Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Yeah if Norm elevates his performance this year this iteration of Los Raptors will be deeper than last years team AND we added a top 5 all nba player.
    This is Canada man, Les Raptors please.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      This is actually brilliant, why tf is there not a Les Raptors jersey yet? This is an officially bilingual country and they're marketed as Canada's team.

US doesn't even have one official language and they have multiple bilingual jerseys south of the border.

Comment

This is actually brilliant, why tf is there not a Les Raptors jersey yet? This is an officially bilingual country and they're marketed as Canada's team.

US doesn't even have one official language and they have multiple bilingual jerseys south of the border.
        Did you just quote your own brilliance? (It really is a pretty good idea)
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The Raptors en francais ce sont Les Rapaces.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            The Raptors en francais ce sont Les Rapaces.
            If you start translating proper nouns, we're gonna get really confused.

Singing "OK! Les Gaie Bleu!" for example has too many syllables and definitely would have confused Tony Fernandez.
            Last edited by S.R.; Fri Sep 28, 2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Whats a syllable between friends ?
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

• What if "Real" Norm comes back this year? The one that was regularly guarding the other team's best player. The one that was hitting threes. The one that was hammering home dunks after back cuts and fast breaks?

Eh? What then? What are the odds that the Raptors have the #1 defense in the league?

Comment

• I would love to see norman and kawhi on the starting line up!!!!
                  When derozan was traded, I thought norman would be inserted right back into the strating line up

Comment

• Kawhisexual wrote: View Post
                    I would love to see norman and kawhi on the starting line up!!!!
                    When derozan was traded, I thought norman would be inserted right back into the strating line up
                    Why?

I mean, DeMar gets swapped for Kawhi. We get a veteran 3&D guy in Green. Anunoby vastly outplayed Norm last year and there's hope for him to improve.

Who would Norm replace?

I like Norm but he's going to have a hard time re-establishing himself on this team.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Why?

I mean, DeMar gets swapped for Kawhi. We get a veteran 3&D guy in Green. Anunoby vastly outplayed Norm last year and there's hope for him to improve.

Who would Norm replace?

I like Norm but he's going to have a hard time re-establishing himself on this team.
                      that is truee... I just thought Norm has higher ceiling than Green but, we are in a win-now mode so I definitely agree with ya

Comment

Why?

Who would Norm replace?

For now hes good injury insurance as well as being from the same high school as Kawhi. Great 11th man
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Why?

Who would Norm replace?

Danny Green isn't that good anymore, there's a reason why the Spurs threw him into the Kawhi Leonard trade. It showed last night, he couldn't hit open shots (his only role on offense), and sometimes he was a step slow on defense. And he still can't dribble for shit - Aminu stripped him after he put the ball on the floor after a defensive rebound.

Masai has a habit of plucking once-good players who are no longer good to fill important roles (see: Carroll, Ibaka) and I suspect Green is another one in a long line of those.

The "Anunoby vastly outplayed Norm" narrative is technically true, but also misleading, because Norm doesn't have the size/strength/off-ball play that Anunoby has. Norm should have never started at small forward last year (Anunoby should have started from day 1, since he was already playing by the end of pre-season), and anyone with at least half of a brain cell knew that Lowry/DeRozan/Powell/Ibaka/Valanciunas lineup was never going to work and would not take the Raptors anywhere. Yet another one of Casey's awful and stupid decisions, thinking that an undersized ball-dominant SG could play SF full-time, especially next to Lowry and DeRozan. If it wasn't for Powell's injury in Boston, I'm not sure that Casey would have pulled the plug on that non-sense lineup sooner.

As for what I saw from Powell last night, the results were good, but the process wasn't. Yeah, okay, he was 2 of 3 from beyond the arc last night, but he's still playing SF instead of SG, he's still playing primarily as a spot-up shooter/floor spacer on offense (3 of his 5 FGA were threes), and he still rarely gets the ball in his hands, where his real offensive upside is. If that continues, he's not going anywhere this season. I'd love to see him in the starting lineup, being more dynamic on the offensive end by running PnR and driving to the rim more, instead of trying to make him into a Vietnamese bootleg of Danny Green.
                          Last edited by DerozansSpurs; Sun Sep 30, 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
                            Danny Green isn't that good anymore, there's a reason why the Spurs threw him into the Kawhi Leonard trade. It showed last night, he couldn't hit open shots (his only role on offense), and sometimes he was a step slow on defense. And he still can't dribble for shit - Aminu stripped him after he put the ball on the floor after a defensive rebound.

Masai has a habit of plucking once-good players who are no longer good to fill important roles (see: Carroll, Ibaka) and I suspect Green is another one in a long line of those.

The "Anunoby vastly outplayed Norm" narrative is technically true, but also misleading, because Norm doesn't have the size/strength/off-ball play that Anunoby has. Norm should have never started at small forward last year (Anunoby should have started from day 1, since he was already playing by the end of pre-season), and anyone with at least half of a brain cell knew that Lowry/DeRozan/Powell/Ibaka/Valanciunas lineup was never going to work and would not take the Raptors anywhere. Yet another one of Casey's awful and stupid decisions, thinking that an undersized ball-dominant SG could play SF full-time, especially next to Lowry and DeRozan. If it wasn't for Powell's injury in Boston, I'm not sure that Casey would have pulled the plug on that non-sense lineup sooner.
                            Yes, but Norm also wasn't hitting shots last year, wasn't defending well and was a disaster every time he put the ball on the court. On top of that he was pressing and trying to do too much a lot of the time.

The question was whether Norm should start, and I can't see how that works. If Nurse is going to start a 3&D wing like Norm or Green, Norm would have to seriously outplay Green.

Otherwise I think we see basically the same starting 5 as last year, with Kawhi taking DeMar's spot. That is probably the safest bet.

Also, the Spurs had to include someone and other options wouldn't work well for one or both teams. Mills and Gasol are not particularly attractive pieces. Green was probably the only option both teams were ok with being added to the deal.

Comment

3&D wing like Norm
                              As long as the Raptors continue to use Norm as a 3&D player, he's going absolutely nowhere. I'll just leave it at that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square...n_a_round_hole

edit: However, I've always thought that the starting lineup needs more offense and (specifically) more penetration from the guards. And I think Norm can provide that.
                              Last edited by DerozansSpurs; Sun Sep 30, 2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
                                As long as the Raptors continue to use Norm as a 3&D player, he's going absolutely nowhere. I'll just leave it at that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square...n_a_round_hole
                                Well he isn't a good playmaker or iso scorer. If he can't shoot, he doesn't really belong in a nightly rotation. 11th-12th man is his best case then.

*He doesn't have to be a spectacular shooter, but he has to be able to make the D care that he's out there.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Sep 30, 2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X