No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Powell keeps this up the rest of the year it's gonna be tough not to keep him. Look at the numbers he's putting up. He's been playing like this for over a month now. What if he's a late bloomer like Lowry? Lowry i thnk was 27-28 when he got traded to the Raptors. Powell is now 27.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      If Powell keeps this up the rest of the year it's gonna be tough not to keep him. Look at the numbers he's putting up. He's been playing like this for over a month now. What if he's a late bloomer like Lowry? Lowry i thnk was 27-28 when he got traded to the Raptors. Powell is now 27.
      Yes, I do think the same way right now. Hard to not think about including him with that VanVleet, OG, Siakam... and now Boucher? mid 90's born core.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
        If Powell keeps this up the rest of the year it's gonna be tough not to keep him. Look at the numbers he's putting up. He's been playing like this for over a month now. What if he's a late bloomer like Lowry? Lowry i thnk was 27-28 when he got traded to the Raptors. Powell is now 27.
        Powell's been scoring really effectively lately, and he has also been at or possibly even a little above league average defensively during that stretch. If this is permanent growth, and particularly if Norm's growth on defense is not a mirage, that's a very nice fit with the young core.

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

Yes, I do think the same way right now. Hard to not think about including him with that VanVleet, OG, Siakam... and now Boucher? mid 90's born core.
          We're right back to where we were in the 18 offseason, where we're a 2nd round team with a lot of quality players in their prime window, just need a Kawhi Leonard and we're a championship contender.

Dave Chapelle as Tyrone meme: "Ya'll got anymore of them kawhi leonards kickin around?"
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• So if we re-sign Powell and Lowry walks, we have a core of Pascal, OG, FVV, Boucher and Powell.
            Assuming Norm lands on 17-20M in a new contract, that puts the Raps at 90-93M for the core.

It effectively trades Kyle's 30M for a bump for Norm from 10 to 20M ....

If this roster is mid playoff team as is, it can't be argued it's better without Lowry.
            But we'd have his 20M difference freed up. What can we do with it besides run it back and be middling because even if we signed Kyle back for 20M we'd have the same team salary?

I'm ready to start Fred and Norm. Who can we add next season for the 20M?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
              So if we re-sign Powell and Lowry walks, we have a core of Pascal, OG, FVV, Boucher and Powell.
              Assuming Norm lands on 17-20M in a new contract, that puts the Raps at 90-93M for the core.

It effectively trades Kyle's 30M for a bump for Norm from 10 to 20M ....

If this roster is mid playoff team as is, it can't be argued it's better without Lowry.
              But we'd have his 20M difference freed up. What can we do with it besides run it back and be middling because even if we signed Kyle back for 20M we'd have the same team salary?

I'm ready to start Fred and Norm. Who can we add next season for the 20M?
              Norm's cap hold is about $16M and I'm sure we'd want Boucher back.. maybe Bembry. We're basically capped out and can only use the mid-level exception to get someone else. That's about $10M. It's what LAC paid for Serge and what LAL paid for Harrell.. so we can get a quality player but not an all-star back.

To go that route we'd have to do it via trade like we got Kawhi and Gasol. Which means eventually we'd have to look at moving Norm, OG, Fred or Pascal for that upgrade. As long as we keep the contracts reasonable and we continue to find gems in the draft.. we'll have the assets for that all-in move again. It just doesn't have to be right away.

We're built more like Utah/Denver/Indiana than Brooklyn/LA/LA. We are not a free agent destination. So we have to wait for the next disgruntled star and figure out a way to get them here. I think Beal is next. KAT is probably close too.

We better not fumble our mid-level money though next summer. Our front office needs to do a better job at finding/luring good free agents. And I'm not even talking stars. Too many bad signings including guys like Carrol, Baynes, McCaw, Stanley, etc.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Norm's cap hold is about $16M and I'm sure we'd want Boucher back.. maybe Bembry. We're basically capped out and can only use the mid-level exception to get someone else. That's about $10M. It's what LAC paid for Serge and what LAL paid for Harrell.. so we can get a quality player but not an all-star back.

