Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • S.R. wrote: View Post
    Linas Kleiza, Joey Graham, Sonny Weems, Peja, Jalen "81 Points" Rose...
    .....Alan Anderson, John Salmons, Antoine Wright, Julian "JuJu" Wright.... wtf? This list is infinite.

    Comment


    • Bruno Caboclo

      Comment


      • Powell was in the 85th percentile as a pick and roll ball handler in 2016-17, and that was over a quarter of his possessions (28.4%). He scored about 0.97 PPP, which was in the same territory as DeRozan, Paul, Walker, Irving, Beal, Hayward, and Durant. All in all, he scored 179 points on 133 possessions as a ball handler in the pick and roll.

        In 2017-18, Powell regressed badly to the 22nd percentile despite that being 25.6% of his possessions, scoring a putrid 0.66 PPP. Turned the ball over more and didn't score or draw fouls anywhere near as frequently.

        the mystery deepens.

        Comment


        • DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
          Powell was in the 85th percentile as a pick and roll ball handler in 2016-17, and that was over a quarter of his possessions (28.4%). He scored about 0.97 PPP, which was in the same territory as DeRozan, Paul, Walker, Irving, Beal, Hayward, and Durant. All in all, he scored 179 points on 133 possessions as a ball handler in the pick and roll.

          In 2017-18, Powell regressed badly to the 22nd percentile despite that being 25.6% of his possessions, scoring a putrid 0.66 PPP. Turned the ball over more and didn't score or draw fouls anywhere near as frequently.

          the mystery deepens.
          In a recent interview Powell himself blamed it on nebulous stuff like.... fit, chemistry and never getting into a flow. IMO, this all points to low BBIQ and inability to make good, quick basketball decisions after the Raps opened up the offense to role players making plays last season. A high BBIQ player meshes quickly with just about anybody on the court and Powell had an entire season to get into a 'flow'. Even then, before last season, he'd already played 2 seasons with Lowry, DD & JV and about a third of a season with Serge, so the 'flow' thing sounds more like a poor excuse.

          Comment


          • golden wrote: View Post
            In a recent interview Powell himself blamed it on nebulous stuff like.... fit, chemistry and never getting into a flow. IMO, this all points to low BBIQ and inability to make good, quick basketball decisions after the Raps opened up the offense to role players making plays last season. A high BBIQ player meshes quickly with just about anybody on the court and Powell had an entire season to get into a 'flow'. Even then, before last season, he'd already played 2 seasons with Lowry, DD & JV and about a third of a season with Serge, so the 'flow' thing sounds more like a poor excuse.
            Interesting theory.... This kind of describes a "system" player.

            An example of a system player is David Clarkson coming out of Jersey where he played well and then landed in a more open situation with the Leafs. He hit the ground like a bag of wet cement.

            Norms going to be a storyline within the season for sure.

            Comment


            • DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
              Powell was in the 85th percentile as a pick and roll ball handler in 2016-17, and that was over a quarter of his possessions (28.4%). He scored about 0.97 PPP, which was in the same territory as DeRozan, Paul, Walker, Irving, Beal, Hayward, and Durant. All in all, he scored 179 points on 133 possessions as a ball handler in the pick and roll.

              In 2017-18, Powell regressed badly to the 22nd percentile despite that being 25.6% of his possessions, scoring a putrid 0.66 PPP. Turned the ball over more and didn't score or draw fouls anywhere near as frequently.

              the mystery deepens.
              I don't think there's much mystery. He had a bad year trying to adapt to a new system, could never find his rhythm, and that built up on him psychologically to the point where every play was crucial to him seeing the court more, so he basically self-destructed.

              He'll get into the rotation here and there this year, and hopefully will get enough reps to get his confidence back up, and will be comfortable enough with the system and his teammates to have a better instinct for when to pass and when to try to score.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                Interesting theory.... This kind of describes a "system" player.

                An example of a system player is David Clarkson coming out of Jersey where he played well and then landed in a more open situation with the Leafs. He hit the ground like a bag of wet cement.

                Norms going to be a storyline within the season for sure.
                It should be noted that Clarkson didn't play all that well in NJ, either, and should never have received that contract from the Leafs, but his play definitely fell off when he arrived in TO.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post
                  It should be noted that Clarkson didn't play all that well in NJ, either, and should never have received that contract from the Leafs, but his play definitely fell off when he arrived in TO.
                  He played well enough in Jersey to get a choice of which 5 year deal he was going to take.... and..... he took less money from the Leafs than was offered to him by Edmonton.

                  Same kinda thing happened with Zach Paraise when he went to Minny from Jersey.

                  I hope that Norm rediscovers the game that made the normally very astute judge of talent Ujiri and Co are to give him a solid pro deal comes back.

                  Comment


                  • DanH wrote: View Post
                    I don't think there's much mystery. He had a bad year trying to adapt to a new system, could never find his rhythm, and that built up on him psychologically to the point where every play was crucial to him seeing the court more, so he basically self-destructed.

