Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I can do catch and shoot versus off the dribble, and contested versus uncontested, but the publicly available data doesn't allow for filtering by both criteria at once, sadly.
    Crunch the numbers then dan! Come on, what are you even here for?

Comment

• Damn, Powell getting squeezed by Miles for playing time in his own thread...
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Damn, Powell getting squeezed by Miles for playing time in his own thread...
        I thought that was funny. Nice guy, trying damn hard, but nothing's going right for him.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          Damn, Powell getting squeezed by Miles for playing time in his own thread...
          Classic post

Comment

CJ Miles took the 7th most tightly contested threes in the league at 1.8 per game. This is ignoring that he played so few minutes, pure per-game average. He shot 33% on them. The other shooters who took that many?

Harden 35%
            Durant 38%
            Ellington 37%
            Lillard 34%
            Irving 37%
            G. Green 29%
            Miles 33%
            Curry 31%

CJ Miles took the 124th most wide open threes in the league at 1.9 per game. He shot 42% on them. The above shooters on wide open threes:

Harden 41%
            Durant 57% (holy crap)
            Ellington 44%
            Lillard 40%
            Irving 39%
            G. Green 45%
            Miles 42%
            Curry 47%

So, he posted pretty typical conversion rates compared to the league's elite three point shooters. Now, Durant and Curry he is not, but in terms of elite high volume gunners across the league, he is right at home with those guys that tend to get covered very tightly by opposing defences.
            where do you find these numbers? curious to see the percentages for all the raptors players including Kawhi (from 2016) and Green

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              where do you find these numbers? curious to see the percentages for all the raptors players including Kawhi (from 2016) and Green
              http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-c...%20Wide%20Open

Green shot 40% on wide open threes last year, 32% on contested threes (only 0.5 attempts per game).

Kawhi shot 42% on wide open threes in 16-17, 16% on contested threes (0.6 attempts).

Lowry and VanVleet are lethal when wide open (47%), as is JV (43%, small sample of course), and Delon is not far behind Miles (41%). Serge hit 36%, OG only 34% (which is weird - this is balanced out by him hitting at 44% on "moderately open" threes, where the defence is neither tightly contesting nor leaving him wide open). Powell and Siakam at 29% and 23% are no surprise...

For tightly contested threes, Ibaka barely drops off at all, hitting about 34% of his attempts. I guess he's tall, and not reliable enough when open to see a big difference there (small sample, too). OG is hilariously 2 for 2. Lowry and Miles both posted 33% in this scenario, and threw up almost identical total contested attempts (126 vs 129) - but again, Lowry played 32 MPG, CJ only 19. Delon and Fred both plummeted to 23-25% (small samples both, especially for Wright who took 8 shots) - perhaps an indication that neither are really ready to step into Lowry's role just yet.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-c...%20Wide%20Open

Green shot 40% on wide open threes last year, 32% on contested threes (only 0.5 attempts per game)...
                An indication he avoids taking bad shots?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  An indication he avoids taking bad shots?
                  Green takes plenty of bad shots, considering he took 3.5 two-pointers a game last year at a 41% clip.

But in this system, hopefully he restricts himself primarily to threes. And he shouldn't need to take contested threes very often if he's playing where I think he should be (with the starters, even if he doesn't start).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Green takes plenty of bad shots, considering he took 3.5 two-pointers a game last year at a 41% clip.

But in this system, hopefully he restricts himself primarily to threes. And he shouldn't need to take contested threes very often if he's playing where I think he should be (with the starters, even if he doesn't start).
                    Meant to say "bad three point shots," but your point stands.

Comment

• His first 2 seasons Norm shot the 3 ball 35% on 262 attempts. He can shoot the 3. He also has a lot more offensive tools than just the 3pt shot. Miles, not so much.

That said, for me it all comes down to defense. Who is going to play better defense, Norm or Miles? Whoever does gets more playing time. Either guy is still going to be the 10th man so not a difference maker in my opinion.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        His first 2 seasons Norm shot the 3 ball 35% on 262 attempts. He can shoot the 3. He also has a lot more offensive tools than just the 3pt shot. Miles, not so much.

That said, for me it all comes down to defense. Who is going to play better defense, Norm or Miles? Whoever does gets more playing time. Either guy is still going to be the 10th man so not a difference maker in my opinion.
                        This is where you start to think -- isn't Powell the no-brainer? I wonder why he took such a huge step back last season.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                          This is where you start to think -- isn't Powell the no-brainer? I wonder why he took such a huge step back last season.
                          In his post introductory press conference scrum Nurse said it was partly his fault due to letting Norm work out so much solo during practice instead of playing with the bench mob, so he lost the chemistry with them and was out of sorts on the court. Said they had talked and Norm was willing to do whatever to get back in the groove. I'm expecting a return to form.

Comment

...I'm expecting a return to form.
                            Hope so, better for Norm and the Raps, whether they keep him or deal him midway through the season. If the Raptors can manage the lack of frontcourt depth, I would love it if they could keep him. I always root for the underdog, but it is a f##k of a lot more fun when the underdog makes good.

Comment

In his post introductory press conference scrum Nurse said it was partly his fault due to letting Norm work out so much solo during practice instead of playing with the bench mob, so he lost the chemistry with them and was out of sorts on the court. Said they had talked and Norm was willing to do whatever to get back in the groove. I'm expecting a return to form.
                              But, he was a starter last year. It was his position, and Casey rode that wagon for awhile until he was pretty much useless on the court. He lacked aggression, his defence was bad, couldn't make a shot... it was tough to watch. I don't buy that solo workout thing, y'know? I feel like t

I felt like he was left to fend for himself on the court.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

His first 2 seasons Norm shot the 3 ball 35% on 262 attempts. He can shoot the 3. He also has a lot more offensive tools than just the 3pt shot. Miles, not so much.

Like Dan said. The difference is open vs contested.

In his sophomore year (Norm’s best year) he shot the majority of his 3’s open or wide open.

Wide open, he was a 37% shooter.
                                Open, he was a 25% shooter.
                                He almost never shot contested or tightly contested shots.

This may be due to him knowing to only shoot when open, but it also soeaks to the defence not being drawn out of the paint, which is the point of playing a shooter.

Norm flat out doesn’t provide the shooting that Miles does, regardless of the fact that they shot similar 3P%. Miles is hitting contested shots almost at the rate that Norm hits wide open shots.

Trying to justify Norm getting minutes by talking about defence is an entirely different argument, but don’t bring up his shooting like he’s able to replace Miles’ shooting

Comment

Working...
                                X