Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Brad Stevens.
    Same Brad that had no answer for Rajan Rondo? Lol same guy who coach a middle of the pack D/below average D with players like Bradley/Crowder. Now he's going to better with younger player. You guys love for Stevens is hilarious.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Well Boston is fine with a second year player(Brown) and a rookie being thier stoppers at that position. You don't seem to worried about that. With no rim protection I might add.

Boston is going to have problems defensively on the wings too now with Crowder and Bradley gone. Smart is the only surefire guy but he's a 1/2 defender (like Powell should be), although I think Brown has serious upside on that end (higher than Powell) and he's actually got the size to guard 2, 3, 4.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        So you're fine with a rookie, coming off a major injury OG's defense against some of the best players in the league at that combo forward spot, but Poeltl at center won't be able to cut it. Gotcha.

And Miles is a below average defender at the 3. Average at the absolute best.
        Are you seeing me ask for OG to start? I absolutely want Poeltl to get his chances to play. Same for OG. I'd definitely not want either of them taking full time starting minutes or playing against that level of competition when there are better options in front of them. In any case, you drawing a parallel between my suggestion of OG being our third option to defend big SF's and your suggestion that we start Poeltl... is a little bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Miles is a perfectly acceptable defender - not a stopper, but not a hole like DeMar. And Powell can defend above his size in spurts, we've seen him do it. And frankly, most teams are running their big SF's out at PF more and more, in which case it becomes Ibaka and Siakam's issue, and both have done alright there - it certainly plays more to Siakam's strengths than when he tries to defend big PF's.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Boston is going to have problems defensively on the wings too now with Crowder and Bradley gone. Smart is the only surefire guy but he's a 1/2 defender (like Powell should be), although I think Brown has serious upside on that end (higher than Powell) and he's actually got the size to guard 2, 3, 4.
          Are you sure just onthe wing. What answers do they have in the paint?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Ok we have no problems defensively, carry on. 6'4, 6'10 wingspan Norm should be fine at the 3.

Comment

Ok we have no problems defensively, carry on. 6'4, 6'10 wingspan Norm should be fine at the 3.
              Always has been before, so I see no reason to panic now.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                A year ago that would have been a great package.

Now Norm only has a year left before free agency. JV's value is rock bottom (was offered to 7 teams). And we gave our pick to Brooklyn in the Carroll trade.

I don't think we can get a Marc Gasol anymore because a team that's throwing in the towel is going to want a pick back. Our only real hope is that a potential trade party was high on Poeltl or OG and treats either of them as a lotto-quality acquisition. Or that any of our young chips plays their way into improved trade value--most likely with Norm, but again his contract status will limit his attractiveness.
                I don't know how well a big C like M. Gasol or Cousins would work on this team. They want to play more fast paced, spread the ball and take more perimeter shots. I was never a fan of his, but I think Kevin Love would fit perfectly at PF along side Ibaka at C. Not sure Cav's are ready to throw in the towel and make that trade, but considering what players like Butler and George went for there is a bit of hope. Lowry, DeRozan, Miles, Love, Ibaka would be pretty damn interesting I think and a huge threat to any team in the East.
                Last edited by LJ2; Wed Sep 6, 2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• I'd say there are about 3 wing players in the league that Powell absolutely cannot guard

LeBron
                  Giannis
                  Carmelo

All 3 of those guys play a bully ball style that Powell cannot deal with at his height. Other than these guys, Norm can give any other wing player a challenge trying to score at the very least.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    I'd say there are about 3 wing players in the league that Powell absolutely cannot guard

LeBron
                    Giannis
                    Carmelo

All 3 of those guys play a bully ball style that Powell cannot deal with at his height. Other than these guys, Norm can give any other wing player a challenge trying to score at the very least.
                    KD
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      KD
                      KD isn't a bully ball player. He can and has been locked down by smaller players like Chris Paul and Tony Allen.

There's no way in hell you can switch Chris Paul on any of those other guys I listed and expect them NOT to score every single time.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Same Brad that had no answer for Rajan Rondo? Lol same guy who coach a middle of the pack D/below average D with players like Bradley/Crowder. Now he's going to better with younger player. You guys love for Stevens is hilarious.

