Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Primer wrote: View Post
    Trading =/ Throwing away (this should be obvious)

    While the same age, Wright is signed for $6M per year less and an extra year, all of that matters.

    Wright has shown he is good enough to be the backup PG, so he's made CoJo expendable. This doesn't mean CoJo isn't good, or even better than Wright, just that we're in an excellent position to trade CoJo for something we need more.

    CoJo would be a key piece to bring something we need more back. CoJo + Ross is enough salary to get pretty much any player we want ($17.4M combined * 125% = $21.75M).

    Wright and Powell should be able to fill the roles CoJo and Ross filled, so we don't lose anything on the bench squad, but we now have $21.75M to bring back a starting PF in trade.
    Valid points, except Wright has not proven anything yet. Joseph has played a defined role all season.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

    Comment


    • WJF wrote: View Post
      Valid points, except Wright has not proven anything yet. Joseph has played a defined role all season.
      This.
      I hope that Wright joins the Drew league or something this summer to work more on his handles, shooting and attacking the basket.

      Comment


      • Hotshot wrote: View Post
        This.
        I hope that Wright joins the Drew league or something this summer to work more on his handles, shooting and attacking the basket.
        I think you vastly overrate the value of the Drew league. Also skills are generally improved on mostly outside of game settings.

        Comment


        • interesting there are many great point guards in the league yet the big man camps seem to get more publicity

          Comment


          • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            I think you vastly overrate the value of the Drew league. Also skills are generally improved on mostly outside of game settings.
            I value the Drew league for the best competition an NBA player could get in the off season. What Wright needs is more competition in between the end of this season and the start of summer league which I hope he will attend.

            Comment


            • WJF wrote: View Post
              Valid points, except Wright has not proven anything yet. Joseph has played a defined role all season.
              Wright hasn't had the chance to prove anything. He's proven he's too good for the D-League, and so now you have to find out if he's good enough for the NBA. Maybe you can live with having him be a 3rd stringer another season, but I don't think it's a huge risk to trade Cojo and see if Wright can step up.

              That said, we have a number of good trade pieces on our team. Cojo and maybe Ross are just the obvious ones since they play backup roles and the rookies we have at the same spots have shown about as much as you can hope for given their draft position and opportunity. It's not like Powell and Wright were expected to be stars...at their spots you're lucky to get anybody, nevermind guys who look well on their way to being rotation capable going into their first offseason.

              Comment


              • yeah IF you draft Murray, you use Ross, Wright, and Corey Jo, towards trading for a stud 4

                Let Murray grow into the starting role over the next 4 years as Lowry fades
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

                Comment


                • Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  I value the Drew league for the best competition an NBA player could get in the off season. What Wright needs is more competition in between the end of this season and the start of summer league which I hope he will attend.
                  Meh. Summer competition is terrible. Think that the Drew league is basically just guys goofing off. It's lower than Summer league, and both these guys are probably too good for Summer league. They both killed in the D-League, which is better than either of those offseason leagues. I'd rather they not waste time playing against inferior competition, because that isn't helpful in any way. If the option is Wright putting up 20-6-6 in crappy summer leagues, or getting up the extra 2000 shots a day that will help cement him as a good shooter, I'd much rather he do the latter. His skill set is already pretty refined (his shot was considered the weakest part of his game in terms of skills, with the rest all being considered very well developed as he doesn't rely on freakish athleticism or speed).

                  *These guys are basketball players and they'll find places to get their runs in. That's basically all the Drew league is, somewhere for them to play some organized games. I'm not going to go crying about it if Wright/Powell participate, but I don't expect it to contribute anything to the improvement of their games.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Primer wrote: View Post
                    Trading =/ Throwing away (this should be obvious)

                    While the same age, Wright is signed for $6M per year less and an extra year, all of that matters.

