Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane
    replied
    The road to riches unfortunately goes through making up the next greatest short lived then sell out to ___ .... app .... like virtual NBA trading cards

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

A champion. I actually talked to my young boy once about "Understand The Grind" when it came up on the title run. An ancient concept but it helps resonate when it comes from a 20-something athlete.
    Work hard. Literally so many kids today don't understand that. They mock it. "yeah, pull yourself by the bootstraps, eh? The rich are all born rich. The system is keeping us down!", screams the entitled youth of today as they type it into their cell phones while lying down on a comfy couch.

Anyways, I'm getting off track

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    We could've kept Powell for 20M+ and we would be committed to FVV, Siakam, OG and Norm and very little cap room to improve the rest of the team. The trade gave us the ability to keep Gary Trent and still use the cap room Masai has worked hard to clear for this upcoming summer. I think we are all aware of those implications. I know the the market for free agents has dwindled but the are still options out there. We also would have the ability to absorb a contract from another team in a trade for an asset and possibly a pick. The flexibility was key to move this team forward.

Norm has been lights out when starting for about a year now, but he wasn't always this player, and certainly is not this player when coming off the bench. It was awesome watching him grow, but I agree with the decision.
    Who? (besides Kyle Lowry)

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    You guys should also read T Ross and Kyle talk about Toronto in the players tribune. I don't follow other teams so not sure if it's a common occurrence, but some pretty great reads there too

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Wow, I'm surprised people are so down on Trent vs Norm as straight up basketball talent. Trent is young, younger than anyone in the current core. He's made a significant step forward each of his first 3 seasons and is currently a 15 ppg, 40% 3P guy who plays defence. At 22. He's light years ahead of where Norm was at at that age.

People pushing for a younger team with a higher ceiling should love the trade, turning a 27 year old who's peaking and costs more into a 22 year old who projects to be just as good and maybe better while also creating more roster flexibility for management should be a win-win.

I think the main issue is how unfamiliar most Raptors fans were with Trent and how much people had started coming around to Norm - just this season, really. I swear this forum was still pissed off at him half the time right up until the team's COVID outbreak when Norm looked more reliable on a thin roster.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    We really traded this guy for Gary Trent Jr smh.

A champion. I actually talked to my young boy once about "Understand The Grind" when it came up on the title run. An ancient concept but it helps resonate when it comes from a 20-something athlete.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post

Incredible read. I think I’ve said it before, this Raptor team was/is special and we may not see another one like this for decades. We have been lucky to enjoy it. Even if Gary Trent becomes an all star, he won’t have the story of breaking in with Fred. Even when Beal joins us he won’t have the history with DeMar . It was an amazing organic thing that happened. Thanks again Norm.
    Trent Jr.'s story of breaking in with OG has started though

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Incredible read. I think I’ve said it before, this Raptor team was/is special and we may not see another one like this for decades. We have been lucky to enjoy it. Even if Gary Trent becomes an all star, he won’t have the story of breaking in with Fred. Even when Beal joins us he won’t have the history with DeMar . It was an amazing organic thing that happened. Thanks again Norm.
    A great read that comes straight from the heart.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Norm basically chronicled the #WeTheNorth Era. He encapsulated it beautifully, from his own personal perspective.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

I hate to agree with T Rex but it was definitely underwhelming return when we heard it was a 12, 13 team bidding war and he was the most sought after player at the deadline. I trust in Masai because his pro scouting on trades has been top notch so I'll give it an offseason and training camp before judging the trade.
    Who knows what the other teams offered, this might have been best option. A young decent player with upside who will be an RFA and we can hold on to for the foreseeable future. Blazers fans loved Trent in Portland.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    We really traded this guy for Gary Trent Jr smh.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Right. But that's not my issue. My issue is who they got in return. They should've gotten a lot more(a better prospect) for Norm. Instead all they got is Gary Trent Jr.(ugh).
    I hate to agree with T Rex but it was definitely underwhelming return when we heard it was a 12, 13 team bidding war and he was the most sought after player at the deadline. I trust in Masai because his pro scouting on trades has been top notch so I'll give it an offseason and training camp before judging the trade.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied

Right. But that's not my issue. My issue is who they got in return. They should've gotten a lot more(a better prospect) for Norm. Instead all they got is Gary Trent Jr.(ugh).
    We don't know what was on a table. So it's moot point. You not getting more for a potential rental player.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't pay Norm 20 mil a year. Already saw one guy regress like a mf. Not watching second guy do it too

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    I wouldn't pay Norm 20 mil a year. Already saw one guy regress like a mf. Not watching second guy do it too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X