Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    My concern with Powell is I don't see how he gets in a game. Unless there are some significant injuries anyway.
    Ya, at this point, he's not looking like part of the rotation. But a strong camp could change that.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I'm looking forward to seeing what Powell brings this year, with a fresh voice in Nurse guiding him.

Hopefully, his role is simplified. Come in, play tough, on-ball defense, and take the open corner 3s when presented. Instead of jacking up shots on every touch.
      A fresh voice?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        A fresh voice?
        Good point.

I suppose I meant a fresh message.

Comment

Ya, at this point, he's not looking like part of the rotation. But a strong camp could change that.
          I mentioned this in the off season thread just now.. but he's got way more competition for minutes this year than last year. Last year it was OG and Miles. Now he's also behind Kawhi and Green as well.

Even if he has a great camp.. he's still pretty low in the pecking order. I could see him getting the Bebe treatment from last year.. but than he'll never get in rhythm. I don't see Powell as a microwave type.

Would rather have that 4th big over Powell.. and it may require a sweetener to move Powell due to his contract/length. I would attach Wright for the ideal big. But if we could get a big without moving Wright all the better.

Comment

Good point.

I suppose I meant a fresh message.
            We'll see. It's the same offence really...Norm just has to make teams pay when they leave him open.

Comment

We'll see. It's the same offence really...Norm just has to make teams pay when they leave him open.
              Offense will be similar, some plays will probably be different, rotations, timeouts, etc.

Part of the reason I think why Powell struggled last season was because he had no role, no consistent minutes, he’d play 20 mins one game, 5 the next, 13 the game after and so on. Give him a consistent 10-15 minutes and he can get into a rhythm.

Comment

• Do you guys think Nerlens Noel would be a good back up big for us? I seem to recall Ujiri had some interest in him at one point and OKC is well into the luxury tax even after the Melo trade. Any way we could flip Norm for Noel and they get some relief from the luxury tax?

Comment

Do you guys think Nerlens Noel would be a good back up big for us? I seem to recall Ujiri had some interest in him at one point and OKC is well into the luxury tax even after the Melo trade. Any way we could flip Norm for Noel and they get some relief from the luxury tax?
                  Well, Norm makes 9M and Noel makes 1.7M, so it would need to be different from just that.

With both teams deep in the tax, there's likely not a fit there.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                    Offense will be similar, some plays will probably be different, rotations, timeouts, etc.

Part of the reason I think why Powell struggled last season was because he had no role, no consistent minutes, he’d play 20 mins one game, 5 the next, 13 the game after and so on. Give him a consistent 10-15 minutes and he can get into a rhythm.
                    True about the inconsistent minutes, but he wasn't exactly playing great as a starter before he got injured. Thinking back at last season the only weak spot in our rotation was at PF and Norm wasn't going to be able to fill those minutes.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Well, Norm makes 9M and Noel makes 1.7M, so it would need to be different from just that.

With both teams deep in the tax, there's likely not a fit there.
                      Oh wow, did not realize Noel was just making that. How far into the tax is Toronto?

Comment

Oh wow, did not realize Noel was just making that. How far into the tax is Toronto?
                        I wrote an article and pulled the pertinent sections in the stickied cap thread.

https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/s...l=1#post852430
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I have no basis for this, but I have a good feeling about Norm this year. Yes, getting Kawhi and Danny Green makes it even harder for him to get minutes, but Green is exactly the type of heady vet that Norm needs to learn from. It might take most of the season, but Norm is going to look much better for us and will be a part of the rotation by playoff time.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            I have no basis for this, but I have a good feeling about Norm this year. Yes, getting Kawhi and Danny Green makes it even harder for him to get minutes, but Green is exactly the type of heady vet that Norm needs to learn from. It might take most of the season, but Norm is going to look much better for us and will be a part of the rotation by playoff time.
                            At the very least, he increases his trade value and entices the Kings or Knicks to pull the trigger

Comment

At the very least, he increases his trade value and entices the Kings or Knicks to pull the trigger
                              lol maybe.

But I see Miles not being needed nearly as much this year. His shooting was a requirement for minutes last year, but with Kawhi and Green on-board, we have more shooters, so a one-trick pony like Miles is much less required. A guy who can attack and defend at rate, which Norm seems capable of, should be able to carve out more of a role. Plus Norm hasn't really had great leaders on the wing to learn from - Danny Green gives him a fantastic template that is attainable.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I wish this guy would play well again so I can make WAM, BAM, POW sound effects alone in my apartment when he scores.

Comment

Working...
                                X