                    Wright has shown he is good enough to be the backup PG, so he's made CoJo expendable. This doesn't mean CoJo isn't good, or even better than Wright, just that we're in an excellent position to trade CoJo for something we need more.

                    CoJo would be a key piece to bring something we need more back. CoJo + Ross is enough salary to get pretty much any player we want ($17.4M combined * 125% = $21.75M).

                    Wright and Powell should be able to fill the roles CoJo and Ross filled, so we don't lose anything on the bench squad, but we now have $21.75M to bring back a starting PF in trade.
                    I'm a huge Wright fan but he's played 145 minutes this year, with a large number of those coming in blowouts/garbage time. You may be getting slightly ahead of yourself.

                    Comment


                    • Primer wrote: View Post
                      I see you talk a lot about not bringing DD back, but you clearly don't understand how much cap space it actually would give us. Rescinding the cap hold on DD only gives us $15M in cap space, nowhere close to making a max offer for Horford, in fact, still over $10M short.
                      I didn't know this..... I wasn't sure how much it would be exactly.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

                      Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

                      Comment


                      • Fully wrote: View Post
                        I'm a huge Wright fan but he's played 145 minutes this year, with a large number of those coming in blowouts/garbage time. You may be getting slightly ahead of yourself.
                        Slightly ahead of myself for calling him a capable backup PG? I don't think so. He's dominated the D-League, nothing left to prove there. The four games he's gotten more than 10 minutes on the main squad, including yesterday against the Spurs who weren't resting anyone, he's looked great.

                        His season per36 numbers:
                        14.4 pts, 6.5 reb, 4.2 ast, 1.7 stl, .500 3P%

                        DLeague numbers:
                        17.7 pts, 5 reb, 6.5 ast, 1.6 stl, .360 3P%, 3.3 3PA

                        I feel confident in saying Wright is at least a capable backup PG.

                        Comment






                        • Delon already played in Drew League it's nothing new to him.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                          Comment


                          • WJF wrote: View Post
                            Joseph has playoff experience, has played a significant role all season and is still the same age as Wright....ya let's throw that guy away.
                            From what I can tell, Cojo's role has lessened as the season has gone one. Early on, it was him that basically carried the team with Lowry and Derozan. Once Patterson and Ross came around, his importance has lessened. He's still a key piece, don't get me wrong. We need him for sure...this year...next year not so much IMO.

                            And the fact that he is the same age as Wright, well, that's a plus for Wright as far as I'm concerned. Probably more room to Wright to grow with increasing NBA minutes.

                            And the only reason I am even suggesting any of this is because I believe that we are going to have a very expensive starting unit next season and beyond, which is necessary, and that we will need cheap, capable backups like Wright and Powell to fill important bench roles. This is just the reality of the situation. And I feel that Patterson is more valuable than Cory or Ross. Nothing against Cory, although I think he is very overrated on these forums.

                            But certainly not suggesting we throw him away lol.

                            Comment


                            • Katherynne73 wrote: View Post
                              Joseph is a guy you keep for his knowledge and experience, easily.


                              Norman's looked good, but it's still early in his career. I will say it has made not signing DD an option depending on who else Masai is targeting in FA. For example, say we decided to throw a max at Horford and not sign DD.

                              Lowry
                              Powell
                              Carroll
                              Horford
                              JV

                              CoJo
                              Ross
                              Bruno
                              Patt
                              Bebe or BB

                              Wright
                              Rookie
                              Rookie

                              That's not awful, and who knows who else we could sign?
                              Really? Lol, norman has made DD expendable but Wright doesn't make Cojo expendable, because of knowledge and experience? Really?

                              Comment


                              • Powell, Wright and Nogueira are all, in my opinion, well-positioned to play backup roles next season but a lot of that will depend on the playoffs and, subsequently, the offseason. The good news is that all 3 guys look like they can play, which give MU more options. At a bare minimum, I expect to see Powell taking on JJ's role as the 10th man. Everything else (or more) is up in the air....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X