No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel this could be Norm's year. I believe the "Ewing theory" actually applies in certain contexts. The theory states that certain players and teams inexplicably play better/more loose when a dominant player is off-court.

I don't think the end result is necessarily better when you're down a star obviously, but we've seen recent examples of players/teams showing more flashes of brilliance when they're down one star: Golden State in their Portland series without Durant, Raps on their 17-4 reg season run playing fluid without Kawhi, Celtics without Kyrie on their ECF run.

I can see Norm finally settling into a role, being confident from 3, explosive on drives, and at the same time making smart decisions. It feels like he knows who he is now (which was hard for him to find out during the Casey years), and this season things will finally align for him to have the in-season rhythm he needs to play confident, but not force things. Things are lining up for him to reach his full potential this year.

I feel The fact that the championship is already achieved will lead guys to play loose and fluid, I can see that being particularly true for Norm, Lowry, Serge & Gasol. With (a) the mission already accomplished , (b) not having a supernova guy taking too much oxygen and (c) elite vets on contract years, this team could surprise a lot of people (in a good way). I'm low-key hoping they can make it to the ECF.
    Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Jul 28, 2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
      I feel this could be Norm's year. I believe the "Ewing theory" actually applies in certain contexts. The theory states that certain players and teams inexplicably play better/more loose when a dominant player is off-court.

I don't think the end result is necessarily better when you're down a star obviously, but we've seen recent examples of players/teams showing more flashes of brilliance when their down one star: Golden State in their Portland series without Durant, Raps on their 17-4 reg season run playing fluid without Kawhi, Celtics without Kyrie on their ECF run.

I can see Norm finally settling into a role, being confident from 3, explosive on drives, and at the same time making smart decisions. It feels like he knows who he is now (which was hard for him to find out during the Casey years), and this season things will finally align for him to have the in-season rhythm he needs to play confident, but not force things. Things are lining up for him to reach his full potential this year.

I feel The fact that the championship is already achieved will lead guys to play loose and fluid, I can see that being particularly true for Norm, Lowry, Serge & Gasol. With (a) the mission already accomplished , (b) not having a supernova guy taking too much oxygen and (c) elite vets on contract years, this team could surprise a lot of people (in a good way). I'm low-key hoping they can make it to the ECF.
      yep definitely kawhi was the only iso player so I think Norm will get plenty of buckets cutting too

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
        I feel this could be Norm's year. I believe the "Ewing theory" actually applies in certain contexts. The theory states that certain players and teams inexplicably play better/more loose when a dominant player is off-court.

I don't think the end result is necessarily better when you're down a star obviously, but we've seen recent examples of players/teams showing more flashes of brilliance when they're down one star: Golden State in their Portland series without Durant, Raps on their 17-4 reg season run playing fluid without Kawhi, Celtics without Kyrie on their ECF run.

Ewing Theory does not apply to Kawhi. It often happens when a high usage, low efficiency scorer (like Ewing or Melo) leaves a team. Before the days of analytics, people thought these guys were Top 5 type talents because they averaged high PPG. What we realize now is that they were shooting their teams out of games.

Kawhi, on the other hand, is a high usage, high efficiency scorer - that is going to be near impossible to replace.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Ewing Theory does not apply to Kawhi. It often happens when a high usage, low efficiency scorer (like Ewing or Melo) leaves a team. Before the days of analytics, people thought these guys were Top 5 type talents because they averaged high PPG. What we realize now is that they were shooting their teams out of games.

Kawhi, on the other hand, is a high usage, high efficiency scorer - that is going to be near impossible to replace.
          Dude...

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Dude...

Not sure I know the theory well enough to engage in this conversation, but if you played enough pickup, you've been on a team with an amazing player and seen the rest of the team either relax and not play their best or been pushed to the side and never given the chance. Not to say the whole is improved by removing the amazing player, but individuals can play much better with the opportunity and pressure. There were many stretches where the team played passive with Kawhi, cause they knew he was the guy, now they dont have that, how do they respond...

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Dude...

lol. Sorry, man. No need to fret - we still have Masai. A man who built a championship team featuring no lottery picks, consistently drafting in the 20's and above (or not at all) while inheriting a team with franchise cornerstones Andrea Bargnani & Rudy Gay with no first round pick. And we've been consistently winniing 50+ games while developing young players, which is damn near impossible. I'm actually pretty excited to see what Masai can build with a blank canvas.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

lol. Sorry, man. No need to fret - we still have Masai. A man who built a championship team featuring no lottery picks, consistently drafting in the 20's and above (or not at all) while inheriting a team with franchise cornerstones Andrea Bargnani & Rudy Gay with no first round pick. And we've been consistently winniing 50+ games while developing young players, which is damn near impossible. I'm actually pretty excited to see what Masai can build with a blank canvas.
                Yeah, I'm actually quite stoked as well to see what's in store. On one hand, Kawhi's departure immeasurably lowers our chances of winning another chip anytime soon. That said, I feel like this team could still be capable of very exciting things, even this year, and Masai is the best exec possible to set us up, against any and all odds, for exciting things to come in the future.