To go that route we'd have to do it via trade like we got Kawhi and Gasol. Which means eventually we'd have to look at moving Norm, OG, Fred or Pascal for that upgrade. As long as we keep the contracts reasonable and we continue to find gems in the draft.. we'll have the assets for that all-in move again. It just doesn't have to be right away.

We're built more like Utah/Denver/Indiana than Brooklyn/LA/LA. We are not a free agent destination. So we have to wait for the next disgruntled star and figure out a way to get them here. I think Beal is next. KAT is probably close too.

We better not fumble our mid-level money though next summer. Our front office needs to do a better job at finding/luring good free agents. And I'm not even talking stars. Too many bad signings including guys like Carrol, Baynes, McCaw, Stanley, etc.
                Yeah, the one knock on Masai is his free agent signings. He's arguably the best trader, and drafter in the NBA. But he's never had a single home run signing as a GM.
                • Aron Baynes – two years, $14.3 million (2020)
                • DeMarre Carroll – four years, $60 million (2015)
                • Cory Joseph – four years, $30 million (2015)
                • Jared Sullinger – one year, $6 million (2016)
                • Tyler Hansbrough – two years, $7.5 million (2013)
                • Stanley Johnson - two years, $7.5 million (2019)

Even in Denver, he found Kenneth Faried and Evan Fournier in the mid 20s picks, but never a had a single quality singing. Interestingly, he's acquired Demarre Carroll twice.

It's actually crazy, Masai has only ever picked in the 20s (discounting the #9 pick acquired in the Bargs trade) and the amount of quality of players he's found in those spots

2011: No 22- Kenneth Faried
                2012: No 20- Evan Fournier
                2013: No pick
                2014: No 20 - Bruno (OK fine)
                2015: No 20 - Delon Wright
                2016: No 27 - Pascal Siakam
                2017: No 20 - OG Anunoby
                No picks until Malachi Flynn

I would LOVE to see what he could do with actual early picks in the draft, he's 5/6 for quality pro players selected 20 or later.

Comment

• Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    Having such a solid franchise is a catch 22. We develop lesser names into max deals.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Having such a solid franchise is a catch 22. We develop lesser names into max deals.
                      So well put...Pascal, Fred, OG..now Norm...and I'm sure someone is going to throw money at Boucher in a couple of years

Comment

• Still prefer to trade Norm tbh. Hes a great piece for literally any team so should be a huge market for him. Hes become a professional scorer who doesnt hurt you anywhere else - like a Tobias Harris or TJ Warren. Thatll get him paid for sure, just not sure I believe he’ll become the playmaker to elevate his game to the next level. Hes the classic, what are you giving me when your shots not falling guy, and to pay that guy hes gotta either be a really good scorer or your teams gotta be good enough he can have off nights - id just prefer to cash in while you can.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          I'm kinda tired of always having "one of the top FA available" to be honest and always being sold on what a win it would be just to get our own back

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I'm kinda tired of always having "one of the top FA available" to be honest and always being sold on what a win it would be just to get our own back
                            You're tired of having really good players other teams will pay a premium for to pry away from Toronto?

Think of it this way: if it were 2008, Siakam and FVV would have signed elsewhere already, OG and Powell would be signing somewhere else this offseason, Baynes would be making $18 million a year and Matt and Jack would be going on about how Malachi Flynn was the future of the Raptors....

Comment

• Other teams with year over year success go through this, too. The Spurs were a farm team for the league for 20 years. They got role players and coaches PAID. But they always had the next guy in the pipeline to keep rolling and avoid overpays. Raptors dealing with that a bit.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

You're tired of having really good players other teams will pay a premium for to pry away from Toronto?

Think of it this way: if it were 2008, Siakam and FVV would have signed elsewhere already, OG and Powell would be signing somewhere else this offseason, Baynes would be making $18 million a year and Matt and Jack would be going on about how Malachi Flynn was the future of the Raptors....
                                When have other teams had to pay a premium to pry players away from Toronto? It's more us paying the premium to keep them here .... or watching them walk.

I said what I was tired of; the high water being signing our own.
                                No need to (mis) interpret my words for me

Comment

Working...
                                X