Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • saints91 wrote: View Post
    If Siakam takes a big enough leap to start over Serg at the 4. We could roll out Fred, Delon, Norm, Miles and either Serg or Jak against smaller benches.

    He’s had one hiccup in his development and we’ve written him off completely. Slightly fickle considering we were all high on him last off-season. He’s 25 and supposedly an extremely hard worker, a lot could change. Sounds like he’s training in Vegas this summer maybe a new trainer can make the right adjustments.
    It's not so much that he's been written off because salvaging his career is in the best interests of the team. It's more an issue of being able to identify what lead to the poor performance last season. It seemed more mental than anything else.

    Comment


    • S.R. wrote: View Post
      He's going to have to play his way back into the rotation, which is going to mean outperforming some combination of Delon, FVV, OG, and CJ. That's no small tasks, those guys all performed their roles well last year.
      Or DeMar gets shipped out.

      Comment


      • Not that he'll ever get there (can't make that clear enough)...

        But Norm needs to study Donovan Mitchell's game (cue the hilarious nbadraft.net comparison, yeah I know lol) but really he's a guy with a lot of the same physical attributes (wingspan, speed, athleticism). I know Mitchell is much more skilled but again it's a model, just something to show him how he can add some variation off of his insanely predictable straight line drive.

        In the meantime, he can just try to copy what OG did last year/what he did his 1st year and that's play tough defense and get to the open spot for his shot without forcing his game. That would at least get him back in the mix and may even make him a tradeable asset.

        Comment


        • JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
          Not that he'll ever get there (can't make that clear enough)...

          But Norm needs to study Donovan Mitchell's game (cue the hilarious nbadraft.net comparison, yeah I know lol) but really he's a guy with a lot of the same physical attributes (wingspan, speed, athleticism). I know Mitchell is much more skilled but again it's a model, just something to show him how he can add some variation off of his insanely predictable straight line drive.

          In the meantime, he can just try to copy what OG did last year/what he did his 1st year and that's play tough defense and get to the open spot for his shot without forcing his game. That would at least get him back in the mix and may even make him a tradeable asset.
          Norm works too hard, cares too much, and is now being coached by a staff too invested in development and effective player management and use for this not to be a bounce back season for him. I think this season he comes back better than before. Finding a spot for him may be difficult, with everyone else's development, but defense like he can bring with a regained shot and improved use on the offensive side will always be valuable. I think this season he is worth his contract. Or even makes it look like a great deal.

          Comment


          • Puffer wrote: View Post
            Norm works too hard, cares too much, and is now being coached by a staff too invested in development and effective player management and use for this not to be a bounce back season for him. I think this season he comes back better than before. Finding a spot for him may be difficult, with everyone else's development, but defense like he can bring with a regained shot and improved use on the offensive side will always be valuable. I think this season he is worth his contract. Or even makes it look like a great deal.
            Yeah I also think this will be a bounce-back year for him, if anything because it's hard to plummet further down from last year. The thing with norm is that he's too undersized for a frontcourt player, but not a strong enough ball handler to be a consistent backcourt player either. He's in no man's land right now.

            Therefore I think his main focus should be improving his ball handling & passing/court vision, and reestablish himself as a backcourt player, which is his more natural position. I don't know where I heard this but apparently he hung out with Westbrook last year at some point. They both got a nice explosive drive to the basket that is very hard to contain, especially in transition. The difference is Westbrook is light years-ahead in terms of passing and court-vision (which is why he racks up so many assists every game).

            If Norm can develop just a fraction of that court vision, while maintaining his defensive discipline and respectable 3pt shot, boy, watch out.
            2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

            Comment


            • Comment


              • saints91 wrote: View Post
                but he has to surpass what Delon brings to the table
                That will never happen. Delon is a different tier of player and will surpass Demar within two years. Norm's best chance is at the 3, as OG will be playing more at the 4 this season.