Well, that's the point. Celtics look like they could have actually taken a step backwards this off-season, or best case sideways. People really don't appreciated how great a season IT had last year, how good a defender Bradley is and Jae Crowder's fit a perfect role player. They also lost 2 very underrated guys in Amir and Olynyk.

But, that's how it's been for Brad Stevens... Danny Ainge just keeps giving him flawed and mis-matched pieces and he keeps on maximizing whoever he's been given to work with. Unlike Casey, you never hear Stevens complain about what he doesn't have or blame his players for lacking this or that. Casey complains publicly and then Masai goes out and gets him what he asks for (defenders, shooters, rim protectors, etc...).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          But, that's how it's been for Brad Stevens... Danny Ainge just keeps giving him flawed and mis-matched pieces and he keeps on maximizing whoever he's been given to work with. Unlike Casey, you never hear Stevens complain about what he doesn't have or blame his players for lacking this or that. Casey complains publicly and then Masai goes out and gets him what he asks for (defenders, shooters, rim protectors, etc...).
                          Agreed.

I don't believe that the outgoing Celtics players that exited in the summer will do better then they did in another team's uniform.

Stevens is a pretty good coach and as a result the team was well ahead of its initial goals.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            We've got Miles and Powell and OG when he's healthy. It's not like we have no options. None of them are true stoppers, but none of the players you worry about would be stopped by the guys who are, anyway.
                            OG is a true stopper. I can't wait for him to be healthy and have a few weeks under his belt for people to see that.

I don't think people realize what a steal we got. The kid is the age of most freshman and the only reason he fell like he did is the injury and IND never played him big minutes. I remember he got off to a little bit of slow start in some limited minutes but as they were increasing his minutes he was REALLY starting to come on! I just remember thinking fml because I wanted him to declare last year so we could have a "chance" last year and when he started really improving his scoring output I thought damn he's playing himself into the top 8 of this draft, no chance we get him now...but here we are.

The kid is a physical specimen. Very quick feet for a player of that size and strength and yet he hasn't even "filled out" into whatever monsterous size he will be by the time he's 25+ years old and he is also actually an explosive leaper. He has VERY good defensive instincts. People fell in love with Norm, it's gonna be hilarious reading this board saying stuff like "they didn't realize he was this good"....one of the most underrecruited and scouted players, I'm not saying he's going to the next elite SF but he's going to be damn good, remember I told u lol

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                              OG is a true stopper. I can't wait for him to be healthy and have a few weeks under his belt for people to see that.

I don't think people realize what a steal we got. The kid is the age of most freshman and the only reason he fell like he did is the injury and IND never played him big minutes. I remember he got off to a little bit of slow start in some limited minutes but as they were increasing his minutes he was REALLY starting to come on! I just remember thinking fml because I wanted him to declare last year so we could have a "chance" last year and when he started really improving his scoring output I thought damn he's playing himself into the top 8 of this draft, no chance we get him now...but here we are.

The kid is a physical specimen. Very quick feet for a player of that size and strength and yet he hasn't even "filled out" into whatever monsterous size he will be by the time he's 25+ years old and he is also actually an explosive leaper. He has VERY good defensive instincts. People fell in love with Norm, it's gonna be hilarious reading this board saying stuff like "they didn't realize he was this good"....one of the most underrecruited and scouted players, I'm not saying he's going to the next elite SF but he's going to be damn good, remember I told u lol
                              I'm really excited about him too but I just can't get myself to expect much from a rookie. I know when he's 25 plus he should be a beast defensively but I think it's a bit crazy to expect much in his first year. ESPECIALLY with him coming off injury and most likely not having a training camp or preseason.
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post

I'm excited about OG--Jonathan Tjarks was comparing him to Kawhi(!)--but I am going to try to keep a lid on expectations this season because he's coming off an ACL injury.

In June one reporter wrote this:

Former Indiana Hoosiers talent OG Anunoby hopes to return to full strength by late November or early December, a source told FanRag Sports on Monday.
                                If he misses training camp he's going to be behind the eight ball all year, and it's not like Casey gives rookies a long leash either.

Comment

Working...
                                X