                    He'll get into the rotation here and there this year, and hopefully will get enough reps to get his confidence back up, and will be comfortable enough with the system and his teammates to have a better instinct for when to pass and when to try to score.
                    Agree with this.

                    Powell, when playing well, has such a huge impact on the game. In previous years, he was known as the "right spot at the right time" kind of guy.

                    Hopefully we see some more minutes from him, extended and meaningful, too.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                    Comment


                    • golden wrote: View Post
                      In a recent interview Powell himself blamed it on nebulous stuff like.... fit, chemistry and never getting into a flow. IMO, this all points to low BBIQ and inability to make good, quick basketball decisions after the Raps opened up the offense to role players making plays last season. A high BBIQ player meshes quickly with just about anybody on the court and Powell had an entire season to get into a 'flow'. Even then, before last season, he'd already played 2 seasons with Lowry, DD & JV and about a third of a season with Serge, so the 'flow' thing sounds more like a poor excuse.
                      He forced a ton of offense in a failed and desperate attempt to regain minutes. (Especially jacking up threes, including shooting under 30% there despite that being half of his FGA - no matter who you are, that's going to make you utterly useless on offense.) That doesn't necessarily mean he has low basketball IQ - Powell just played really poorly, and plenty (but not all) of that is on him, especially when we know that he's capable of playing far better than that. The guy who supplanted him in the rotation (Anunoby) was tailor-made to fit next to Lowry and DeRozan (and I'll explain why).

                      The issue with Powell is that he's most effective with the ball in his hands, but then so were Lowry and DeRozan. So now you have three of those types of guards sharing the court:
                      • there's only one ball to use among three guards
                      • two of them (DeRozan/Powell) can't shoot so there goes any spacing
                      • two of them (Lowry/DeRozan) aren't amazing defenders by any measure (in fact, DeRozan is horrendous on defense and Lowry is regressing)
                      • one of them (Powell) is the second smallest guy on the court but is expected to guard the best opposing wing who is usually much bigger and stronger and can overpower Powell no matter how hard he tries to defend him

                      Lowry/DeRozan/Powell is just an atrocious lineup in general - Powell's strengths don't compliment Lowry and DeRozan at all. His biggest strength is his explosiveness - but Lowry and DeRozan didn't need a slasher, they needed a floor spacer, which Powell isn't. He doesn't have the size or strength to defend the wings that Lowry and DeRozan can't. Compound this with the weird Ibaka/Valanciunas frontcourt, which has two bigs who aren't great defensively, and you have a disastrous startling lineup.

                      This is why the Lowry/DeRozan/Anunoby lineup worked incredibly great, because unlike Powell, Anunoby provided floor spacing and he had the size and strength to match up with opposing wings and forwards. Anunoby's defensive versatility also made the weird Ibaka/Valanciunas frontcourt remotely playable.

                      So when Powell says that "fit, chemistry and never getting into a flow" got in the way, he's not wrong at all.
                      • He was an horrific fit on offense alongside Lowry and DeRozan because they don't complement each other at all.
                      • He was awful on the bench because he kept forcing up shots in desperate attempts to regain his minutes and prove his worth.
                      • He kept playing to one of his weaknesses on offense (his awful shooting - around 50% of his FGA are threes, but he shoots under 30% on threes) and that destroyed any offensive contributions he may have made.

                      However, I don't get the impression that Powell truly understands what went wrong with him. That's why that seems so "nebulous". My worry is that the longer it takes for him to pinpoint those things and therefore address them directly, the more likely it is that he flames out of the league.

                      It seems like Nurse is already addressing Powell's issues, although by getting him to play more 5 on 5 with the bench over the summer to transform him into a better team player. According to Nurse, it's working. (Crossing my fingers...)


                      One more thing. In my opinion, I think Anunoby should have started from day one, and Powell should have been playing with the bench from day one. Casey starting Powell at small forward for 12 straight games, plus the fact that it took an injury to Powell for Casey to change the starting lineup, only makes me miss him less (although I don't miss him at all anyways).

                      Comment


                      • This guy writes amazing Powell essays
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          This guy writes amazing Powell essays
                          Powellful stuff

                          Comment


                          • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                            Powellful stuff
                            Not your regular everyday norman post
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Not your regular everyday norman post
                              Totally. Much respect.

                              Hopefully Norm gets fit into the system the right way this go round.

                              Man, if he could have the impact he's had in the past, amidst this incredible squad, it'd be a boon.

                              Norm is a highly likeable guy. Hope things go well for him this year.

                              Comment


                              • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                                Totally. Much respect.

                                Hopefully Norm gets fit into the system the right way this go round.

                                Man, if he could have the impact he's had in the past, amidst this incredible squad, it'd be a boon.

                                Norm is a highly likeable guy. Hope things go well for him this year.
                                Yeah if Norm elevates his performance this year this iteration of Los Raptors will be deeper than last years team AND we added a top 5 all nba player.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X