Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ogi wrote: View Post
    I think his time in the d league has helped him play productively
    Yep I think it definitely helped ease him in. It shouldn't be dismissed as useless.

Masai's a GM with an international background. In most sports in Europe you have youth academies for younger players, he's trying to emulate that concept with the d-league. It's not a 1-to-1 comparison but it's definitely similar and makes some sense.

Comment

And I think his NBA floor time prior to this had a bigger impact because now he knows what to expect

Honestly Powell (and wright and bebe) have all looked good enough since joining the Raps to play at the NBA level...their DL experience be damned.

Bruno's situation is unique...and although he may not be ready to play at the NBA level...giving him as much NBA experience now will catapult his development for next year. More so than the DL where he plays a completely different role than what will be expected from him at the NBA level

Comment

I've been to a couple of 905 games this year. Was surprised the 1st time when Powell ran the point for long stretches. This is something he would never do in Toronto, but this is one of the things the DLeague can be utilized for. Can't but help his ball handling and decision making in actual game situations.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• He reminds me of Norm Macdonald. He does impressions of other players but it's very obvious he's still mostly Norman Powell.

Though it's mostly an excuse to post this

Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• And if we are hell bent on talking about player comparisons, Powell is Wesley Matthews without a jumpshot. An undersized 2 guard with incredible length and solid defensive ability.

All moot tho since Casey wont give him the minutes or proper direction necessary to develop into a win producing role player with his own little niche in the NBA

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              Yep I think it definitely helped ease him in. It shouldn't be dismissed as useless.

Masai's a GM with an international background. In most sports in Europe you have youth academies for younger players, he's trying to emulate that concept with the d-league. It's not a 1-to-1 comparison but it's definitely similar and makes some sense.
              Yup. Both soccer and baseball make heavy use of their "minor" leagues. Even hockey has a more developed minor league system than the NBA. Plus the d league was created to eventually function like a minor league feeder system so i suspect we'll be seeing much more use of the d league in such a way league wide

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                And if we are hell bent on talking about player comparisons, Powell is Wesley Matthews without a jumpshot. An undersized 2 guard with incredible length and solid defensive ability.

All moot tho since Casey wont give him the minutes or proper direction necessary to develop into a win producing role player with his own little niche in the NBA
                Oldskoolcool: "player comparisons are stupid I can't stand that you guys do it, just stop!"
                *nobody has made any more comparisons*
                "Well looks like you guys won't shut up about it! He's Wesley matthews!"
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

And if we are hell bent on talking about player comparisons, Powell is Wesley Matthews without a jumpshot. An undersized 2 guard with incredible length and solid defensive ability.

Damn, Wes Matthews fits Powell perfectly!
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Oldskoolcool: "player comparisons are stupid I can't stand that you guys do it, just stop!"
                    *nobody has made any more comparisons*
                    "Well looks like you guys won't shut up about it! He's Wesley matthews!"
                    Ya I lol'd about that as I posted it...was irking me that nobody else saw it.

Thing is tho, once you look past the initial wholistic view of it there are so many little differences that we go back to "he will be his own player"

That is as long as we teach him how to carve out his own corner of the NBA...

Comment

lol at your Casey hate and assumption that he has stunted Norm's potential forever based on less than a single complete season - the latter a trend that continues with your Jabari dismissal in another thread.

We get it, you don't think DD is that good and doesn't deserve max pay, being an all star or all the minutes/touches he gets. But blaming any coach for not benching him to develop a rookie is funny stuff.

I could argue that Jerry Sloan stunted Kyle Korver's development by starting Wesley Matthews over him in 2010. He was an all star in Atlanta after all. (it would be a bad argument but still)
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                        Not at all fair to DeMar. Powell's defense is better, but DeMar is leagues ahead of him offensively as a shot creator and ball handler.
                        no way man, Powell is already better than Demar at everything.

Geez guys, were not talking clones here. This is a player comparison. Powell has good size for his position, doesn't have much of a shot, is a good slasher and driver, plays strong D. Sounds alot like a defensive Demar, as Demar was some years back.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                          lol at your Casey hate and assumption that he has stunted Norm's potential forever based on less than a single complete season - the latter a trend that continues with your Jabari dismissal in another thread.

We get it, you don't think DD is that good and doesn't deserve max pay, being an all star or all the minutes/touches he gets. But blaming any coach for not benching him to develop a rookie is funny stuff.

I could argue that Jerry Sloan stunted Kyle Korver's development by starting Wesley Matthews over him in 2010. He was an all star in Atlanta after all. (it would be a bad argument but still)
                          Your first paragraph is not representative of my opinion, based on two unrelated posts. Norman Powell needs playing time...Casey has repeatedly, in his entire coaching history, fovorably played vets and put square pegs into round holes.

Your second paragraph has taken several of my ideas and formed a speculation that I want to bench DD for Powell...an opinion which has never been held or stated by me.

Your third paragraph is even dumber because Wesley Matthews is the better player than Korver, and was worth developing over Korver.

Man this site love to put words in peoples mouths....

Comment

Your first paragraph is not representative of my opinion, based on two unrelated posts. Norman Powell needs playing time...Casey has repeatedly, in his entire coaching history, fovorably played vets and put square pegs into round holes.

Your second paragraph has taken several of my ideas and formed a speculation that I want to bench DD for Powell...an opinion which has never been held or stated by me.

Your third paragraph is even dumber because Wesley Matthews is the better player than Korver, and was worth developing over Korver.

Man this site love to put words in peoples mouths....
                            Second paragraph. My opinion has been to bench JJ for Powell

Stated multiple times in multiple game thread

Get your shit straight if youre gonna try and downput a poster.

Comment

• He actually does remind me of rookie DeRozan a little bit.

Comment

What does that even mean? "Matthews without a jumpshot"... then that's not Matthews. LeBron without the driving ability is not freaking LeBron.

You were right before, Powell is a pretty unique player.. especially when you factor in all of his abilities and weaknesses.

Comment

Working...
                                X