Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Height is overrated. You not contesting shots with you forehead. PJ is like an inch taller than Powell. Wingspan is way more important.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Height is not overrated. Yes Powell is long for his height, but he still doesn't have the size of an actual 3. His build is similar to John Wall and Dwyane Wade. Would you want them guarding Giannis or KD?

Comment

Norman Powell is the swing piece/x-factor. He's the player than can take this team to the next level. For a couple years the franchise was hoping that would be JV but, I think that ship has sailed. Can't wait to see this guys shut down Gordon Hayward in the second round. BIG YEAR!
      Norm's already been our playoff x-factor twice (vs. Bucks & Pacers). He gives us that 3rd guy who can drive, finish or spot-up when teams aggressively trap Lowry & DD - not to mention a badly needed wing defender. Would be a great scenario if Kyle and DeMar lowered their usage to give Norm more 1st option scoring reps in the starting lineup to save themselves wear & tear for the playoffs. It should be a no-brainer that he's starting over Miles.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        Height is not overrated. Yes Powell is long for his height, but he still doesn't have the size of an actual 3. His build is similar to John Wall and Dwyane Wade. Would you want them guarding Giannis or KD?
        Would you want Tony Allen guarding those guys? I would and he is built a lot like Powell but, Powell is longer.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          Norm's already been our playoff x-factor twice (vs. Bucks & Pacers). He gives us that 3rd guy who can drive, finish or spot-up when teams aggressively trap Lowry & DD - not to mention a badly needed wing defender. Would be a great scenario if Kyle and DeMar lowered their usage to give Norm more 1st option scoring reps in the starting lineup to save themselves wear & tear for the playoffs. It should be a no-brainer that he's starting over Miles.
          You forgot that Powell actually makes open shots like NBA players are suppose to.

Nothing is just given with Casey, you have to earn it. It's his position to lose. If he comes into camp ready he will get it. If he comes in like 2pat and get outplayed by a 30 year old than he wont get it. Knowing Powell with his all business demeanor, he will be the starter.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Would you want Tony Allen guarding those guys? I would and he is built a lot like Powell but, Powell is longer.
            Tony Allen has played 83% of his career minutes at shooting guard. His shutdown defense is more useful on guys like Chris Paul, Westbrook, Harden, etc. GUARDS not 6'8-7'0 forwards.

Comment

Tony Allen has played 83% of his career minutes at shooting guard. His shutdown defense is more useful on guys like Chris Paul, Westbrook, Harden, etc. GUARDS not 6'8-7'0 forwards.
              I've seen him guard KD multiple times. Thing is nobody can stop KD. Your making way too big of a deal out of 2.5 inches. Especially in a league that is going small. The guys you mention don't even really have a post up game. Which is where superior hieght comes in handy.

If Powell can bother PG. I'm not worried about him being matched up against other SF in the West.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Sep 6, 2017, 08:27 AM.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I've seen him guard KD multiple times. Thing is nobody can stop KD. Your making way too big of a deal out of 2.5 inches. Especially in a league that is going small. The guys you mention don't even really have a post up game. Which is where superior hieght comes in handy.

If Powell can bother PG. I'm not worried about him being matched up against other SF in the West.

Paul George destroyed us in that series. 27-8-4 on 63 TS%. He had an 8% jump in efficiency against us. This was while having to guard DeRozan and also rendering him useless (17ppg on 40.3 TS%, abysmal play, -21 netRTG in the series according to basketball reference).

Comment

Paul George destroyed us in that series. 27-8-4 on 63 TS%. He had an 8% jump in efficiency against us. This was while having to guard DeRozan and also rendering him useless (17ppg on 40.3 TS%, abysmal play, -21 netRTG in the series according to basketball reference).
                  How did he do when Powell was guarding him? He did the best job out of anyone on the team as per the eye test. Also I didn't say he stopped him and said he bothered him. Forced him into turnover and tough shots.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

How did he do when Powell was guarding him? He did the best job out of anyone on the team as per the eye test. Also I didn't say he stopped him and said he bothered him. Forced him into turnover and tough shots.
                    George destroyed Powell pretty good too. Powell's impact was more as a high energy alternative, he got a couple key steals and ball denials that took the Pacers out of their game in key situations, but George still mostly had his way with him.

That said, George was a monster that series. I wouldn't have bet on even a guy like Tucker really affecting him much the way he was playing.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Powell should start at the 3 given what we have, but he is massively undersized there and his defensive value is much better when matched up against 1s or 2s where he has a length and strength advantage in many cases.

If people want to pretend it's a non-issue that's fine, continue to do that. This roster has no answer defensively for big 3s or skilled small-ball 4s. We talk about how Boston is flawed, but we're incapable of guarding the position that arguably has the most dangerous players in the league (besides PG, which we also can't guard because Lowry is average on defense and not quick enough, and we can't use Powell on them because he's too busy guarding 3s that overmatch him, Wright should be ok).

Comment

Powell should start at the 3 given what we have, but he is massively undersized there and his defensive value is much better when matched up against 1s or 2s where he has a length and strength advantage in many cases.

If people want to pretend it's a non-issue that's fine, continue to do that. This roster has no answer defensively for big 3s or skilled small-ball 4s. We talk about how Boston is flawed, but we're incapable of guarding the position that arguably has the most dangerous players in the league (besides PG, which we also can't guard because Lowry is average on defense and not quick enough, and we can't use Powell on them because he's too busy guarding 3s that overmatch him, Wright should be ok).
                        We've got Miles and Powell and OG when he's healthy. It's not like we have no options. None of them are true stoppers, but none of the players you worry about would be stopped by the guys who are, anyway.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Powell should start at the 3 given what we have, but he is massively undersized there and his defensive value is much better when matched up against 1s or 2s where he has a length and strength advantage in many cases.

DanH wrote: View Post
                          We've got Miles and Powell and OG when he's healthy. It's not like we have no options. None of them are true stoppers, but none of the players you worry about would be stopped by the guys who are, anyway.
                          Siakam, as well. Who Stackhouse called the best defender on the team. Also when KJ makes the team that's another body. We got Delon to put on PGs as well.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            So you're fine with a rookie, coming off a major injury OG's defense against some of the best players in the league at that combo forward spot, but Poeltl at center won't be able to cut it. Gotcha.

And Miles is a below average defender at the 3. Average at the absolute best.

Comment

So you're fine with a rookie, coming off a major injury OG's defense against some of the best players in the league at that combo forward spot, but Poeltl at center won't be able to cut it. Gotcha.

And Miles is a below average defender at the 3. Average at the absolute best.
                              Well Boston is fine with a second year player(Brown) and a rookie being thier stoppers at that position. You don't seem to worried about that. With no rim protection I might add.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Well Boston is fine with a second year player(Brown) and a rookie being thier stoppers at that position. You don't seem to worried about that. With no rim protection I might add.

Brad Stevens.

Comment

Working...
                                X