Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    So I'm convinced. Norm starting and Miles off the bench is the way to go. Miles seemed to have solid chemistry with Wright and the bench. Wright's a really good ball handler that loves to pass. Miles likes to set his feet and let it fly. Good combo in my opinion.
    Agreed. And in the starting lineup Norm doesn't try to do too much and isn't asked to run a team and really create the offence like he is off the bench. Also he can then focus on defence a bit more. You need that calming veteran for the young guys to play with. It definitely helps
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• I've always felt there are 3 groups of ideal 6th men:

1.) Combo guards who can score but can't guard the 1 or 2 well (Crawford, Lou Will, etc)
      2.) Gunners who are somewhat inconsistent, but when they get hot they stay hot and can go for 20-30 points with like 5 or 6 threes (Ross, J.R Smith, etc)
      3.) The new group of centers who can score very well but are average to below average defensively (Monroe, Vucevic, Kanter)

Miles fits nicely into that 2nd group.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        So I'm convinced. Norm starting and Miles off the bench is the way to go. Miles seemed to have solid chemistry with Wright and the bench. Wright's a really good ball handler that loves to pass. Miles likes to set his feet and let it fly. Good combo in my opinion.
        GLF wrote: View Post
        Agreed. And in the starting lineup Norm doesn't try to do too much and isn't asked to run a team and really create the offence like he is off the bench. Also he can then focus on defence a bit more. You need that calming veteran for the young guys to play with. It definitely helps
        Imagine we actually win some first quarters this year? The world is ours!

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          I've always felt there are 3 groups of ideal 6th men:

1.) Combo guards who can score but can't guard the 1 or 2 well (Crawford, Lou Will, etc)
          2.) Gunners who are somewhat inconsistent, but when they get hot they stay hot and can go for 20-30 points with like 5 or 6 threes (Ross, J.R Smith, etc)
          3.) The new group of centers who can score very well but are average to below average defensively (Monroe, Vucevic, Kanter)

Miles fits nicely into that 2nd group.
          This is true. If the guy is more 3+D or even just D he's more valuable as a starter.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Looks like we'll finally start the season with the right lineup.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              This is true. If the guy is more 3+D or even just D he's more valuable as a starter.
              Essentially. Because that defense goes to waste if you use it primarily against bench units. That's why OKC will play Melo at the 4 and start Roberson instead of George at the 2, Melo at the 3 and 2pat at the 4. Roberson's defensive value is greatly diminished if he comes off the bench.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post

Looks like we'll finally start the season with the right lineup.
                The 5 best players starting? Novel idea

It'd be a shame if

Somebody changed that

before Game 1

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post

Looks like we'll finally start the season with the right lineup.
                  Hallelujah!
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Yes!!!!!
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• I must admit that Norm has been a bit of a disappointment to me so far this (pre) season. I wonder if it is because he has been focused on facilitating more. It looks like the have had him bringing up the ball more and buying into the increased focus on the passing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking it to the rack a little more after the first 10-15 games.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        I must admit that Norm has been a bit of a disappointment to me so far this (pre) season. I wonder if it is because he has been focused on facilitating more. It looks like the have had him bringing up the ball more and buying into the increased focus on the passing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking it to the rack a little more after the first 10-15 games.
                        Yea i think he's just trying to get comfortable with that starting unit and figure out when to be aggressive and when to pass. I'm not too worried about him but I will agree he hasn't looked as good as I thought he would so far throughout the preseason.

Comment

• I dunno, he missed some shots last game but was a +13 on the night, most of that coming with the starters. He started one other game, but struggled, with Bruno in DeRozan's place (so that's understandable). So in that game he was essentially playing in a bench unit, and it went unsurprisingly poorly - as it always has when he's asked to carry a heavy load. He missed one game, and played OK in the bench unit individually in game 1, though his lineups got absolutely shelled to the tune of a -12 on the night.

So, I mean, I'm pretty happy with him being part of starting lineups that smack opponents around more often than not, regardless of his individual shooting numbers.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I dunno, he missed some shots last game but was a +13 on the night, most of that coming with the starters. He started one other game, but struggled, with Bruno in DeRozan's place (so that's understandable). So in that game he was essentially playing in a bench unit, and it went unsurprisingly poorly - as it always has when he's asked to carry a heavy load. He missed one game, and played OK in the bench unit individually in game 1, though his lineups got absolutely shelled to the tune of a -12 on the night.

So, I mean, I'm pretty happy with him being part of starting lineups that smack opponents around more often than not, regardless of his individual shooting numbers.
                            He's so clearly a better fit as a 4th or 5th option role player with the starters who focuses on D, takes open 3's, and slashes to the basket when appropriate, rather than trying to be DeRozan 2.0 with an inexperienced bench unit. At this point, Powell forcing his game does not work at all. Really liked the look of Miles as the vet quarterback with the bench last game, hopefully see some more of that. Miles plus one of DeMar/Lowry with the bench means you're only actually bringing out 3 young guys at a time with 2 solid vets, which looks like it would be a well balanced bench lineup.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              ...Miles plus one of DeMar/Lowry with the bench means you're only actually bringing out 3 young guys at a time with 2 solid vets, which looks like it would be a well balanced bench lineup.
                              Yeah. That look puts a couple of serious scoring threats on the floor with the bench guys, opening things up so the second unit players can go to work. I like that a lot.

Comment

• I really want him to hone his three point shots and also court awareness.

Comment

Working...
                                X