• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    The good question to ask though moving forward:

Is Norm a more effective pair to Lowry in the backcourt than a Lowry/ FVV tandem?

Would Van Vleet be bringing consistency to the bench if he will be the 6th man?

Hard to guage this shit when this team cannot stay healthy
    Fred's defence against starting quality players and general inability to score inside (being far better as a perimeter threat) makes Norm a way better fit as the bench scorer who needs to buoy some lineups that have less of Lowry/Pascal in them.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Demar, if he played within himself and wasn't force fed 1st option usage, might be the 5th or 6th best player on this current roster.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    The good question to ask though moving forward:

Is Norm a more effective pair to Lowry in the backcourt than a Lowry/ FVV tandem?

Would Van Vleet be bringing consistency to the bench if he will be the 6th man?

Hard to guage this shit when this team cannot stay healthy

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
    Would I be crazy to say at this point Norm is a better ALL AROUND PLAYER then Demar
    Interesting that you just realized this.

In All those years, you never figured out that Derozan cannot defend even when his life depended on it. You didnt ask yourself 10 years back why would he step on the 3 point line to make a 21.9 feet two pointer lol. And why he always crumble in pressure packed playoff situations.

Powell just needed consistency in minutes, trust and confidence by his coach. He defended Middleton in that Bucks series years ago like that was his coming out party.

TD is another player that I see a young Norm Powell in him. He actually is more polish with his drives than a rookie Powell. He still have a long ways to go to be a great defender but his fundamentals are quiet evident. One aspect that I also am impress is his instinct to track loose balls. Matt Thomas is another good prospect.

It is a matter of when Nick Nurse will give them full length of leash like what he has done with Norm.

Demar is flawed.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    I actually think this is best cast scenario. Norm wont pick up his option in 2021 if he keeps this up. Then we will be able to see if we actually have a chance with Giannis or another big name with the open space and if so we can let Norm walk. If we strike out Norm will still be there for a new contract.
    Always the option of trading him in the summer if he rises his stock like crazy in the playoffs, I think Norm turning a corner is actually going to help make things easier.
    Oh, for sure, Norm playing well is great news no matter what the team's intentions are for him long term.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    I actually think this is best cast scenario. Norm wont pick up his option in 2021 if he keeps this up. Then we will be able to see if we actually have a chance with Giannis or another big name with the open space and if so we can let Norm walk. If we strike out Norm will still be there for a new contract.
    Always the option of trading him in the summer if he rises his stock like crazy in the playoffs, I think Norm turning a corner is actually going to help make things easier.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    The cap space for 2021/Giannis is disappearing man. Norm's playing himself into keeper/untouchable territory so far this year.
    Interesting to see what tactic they take, though this summer will help clarify things. If Giannis is going to hit the market, they'll need to decide between trading pieces they would definitely lose to sign him (like Norm) for value while they can, versus keeping them as a contingency plan if Giannis signs elsewhere (as do other stars). Obviously if Giannis signs his extension this summer the drop off from the best case FA plan to keeping their own guys is a good bit smaller and the choice to maintain their contingencies is easier.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    The cap space for 2021/Giannis is disappearing man. Norm's playing himself into keeper/untouchable territory so far this year.
    I would still trade every player not named Masai for Giannis

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Would I be crazy to say at this point Norm is a better ALL AROUND PLAYER then Demar
    I feel that DeMar was more consistent (predictable) offensive player while Powell is a better all around player. Consider that DeRozan was a focal point of the offense and Powell is 3rd or 4th option....or bench.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    I thought we traded this bum (+ picks) for Iggy?

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Norm is probably already more useful than DeMar, if that makes sense.

DeMar was your 1A scorer who took the focus of the defence. Norm is still playing off of Siakam and Lowry and getting a bunch of his points vs bench units. He hasn't been handed anywhere near the offensive workload DeMar carried night in and night out.

But a 2-way complimentary player who can put up points consistently, both with starters and with the bench while your starters rest? This is 100% what the doctor ordered when earlier in the season the biggest question mark was where the Raptors offence would be coming from.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    I was certainly having the same thought last night. To be able to shoot the 3 with his level of confidence, and his D has always been and will always be way better, at least to the eye test, (Dan might argue his D is not as great as many have felt it is... I'd be interested to hear his thooughts at this stage) ... Offensively, I think he'll have to continue to produce at this pace for a while to be respected as the elite scorer that Demar has been. But all around, I think he's stirring up a good argument that he's the better player. Hopefully he could prove that in the playoffs -- then we'd know for sure.

Leave a comment:

• RandomGuy
    replied
    rocwell wrote: View Post

Absolutely. Our own D-League team will pay us dividends someday.
    They sure do!!

Leave a comment:

• Tmac2darak
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X