Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Well he isn't a good playmaker or iso scorer. If he can't shoot, he doesn't really belong in a nightly rotation. 11th-12th man is his best case then.
    Norm needs to be able to hit the occasional jumper (not just threes, but also some non-paint twos - he just needs to be able to score, period) to throw off defenses and be less predictable. That's not the same as him being a 3&D player who scores primarily off of spot-up threes. His jumper should be a tool to assist him in utilizing his strengths (his driving), not a primary weapon that he lives or dies by.

11th-12th man is Norm's best case if the Raptors continue to try and make him into something that he isn't.

Comment

• DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
      Norm needs to be able to hit the occasional jumper (not just threes, but also some non-paint twos - he just needs to be able to score, period) to throw off defenses and be less predictable. That's not the same as him being a 3&D player who scores primarily off of spot-up threes. His jumper should be a tool to assist him in utilizing his strengths (his driving), not a primary weapon that he lives or dies by.

11th-12th man is Norm's best case if the Raptors continue to try and make him into something that he isn't.
      His driving isn't good enough, though. His best driving comes with the D off balance, which they won't be very often if they never have to close out on him hard on the perimeter. He can't create 1-on-1 all that well. He is a pretty mediocre p'n'r ballhandler. You don't want him consistently running the p'n'r, especially if he's sharing the floor with at least one of Lowry, FVV, Wright or Leonard. He's not a great playmaker. And frankly his finishing in traffic is suspect, so again, the D has to be pretty off balance for him to get open lanes with minimal resistance at the rim, where he can rise up with his athleticism, and not have to worry about adjusting to finish differently than simple dunks/layups.

So his jumper has to be quite good to open up other things in his game. He's just not good enough at other things to really get by without it.

Comment

....Also, the Spurs had to include someone and other options wouldn't work well for one or both teams. Mills and Gasol are not particularly attractive pieces. Green was probably the only option both teams were ok with being added to the deal.
        It seems to me that we found out after the trade that Green had been misdiagnosed. In that case, the Spurs may have traded Green because they thought his perfomance had dropped off because of age, as opposed to playing over half the season with an injury. Given the actual fact of the injury, it isn't surprising that he not perform up to his pre-december levels becasue he spend 5 months playing ball in a a way that shielded the injury. He now has to unlearn the accomodations he was making to avoid pain.

Comment

• good game norm

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
            It seems to me that we found out after the trade that Green had been misdiagnosed. In that case, the Spurs may have traded Green because they thought his perfomance had dropped off because of age, as opposed to playing over half the season with an injury. Given the actual fact of the injury, it isn't surprising that he not perform up to his pre-december levels becasue he spend 5 months playing ball in a a way that shielded the injury. He now has to unlearn the accomodations he was making to avoid pain.
            I imagine they knew he was hurt, maybe just not the extent to which he was hurt. I think you have to remember that these guys want to play, even banged up, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of guys downplay their injuries a bit or come back quicker than they should to get on the court.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              I imagine they knew he was hurt, maybe just not the extent to which he was hurt. I think you have to remember that these guys want to play, even banged up, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of guys downplay their injuries a bit or come back quicker than they should to get on the court.
              No disagreement, but I believe the Spurs misjudged the cause of his drop off last season.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                No disagreement, but I believe the Spurs misjudged the cause of his drop off last season.
                What about the previous 2 seasons?

Green's play has been in decline for three years. So while I'd like to blame the injury, it doesn't account for 3 seasons of subpar play from him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Green's play has been in decline for three years. So while I'd like to blame the injury, it doesn't account for 3 seasons of subpar play from him.

His three point shot is 36% over the last 3years, which is down from the low to mid 40s which is what he shot for the previous four years, but his rebounds, steals, assists, points and blocks are above or at his career averages and his PPG is only 1 pt blow his career average. It's not like he fell off a cliff. And there is no reason to believe a groin tear didn't affect his game.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    His three point shot is 36% over the last 3years, which is down from the low to mid 40s which is what he shot for the previous four years, but his rebounds, steals, assists, points and blocks are above or at his career averages and his PPG is only 1 pt blow his career average. It's not like he fell off a cliff. And there is no reason to believe a groin tear didn't affect his game.
                    I don't watch enough Spurs, but Green's 3P% fell off the first year they got LMA and the offence suddenly skewed towards heavy usage for Kawhi and LMA with everyone else fitting in around them. It was a big change from the previous few Duncan/Parker/Ginobli/Kawhi seasons. Did the quality of Green's shots change?
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      I don't watch enough Spurs, but Green's 3P% fell off the first year they got LMA and the offence suddenly skewed towards heavy usage for Kawhi and LMA with everyone else fitting in around them. It was a big change from the previous few Duncan/Parker/Ginobli/Kawhi seasons. Did the quality of Green's shots change?
                      I found this significant. Green's stats did crater in the playoffs last season. Here they are per 36 minutes, as per Basketball Reference

The kind of dropoff that is characteristic of an injury, not age.

Comment

• We probably need an "Everything Danny Green" thread (if we don't already). The guy is a veteran and will be a huge locker room presence (the championship pedigree alone is going to be a boost to our locker room). But me personally.. I'm not expecting much at all. I don't think we can really rely on his 3pt shooting or his defense (basically his bread and butter during the peak years of the Spurs).

I figure he'll get minutes because he's a veteran. But I don't think he'll be a positive impact guy. If he's neutral or just below average I'm okay with it. I just hope he's not going to steal minutes from more deserving players like OG or Wright (for example).

Comment

• Just the threat of having him out there is going to keep defences sticking to him and opening up lanes for Lowry and Kawhi. As long as his defence hasn't slipped he will be a valuable rotation piece.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Just the threat of having him out there is going to keep defences sticking to him and opening up lanes for Lowry and Kawhi. As long as his defence hasn't slipped he will be a valuable rotation piece.
                            That's for sure. Did you see closely Portland was stuck to Danny and C.J. all night in the first game? Pretty cool to see the spacing on the floor with that starting five.

To me, I think Norm will be a guy along with OG/Ibaka/Green that'll be rotated within the starting lineup this year. It'll be the only way he gets consistent time and not rot on the pine.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I don't expect to be preaching to the choir here but I for one can see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's going to be a process with him let's call it what it is. Game by game, the focus is improving while the rushing is disappearing. That's a positive we can all agree on even if numbers (which I'm unsure of) don't back it up. His ceiling has no doubt been reduced since the 15-16 playoffs however, we could still get a productive bench guy who's definitely shown brighter signs than CJ or Lorenzo.

Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
                                I don't expect to be preaching to the choir here but I for one can see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's going to be a process with him let's call it what it is. Game by game, the focus is improving while the rushing is disappearing. That's a positive we can all agree on even if numbers (which I'm unsure of) don't back it up. His ceiling has no doubt been reduced since the 15-16 playoffs however, we could still get a productive bench guy who's definitely shown brighter signs than CJ or Lorenzo.
                                I'll take CJ over Norm because his shooting will come around and he's a smarter player. But I do agree Norm is showing (sometimes) he can maybe be useful this year
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X