Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post

would he of been a lottery pick if he stayed, holy fuck he looks like he was dominating last year.

Comment

• Day One wrote: View Post
      would he of been a lottery pick if he stayed, holy fuck he looks like he was dominating last year.
      If he stayed?

You know you can only play four years of college ball, right?
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        And if we are hell bent on talking about player comparisons, Powell is Wesley Matthews without a jumpshot. An undersized 2 guard with incredible length and solid defensive ability.

All moot tho since Casey wont give him the minutes or proper direction necessary to develop into a win producing role player with his own little niche in the NBA
        Dude, we are like 2nd in the east, not the Lakers or Sixers. this isn't a franchise that is in the developing players mode. It is in compete for an ECF title mode. And just because we are in 2nd, doesn't mean we should be able to force feed all these youngsters minutes due to some cushion in the standings. We are there cause our top players play alot of minutes, and they absolutely have to if they are to challenge the top teams in the league.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
          I can see Powell turning into an Iguodala-type player in his prime. That's still great for a 2nd round pick.
          that would be great for a top 3 pick to lol

Comment

• Meh... Might as well throw in my comparison. Young Dwayne Wade. Cuz the old one is not better than Norm. 🏃🏽

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
              What does that even mean? "Matthews without a jumpshot"... then that's not Matthews. LeBron without the driving ability is not freaking LeBron.

You were right before, Powell is a pretty unique player.. especially when you factor in all of his abilities and weaknesses.
              Which is why I hate player comparisons because every one you make looks like that....

Just like how Norman Powell runs bow-legged like Ben Gordon, has the flat facial expression of a Leonard, the weird set jumpshot that has similar mechanics of Eric Gordon, the size issues (yet length) and defenice ability of Matthews, and the weird list goes on...

Powell is Powell. And I have little faith in our head coach to put Powell in the position to carve out a defined role (and that is how you become a vet). Or any of our other young guys for that fact

Go back through Raptor nation history and we see:

Ed Davis is the next role playing Ed Davis...and not some all-star left handed PF

Bruno is not a giannis-Durant hybrid clone freak

Joey Graham is a bust...not Ron Artest

DD is not the next Kobe-lite

Rose is not JR smith or DD dribble driver (thanks Casey for that one)

Biz is not ben wallace

Valanciunas is not a stiff/european softy/Marc Gasol thingy

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                That's rich. I don't have a horse in this Amber Rose/Ross race, but you really should take a look at yourself in the mirror and see the same issue with the way you employ stats to support your own personal biases... It's human nature, so it's not even really a criticism, but let's try to be realistic here. Most people using stats on this forum to support an argument are not seeing the full picture and seem to have a pretty high degree of self-confidence about their "expertise" with analytics. Confirmation bias and overconfidence = rampant, and don't exactly contribute to rational discussion.

I mean, I actually believe that there are at least a few people posting here regularly who really, truly believe they could coach and/or GM this team better than Casey and Ujiri, starting tomorrow, with no background or experience, based on some combination of watching basketball on TV and/or playing amateur basketball at some minor level. And that's just delusional. You've got to have some sense of knowing what you don't know, and that seems to be lacking with a lot of folks...
                very well written, I think you convey here what a select few have been trying to explain for quite some time now to what sadly seems like a lot miss understanding in an actual statistical sense, ill say one thing for sure if you passed a first year stats class at any university then one would understand they can find a statistic to support any argument. what I find really odd is the almost narcissist attitude towards so many statements that the writers act as if they have put 10 000 hours of personal thought into and they know that without a dought they are right and will simply ignore any valid information by finding a incredible skewed or small sample size and then go to in another argument ridicule the skewed or sample size of anther argument. scattered thoughts of an untrained mind. argue for the sake of argument.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  If he stayed?

You know you can only play four years of college ball, right?
                  is this you attempting to inform me he was a senior lol .... okay thanks and that makes alot of sense to me as to why he looked years ahead of his peers ....because he was hmmmmmm now im wondering if he played like that as a freshman would he of been a lottery pick.

Comment

• I think we've done fine with Powell. With our injuries at the wing this year, he's gotten about as many minutes as one could hope for, especially since in his first big run when JJ and Carroll were out, he clearly wasn't ready offensively yet at all (been a lot better more recently). He's been the 5th wing, and been treated pretty much exactly like that regardless of age/experience.

I myself was someone calling for them to give Wright a shot when Powell was struggling in his first starts. After the 2nd start I thought it was pretty clear Powell was just not ready yet, and I just wanted Wright to get a similar chance while there was an opportunity with JJ and Carroll out. He's clearly only going to get minutes when Lowry or Cojo sit though.

Casey and the staff have at least recognized the need to rest guys, but maybe they could find a way to add a couple more rest games for guys like DD and Lowry, and give our youngsters a chance every 2-3 months to play. I mean, Wright didn't get any decent run in a game until February 28th. Don't think giving a night off to Cojo and/or Lowry at some point before this would've killed the team or anything, especially if Wright isn't going to get any shot at wing minutes when there are injuries there.

That would still be very few meaningful games a year without injuries, but at least it even helps the kids know exactly what they need to be better at so they can work on it harder.

Comment

• Day One wrote: View Post
                      is this you attempting to inform me he was a senior lol .... okay thanks and that makes alot of sense to me as to why he looked years ahead of his peers ....because he was hmmmmmm now im wondering if he played like that as a freshman would he of been a lottery pick.
                      The answer is yes if he played like that at 18 or 19 he'd be a lottery pick
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                        He reminds me of Norm Macdonald. He does impressions of other players but it's very obvious he's still mostly Norman Powell.

Though it's mostly an excuse to post this

After reading through the last 5 pages of this thread (and lots of kind of douchey posts), this is the only post that matters. Well done sir.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• His ceiling is hybrid of Lowry and Derozan.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Lookin' goooood. Huge that he can hit it from the corners.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              His ceiling is hybrid of Lowry and Derozan.
                              ... like a Liger ... I like it.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                His ceiling is hybrid of Lowry and Derozan.
                                I see more like Jordan, with Magic's vision and Hakeem's post game. Or maybe he's just a second round pick who'll hopefully be a productive role player.
                                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Working...
                                X