Honestly though, for next year, the idea of not being in the expected running to win it all --- I mean, how is that different from any other year that I've been a Raps fan. I've always had hope, and I still will now. I'm still going into the season ready to enjoy my Raps, as ever, and I think it should be a pretty interesting ride with a ton of great storylines and opportunities for great W's along the way.

And nothing can take away the championship glow.

Comment

• Yeah this season should be a lot of fun, depending on your expectations of course. We dont have to carry the burden of the expectation of a title defense, while still having an interesting group of players that are easy to cheer for and could very well surprise the league. So at least, we wont have to worry about the potential disappointment of falling short. And we have pascal and OG to look forward to, as well as whatever MU decides to do with the roster going down the stretch. We could be surprisingly good, and MU finds a star or superstar to trade for to make a title defence possible. Or it could become painfully obvious we are playoff fodder and all the vets get moved for prospects and picks, which would give us all something to pine over and look forward to. Either way, it will be an interesting season.

Comment

• I knew Norm had ups and downs but this is a perfect example of how reputation can taint everything. How did I not know this? Front the front section "Player Review" on Norm this past season:

"Powell shot 48.3 percent from the field, the highest by far of his career. The brunt of the improvement came at the rim, where he shot 60 percent. 2018-19 marked the first year Powell was an above-average finisher at the rim. He is an incredible athlete, but Powell’s improvement more came in his decision-making, his conscious efforts to jump from closer in the paint, and the fact that he almost eliminated his proclivity to jump into rim protectors without a plan.

Powell also shot 40 percent from deep for the first time since his rookie season. He was excellent from both the corners and above the break. Still, he only took 170 3s during the regular season, fewer than Pascal Siakam or OG Anunoby. Despite his accuracy, Powell took only one more 3 during the season than Serge Ibaka."

If anyone is poised to have a breakout year this season, it's Norm. He is more mature, he has ab 82 game example of what works and what doesn't, with Kawhi and Danny gone there are going to be upwards of 30 shots to be spread between the players that are left, the coaching staff is going to be hunting for ways to make their existing personnel more effective and a BIG part of that will be to spread the floor to help open it up for Fred and Kyle. And 40% from 3 pt land will do that.

Looking for a big year from Norm.
                    Last edited by Puffer; Tue Aug 13, 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I knew Norm had ups and downs but this is a perfect example of how reputation can taint everything. How did I not know this? Front the front section "Player Review" on Norm this past season:

"Powell shot 48.3 percent from the field, the highest by far of his career. The brunt of the improvement came at the rim, where he shot 60 percent. 2018-19 marked the first year Powell was an above-average finisher at the rim. He is an incredible athlete, but Powell’s improvement more came in his decision-making, his conscious efforts to jump from closer in the paint, and the fact that he almost eliminated his proclivity to jump into rim protectors without a plan.

Powell also shot 40 percent from deep for the first time since his rookie season. He was excellent from both the corners and above the break. Still, he only took 170 3s during the regular season, fewer than Pascal Siakam or OG Anunoby. Despite his accuracy, Powell took only one more 3 during the season than Serge Ibaka."

If anyone is poised to have a breakout year this season, it's Norm. He is more mature, he has ab 82 game example of what works and what doesn't, with Kawhi and Danny gone there are going to be upwards of 30 shots to be spread between the players that are left, the coaching staff is going to be hunting for ways to make their existing personnel more effective and a BIG part of that will be to spread the floor to help open it up for Fred and Kyle. And 40% from 3 pt land will do that.

Looking for a big year from Norm.
                      Really hope he was wising up at the end of last season and it wasn't just a nice run (he has had nice runs before). We're thin at the 2/3 spot if anywhere and Norm and OG will have plenty of opportunity to step up and get big minutes for themselves this season.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• https://youtu.be/K71Gj32OUt8

Comment

• Just the summer but love what I'm seeing from our guys. Matt Thomas can't defend just as I thought. Getting torched by John Lucas who is probably like 45 now lmao. He has no hope guarding anyone in the league lol. Stroke is as advertised though
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Apparently Norm is having an awesome camp. Very excited to see what he can do in a clear roll. I'm hoping Nurse sticks with him as the starting shooting guard. I'd like to see a Kyle/Norm/OG/Pascal/Gasol lineup start consistently but apparently Nurse wants to keep experimenting.

Comment

• Expecting big things from Norm this year. It's his time.

Comment

• It's only pre-season, but Norm over the last 2 games is 7/10 from 3, 100% FT%, 36 points, and only one turnover in 39 minutes...

Comment

Working...
                                X