                Comment


                • Quirk wrote: View Post
                  That will never happen. Delon is a different tier of player and will surpass Demar within two years. Norm's best chance is at the 3, as OG will be playing more at the 4 this season.
                  Where do you come up with these takes that are so divorced from reality?

                  Delon is 26, DeMar is 28 (29 in a month). If in two years you expect Delon to make a second team all NBA I don't know what to tell you. Even if you want to assume that Delon makes gigantic strides over the next two years, he's simply not going to get enough reps as a backup to develop the capacity for being a lead option, and what that entails (being the focus of the other team's game plan and best defender, double teams, pressure situations, etc).

                  I assume you are still viewing everything through the lens of WP/48. You should really look into skill curves so that you understand why you can't extrapolate advanced stats in a linear fashion, and especially not without considering context. Delon faces backups most of the time. His production won't look the same against starters.
                  It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                  Comment


                  • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    If in two years you expect Delon to make a second team all NBA I don't know what to tell you.
                    I place zero value on that.

                    Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    You should really look into skill curves so that you understand why you can't extrapolate advanced stats in a linear fashion
                    Delon's advance stats in his rookie year where better than Demar's have ever been, or will likely ever be. He is already a better player. The reason I said two years is because of Demar's role on the team, one that I've accepted, but is not really deserved.

                    In any case, the thread is about Norm, he will not surpass Delon, his best shot is at the 3, if there are no trades and OG plays more at 4.

                    Comment


                    • I say we blow the whole team up and rebuild around Delon Wright
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

                      Comment


                      • Quirk wrote: View Post
                        I place zero value on that.



                        Delon's advance stats in his rookie year where better than Demar's have ever been, or will likely ever be. He is already a better player. The reason I said two years is because of Demar's role on the team, one that I've accepted, but is not really deserved.

                        In any case, the thread is about Norm, he will not surpass Delon, his best shot is at the 3, if there are no trades and OG plays more at 4.
                        As a stats guy...

                        you have way too much trust in advanced stats. Simply put, there's no statistic currently out there for basketball that determines value is absolutely and as exactly as you say. WAR in baseball comes by far the closest but even WAR has flaws, I have no idea how you are using any basketball stat to determine exact differences between players at all.

                        Comment


                        • I'm curious to see how this summer will impact Powell's play. His problem this year was clearly psychological. Typically, a guy like that would need a change of scenery if he had any chance of a breakthrough. Well, a new head coach and a new alpha male in the locker room might just provide that change of scenery. Here's hoping that Norm can take a step forward this year (and when your starting point is garbage, a step forward really is attainable).

                          Comment


                          • Garbo wrote: View Post
                            I'm curious to see how this summer will impact Powell's play. His problem this year was clearly psychological. Typically, a guy like that would need a change of scenery if he had any chance of a breakthrough. Well, a new head coach and a new alpha male in the locker room might just provide that change of scenery. Here's hoping that Norm can take a step forward this year (and when your starting point is garbage, a step forward really is attainable).
                            We're pretty guard heavy right now, and we need a back-up C. I could see Norm being moved in a trade for that purpose. Also wouldn't surprise me if Masai is looking for another shooter.

                            Comment


                            • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              We're pretty guard heavy right now, and we need a back-up C. I could see Norm being moved in a trade for that purpose. Also wouldn't surprise me if Masai is looking for another shooter.
                              Another shooter?

                              Almost everyone in the rotation is a good shooter now. Siakam and Norm are the only exceptions.

                              Not sure that is a priority for Masai. We are really thin up front so I gotta think that a C/PF that can play big is the first priority.

                              Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                ...Not sure that is a priority for Masai. We are really thin up front so I gotta think that a C/PF that can play ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶ is the first priority...
                                Considering we are talking Masai, I expect to see a big that can hit threes, dominate on the glass, be a top three assist leader on the team, be a dominant post up player, be a pump fake master, and of course can finish at the rim.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X