Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Ah yes I forgot that detail.

Still fact remains, Norm Powell could still easily be Norm Powell playing in the italian league right now

One thing Norm, Fred, Pascal all have in common noticeably over Delon, Bruno, and seemingly OG - and insatiable hunger and work ethic
    For real, the draft is nuts and I don't know how Masai is doing it. Is some of this straight luck?

I mean what's the difference between 46th pick Norm Powell and 39th pick Sonny Weems on draft night? Or 16th pick Joey Graham and 23rd pick OG? Virtually nothing. Player development creates opportunity but you still need a guy with the drive and the capacity to improve.

Masai is big on guys with heart/hustle + athleticism, regardless of other stuff eg age or even an unbalanced skill set (well, he almost always makes sure the guy can shoot). Some kind of magic recipe in there.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

For real, the draft is nuts and I don't know how Masai is doing it. Is some of this straight luck?

I mean what's the difference between 46th pick Norm Powell and 39th pick Sonny Weems on draft night? Or 16th pick Joey Graham and 23rd pick OG? Virtually nothing. Player development creates opportunity but you still need a guy with the drive and the capacity to improve.

Masai is big on guys with heart/hustle + athleticism, regardless of other stuff eg age or even an unbalanced skill set (well, he almost always makes sure the guy can shoot). Some kind of magic recipe in there.
      Some of it is luck, but ultimately, he's applying an age-old principle: effort/hustle/work ethic/staying power/grind etc. (let's call it heart for simplicity) when given time, will almost always outpace "empty" talent (that is, talent in a vacuum without the heart). The heart (combo above), is very hard to teach, it's something more innate/fundamental, but if a player has it, he'll have the potential to unlock everything else.

Not so much the other way around. A super talented kid that has been pampered and hyped by the media since high school often gets to the league either feeling entitled, or intimidated by the unrealistic expectations placed on them by others.

Draft the prima-donna and you might get lucky with the talent but you're also at the mercy of his whims. Draft the grinder and you'll have a shot of teaching him everything else. Masai typically goes for the latter, and that's usually a good bet.

Comment

• Retire #8 and #24

Comment

• Yeah Norm.

Comment

• Damn, norm made drummond look like a fool multiple times...nasty dunks. Love his game this season. Keep it up, soon be time for a raise!

Comment

• I get the whole "sell high" idea on Norm and you'd hate to look back on this an opportunity if he regresses.
              But I'd hate even more to ship him out and watch him flourish on another team ..... and the more weeks he does this, the more it looks more like good Norm is the new Norm.

Anyone got a crystal ball?

Comment

• And.... like clockwork:

fuckin hell

Comment

• Broken Finger: Out indefinitely
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Damn. This for sure means 35 minutes of McCaw.

Comment

• We’re friggin paying the piper in the injury department this season for all our good fortune in 2019.

Comment

• Damn, we likely need norm for that home and home with indy. Hopefully davis can light it up in those games.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          Damn, we likely need norm for that home and home with indy. Hopefully davis can light it up in those games.
                          Yeah, dammit. Norm’s a Pacer killer.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                            And.... like clockwork:

fuckin hell
                            Shit, Pistons game again spawning injuries. We're gonna lose some games now without Norm. Before the shoulder injury as well as after he was playing great, that sucks

Comment

• Kyle broke a thumb, Matt broke a ring finger, now Norm. We're almost up to a full hand
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Norm is good player and I love his game.but his always hurt and guys who are always hurt..not sure u can relay on them long term..sorry..but I'm just keeping it real, his great commodity, and if there is ever a time 2 make ure team better and norms value at highest peak, this is it, I'm just putting it out there, dont want him gone..but if u can make ure team better, u gotta pull the trigger..I honestly dont want c McCaw playing 35 min and scoring..zero pts zero rebounds, zero assists..zero everything..plus any word when his coming back, broken hand takes long time..I don't know..this sucks..
                                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                                X