No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to say Dion Waiters might be a body-comparison, but then I saw that his standing reach is only 8'2 - yikes, no wonder he's struggling. Powell has him by 4.5 inches!

Tyreke Evans might be one of the better comparisons I've come across, with the driving ability and jumper-issues. He's nice and long though, an inch and a half better reach above Norm.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      I think Tony Allen is the perfect comparison.
      Stature-wise, also pretty close.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        3 years = RFA.

4 years = UFA.

Only rookie scale contracts have an RFA status after 4 years. All other players (veteran non-draftees, second rounders) are RFA's for their first three years in the league.
        Ahh, well that makes zero fucking sense, but the way it is, is the way it is. Basically giving preferential treatment to 2nd round picks and undrafted free agents. 3 year deal for Powell then.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          Ahh, well that makes zero fucking sense, but the way it is, is the way it is. Basically giving preferential treatment to 2nd round picks and undrafted free agents. 3 year deal for Powell then.
          This is what happens when the union represents players who already have contracts but is negotiating things for players who don't yet. Rookie scale deals (and all the fun that comes with them) funnel amazing amounts of money into older players' contracts.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yeah I innocently thought 4 years was like no brainier. But after Dan's explanation, 3 years does make more sense long-term wise...
            The power of knowledge!!!

Comment

Well a first round pick contract is guaranteed about $4.8M at minimum if all four years are exercised as the 30th pick and upwards of $22M for #1 (again assuming all 4 years exercised).

An undrafted or 2nd round 3 year vet might have made a little over $2M.

So the preferential treatment comes at the cost of nearly $2.6M to $20M.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                Well a first round pick contract is guaranteed about $4.8M at minimum if all four years are exercised as the 30th pick and upwards of $22M for #1 (again assuming all 4 years exercised).

I just can't stress my personal opinion enough... just how important it is for raptors to get rid of Ross...

Comment

• Triplethreat89 wrote: View Post
                  I just can't stress my personal opinion enough... just how important it is for raptors to get rid of Ross...
                  If he extends on the cheap I'm all for keeping him. Experience as a swing man in Casey's systems should pay off this year.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    If he extends on the cheap I'm all for keeping him. Experience as a swing man in Casey's systems should pay off this year.
                    His experiences in wasting his opportunities or taking them for granted? no thanks... I mean I know it's easy for me or fans to judge him this way but... it's evident that the team's interest is best served with Ross out of the picture.. let Norman Powell get some shares of his minutes and show how defence is really done.... EFFORTS
                    Last edited by Triplethreat89; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

The preferential treatment part is getting to free agency a year earlier than a 1st round pick, where they can way more than make up for that $2.6M they lost out on. After 4 years a successful 2nd round pick will have likely made a ton more money than a successful late 1st round pick. Even crappy players are getting $3M per year minimum, so they'd be at $5M at worst.

No use comparing being the top overall pick to being a 2nd round pick, but any non-lotto pick will still be making under $2M per year in year 4.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Stature-wise, also pretty close.

DWade is only 6'4?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

The preferential treatment part is getting to free agency a year earlier than a 1st round pick, where they can way more than make up for that $2.6M they lost out on. After 4 years a successful 2nd round pick will have likely made a ton more money than a successful late 1st round pick. Even crappy players are getting $3M per year minimum, so they'd be at $5M at worst.

No use comparing being the top overall pick to being a 2nd round pick, but any non-lotto pick will still be making under $2M per year in year 4.
                          They might make it up but they most likely won't as most 2nd round picks become nothing in the nba.

Those who actually gain an advantage are few and far between.

Hopefully Powell becomes one of those guys though!!

Comment

• Triplethreat89 wrote: View Post
                            His experiences in wasting his opportunities or taking them for granted? no thanks... I mean I know it's easy for me or fans to judge him this way but... it's evident that the team's interest is best served with Ross out of the picture.. let Norman Powell get some shares of his minutes and show how defence is really done.... EFFORTS
                            I think we should wait and see what Powell does in pre-season and some actual NBA games before we anoint him as a replacement for Ross. He has looked good so far, but he is a rookie and expectations must be in line with that. We are not talking about a lottery talent.

I sure hope he pans out though.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

They might make it up but they most likely won't as most 2nd round picks become nothing in the nba.

Those who actually gain an advantage are few and far between.

Hopefully Powell becomes one of those guys though!!
                              I feel like most 2nd round picks who get 3 year deals do become something in the NBA though. The guys who don't typically never get an NBA contract. I just think they should change the rules to up to 4 years then RFA like 1st round picks are. Then there would truly be no advantage to being a 2nd round pick vs 1st round pick.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                                I think we should wait and see what Powell does in pre-season and some actual NBA games before we anoint him as a replacement for Ross. He has looked good so far, but he is a rookie and expectations must be in line with that. We are not talking about a lottery talent.

I sure hope he pans out though.
                                Terrence played like shit in his one summer league stint, so Powell already has a leg up on him there.

Comment

Working...
                                X