Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Well, at some point you have to cut ties with a player or two in order to improve the roster. Unless you feel we've got a perfectly assembled roster already.
    No, I don't.

But where are we lacking multiple threats? Shooters off the bench? Ross is our only one.

Low post scoring threats? JV is our only one.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Well, at some point you have to cut ties with a player or two in order to improve the roster. Unless you feel we've got a perfectly assembled roster already.
      Depends on the trades. I wouldn't trade Jonas unless its for someone like Horford.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        Depends on the trades. I wouldn't trade Jonas unless its for someone like Horford.
        Good thing you aren't the GM

But on topic; as much as I like Powell, he's not yet ready for rotation minutes.. Ross being expendable because of him is a reach right now.
        Last edited by tDotted; Thu Mar 10, 2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          No, I don't.

But where are we lacking multiple threats? Shooters off the bench? Ross is our only one.

Low post scoring threats? JV is our only one.
          If Powell turns into a reliable scorer off the bench, and Ross is traded to address a different weakness on the roster, where's the harm?

And we haven't even touched on the financial benefits for this hypothetical scenario.

Comment

If Powell turns into a reliable scorer off the bench, and Ross is traded to address a different weakness on the roster, where's the harm?

And we haven't even touched on the financial benefits for this hypothetical scenario.
            Ross' contract is really, really good if he plays like he has been since December. You're thinking in current CBA terms, you have to look at his contract in terms of the expanding cap.

Powell might turn into an alright shooter, but I'm not sure he'll be as good as Ross. Keep in mind, Ross is only 2 years older than Powell.

Comment

That's a big if. Being able to sort of hit a wide open 3 off a kickout is one thing, running plays to get someone a look at a 3 is another. If Powell ever gets good enough to do the latter I'll be pleasantly surprised - I'll be even more surprised if it's before his current contract is up.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I would be happy if Powell was able to slide into James Johnson's role. That would be very useful. If he can eventually displace Ross then terrific but, as inconsistent and unreliable as Ross is, he can shoot that three and when he's on he's a good weapon for the Raps.

Comment

Ross' contract is really, really good if he plays like he has been since December. You're thinking in current CBA terms, you have to look at his contract in terms of the expanding cap.

Powell might turn into an alright shooter, but I'm not sure he'll be as good as Ross. Keep in mind, Ross is only 2 years older than Powell.
                  State of the CBA doesn't really have to do with my opinion. A rookie contract is cheaper than Ross's contract, regardless of the cap.

Mess wrote: View Post
                  That's a big if. Being able to sort of hit a wide open 3 off a kickout is one thing, running plays to get someone a look at a 3 is another. If Powell ever gets good enough to do the latter I'll be pleasantly surprised - I'll be even more surprised if it's before his current contract is up.
                  Agreed, it's a huge 'if'. But 'if' that plays out, Ross (a player with league wide value) might be better off being used help our hole at PF. Such a scenario wouldn't upset me.

Anyways, my comment giving Powell props has somehow turned into "Nilanka, why do you hate Ross and wanna eat his babies?" lol

Comment

State of the CBA doesn't really have to do with my opinion. A rookie contract is cheaper than Ross's contract, regardless of the cap.

Agreed, it's a huge 'if'. But 'if' that plays out, Ross (a player with league wide value) might be better off being used help our hole at PF. Such a scenario wouldn't upset me.

Anyways, my comment giving Powell props has somehow turned into "Nilanka, why do you hate Ross and wanna eat his babies?" lol
                    I wasn't saying you 'hate Ross', I just think it's interesting that we lament our lack of secondary scorers, but as soon as guys look like they'd be great at it we want to trade them.

Comment

• In all honesty, I'm gonna say something else: Why not let DD go? Powell takes the starter role at SG, Ross comes in off the bench still.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

I wasn't saying you 'hate Ross', I just think it's interesting that we lament our lack of secondary scorers, but as soon as guys look like they'd be great at it we want to trade them.
                        Asset management. If Powell starts showing enough promise, some overlap starts to develop between Powell and Ross's roles next year, making one potentially expendable.

Sure you could look to trade Powell instead. But I assume we'd want to keep the cheaper, younger player, and trade the player with larger value in order to maximize our return in a trade.

Comment

Asset management. If Powell starts showing enough promise, some overlap starts to develop between Powell and Ross's roles next year, making one potentially expendable.

Sure you could look to trade Powell instead. But I assume we'd want to keep the cheaper, younger player, and trade the player with larger value in order to maximize our return in a trade.
                          Ceiling though. Powell is only two years younger than Ross, and Ross was a better player at 22/23 than Powell is now. Powell is turning into a nice second round pick, a solid asset. But I'm not sure he's much more than that. I don't see starter potential there, I see a deep bench guy on a good team.

That's great, but if we lose DeMar or Lowry in free agency in one of the next two summers, or age catches up to Lowry, we're going to need to retool a younger team, and Ross/JV are the best assets we have to do that. They're the guys who keep the team moving forward past Lowry/DeMar's primes.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                            In all honesty, I'm gonna say something else: Why not let DD go? Powell takes the starter role at SG, Ross comes in off the bench still.
                            Because Powell's played 214 minutes his whole career, there'll be no way to see before this offseason whether Powell is actually good enough to crack the rotation or not.

Comment

• Id move DD instead of Ross if it were to give Powell more minutes...Powell is a slasher type player. Having two of those playing the same position while trading your best shooter doesnt sound like a good idea

Comment

You seem to be very concerned about lacking secondary scoring, but few others here seem to "lament" it, because we have much bigger needs.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X