but I think he could have been more successful and well rounded as a player if he had a bit more grit and furiously. Regardless, he is still a successful athlete and is very good at what he does.

            Comment


            • c-troop wrote: View Post
              Hahaha, the photo was just for laughs.

              But these things have been known to happen.

              Hopefully having miles on the team will create some tougher competition within the organization for Powell.
              Fair enough.

              Not that I'd worry about it with Norman, certainly not more than the average player, but if there's any time he'd take his foot off the gas pedal it wouldn't be the season before he's eligible for his first big payday. I imagine "oh nice 30 mpg" is a little less de-motivating than "oh nice $30M+ guaranteed".
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

              Comment


              • Similar to my Valanciunas piece, I've summarized why Powell should definitely start and Miles should definitely come off the bench here. Again, giant piece, so can't really capture the arguments in a quote. I do outline a proposed rotation at the end, as follows, based on the conclusions from this article and from the frontcourt one:

                First Quarter:
                Starting Lineup: Lowry-DeRozan-Powell-Ibaka-Valanciunas (first ~6 minutes)
                Transition: Lowry-DeRozan-Miles-Ibaka-Poeltl (next ~3 minutes)
                DeRozan Bench: Wright-DeRozan-Miles-Siakam-Poeltl (final ~3 minutes)

                Second Quarter:
                Lowry Bench: Wright-Lowry-Miles-Siakam-Valanciunas (first ~3 minutes)
                Transition: Wright-Lowry-Powell-Ibaka-Valanciunas (next ~3 minutes)
                Starting Lineup: Lowry-DeRozan-Powell-Ibaka-Valanciunas (next ~3 minutes)
                Lowry Pre-Half Rest Lineup: Wright-DeRozan-Miles-Ibaka-Poeltl (final ~3 minutes)

                Third Quarter: repeat first quarter

                Fourth Quarter:
                Lowry Bench: Wright-Lowry-Miles-Siakam-Valanciunas (first ~3 minutes)
                Transition: Wright-Lowry-Powell-Ibaka-Poeltl (next ~3 minutes)
                Starting Lineup: Lowry-DeRozan-Powell-Ibaka-Valanciunas (final ~6 minutes)
                Closing Lineup: Lowry-DeRozan-Powell-Miles-Ibaka (alternate final ~6 minutes)
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post
                  Similar to my Valanciunas piece, I've summarized why Powell should definitely start and Miles should definitely come off the bench here. Again, giant piece, so can't really capture the arguments in a quote. I do outline a proposed rotation at the end, as follows, based on the conclusions from this article and from the frontcourt one:
                  Ibaka never plays center in that rotation. Which is where he is best at. I think we see him at C more than last year.

                  Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                  @Chr1st1anL

                  Comment


                  • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Ibaka never plays center in that rotation. Which is where he is best at. I think we see him at C more than last year.

                    Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                    Sure he does. He plays C to close the game except in cases where the other team goes really big.

                    And if you read the other article, I make a case against Ibaka actually being that good at C, except in very specific situations.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • DanH wrote: View Post
                      Sure he does. He plays C to close the game except in cases where the other team goes really big.

                      And if you read the other article, I make a case against Ibaka actually being that good at C, except in very specific situations.
                      Dan reading is overrated and based on the eye test JV sucks, so your proof is therefore invalid.

                      Comment


                      • DanH wrote: View Post
                        Similar to my Valanciunas piece, I've summarized why Powell should definitely start and Miles should definitely come off the bench here. Again, giant piece, so can't really capture the arguments in a quote. I do outline a proposed rotation at the end, as follows, based on the conclusions from this article and from the frontcourt one:
                        Nice write up DanH.

                        I question if your conclusion that the bench units struggle only based on not having a shooter with them. You've looked at the these line-up's a lot closer than myself, but at a quick glance it looked like the DeRozan with bench units that did well had DeRozan with two of Joseph, Wright, Ross or Powell. And the units which did poorly had DeRozan there with only one of those four. So a conclusion could be made while having more shooting is necessary, it's only half the equation to success and that it's important in the absence of an All Star playmaker/decision maker like Lowry, our units need a minimum of 3 lower tier ball handlers for at least the offence not to stagnate. I might be completely off on this.

                        Comment


                        • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Nice write up DanH.

                          I question if your conclusion that the bench units struggle only based on not having a shooter with them. You've looked at the these line-up's a lot closer than myself, but at a quick glance it looked like the DeRozan with bench units that did well had DeRozan with two of Joseph, Wright, Ross or Powell. And the units which did poorly had DeRozan there with only one of those four. So a conclusion could be made while having more shooting is necessary, it's only half the equation to success and that it's important in the absence of an All Star playmaker/decision maker like Lowry, our units need a minimum of 3 lower tier ball handlers for at least the offence not to stagnate. I might be completely off on this.
                          Ultimately, the Raptors do need as many ball handlers as possible to have success. In the playoffs not even both Lowry and DD is enough, which is why Powell needs to start. They can get away with it more against lesser competition where Lowry/DD have a distinct advantage against bench players. But shooting is also necessary, even for the bench units. We're looking at units with literally zero pure shooters in them if we start Miles rather than have him with the bench.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            Ultimately, the Raptors do need as many ball handlers as possible to have success. In the playoffs not even both Lowry and DD is enough, which is why Powell needs to start. They can get away with it more against lesser competition where Lowry/DD have a distinct advantage against bench players. But shooting is also necessary, even for the bench units. We're looking at units with literally zero pure shooters in them if we start Miles rather than have him with the bench.
                            Agree, we do need more ball handlers especially in the playoffs. I can see Lowry playing more off the ball with Wright as the primary handler. Or as you say they may move Powell to the starting line-up. I just have a hard time seeing them playing him as the primary SF and for the same reasons (I'm guessing) they didn't want to move 2Pat to the starting unit I have a hard time seeing them losing Powell's defence on the bench units. One way or another the bench units will likely struggle when Lowry sits, and will likely have to survive with defence. It could go from ugly to fugly if the defence also takes a step back in those units.

                            Comment


                            • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Agree, we do need more ball handlers especially in the playoffs. I can see Lowry playing more off the ball with Wright as the primary handler. Or as you say they may move Powell to the starting line-up. I just have a hard time seeing them playing him as the primary SF and for the same reasons (I'm guessing) they didn't want to move 2Pat to the starting unit I have a hard time seeing them losing Powell's defence on the bench units. One way or another the bench units will likely struggle when Lowry sits, and will likely have to survive with defence. It could go from ugly to fugly if the defence also takes a step back in those units.
                              Keep in mind, the bench's successes did not come with Powell there, but with Ross, who is a lacklustre defender at best. Defence is a lot easier against bench competition. Powell's strengths (defence, energy, tertiary attacking) would be of more value against better competition, IMO.

                              Miles replacing Ross is if anything a slight upgrade defensively. The team has to absorb Siakam playing at PF in Patterson's place, but he should be less overmatched against bench units and with another year under his belt. But he can't replicate Patterson's floor spacing, and expecting Miles to replicate the effect of Patterson and Ross is a tall task, even for an elite volume shooter like him - but expecting Powell to is entirely unreasonable.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • DanH wrote: View Post
                                Similar to my Valanciunas piece, I've summarized why Powell should definitely start and Miles should definitely come off the bench here. Again, giant piece, so can't really capture the arguments in a quote. I do outline a proposed rotation at the end, as follows, based on the conclusions from this article and from the frontcourt one:
                                Great piece over at RaptorsHQ Dan. Pretty much agree with everything you laid out. I think you made the case that they should at least start the season with that lineup and they see what happens.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X