No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing a game with Kanter and Melo trying to play defence is kind of hilarious, good thing it's the Magic.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Blazers fans are already trying to figure out what McCollum can get them in a trade.

edit: Raps have a bunch of shitty players but our top guys are way underrated.
      CJ hogging the ball. Norm won’t get any shots once Dame gets back.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

CJ hogging the ball. Norm won’t get any shots once Dame gets back.
        Yeah, just CJ and Melo on the floor and no one looked at Norm (game high scorer at that point) in the closing minutes. CJ got his buckets, matched Norm's scoring on twice as many shots. So there's that.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

How norm is playing right now on a 11 million dollar contract is going to be his peak value as an NBA asset. How he may be playing next year on a 20 dollar contract he would have to take another step to reach his value he had yesterday. Dont forget it wasnt to long ago we were talking about attaching picks to get him out. Bow we are getting a young dude a franchise was very high on in return
          What? Well i certainly never discussed attaching picks to get him out. Thats just foolish raps fans thinking he cant be moved or that he sucks. And they were proven wrong on that front. Last season, and this season norm has greatly overplayed his contract. He is worth 20M given his production. He does not need to take another step. He is basically a 20-25ppg player on super efficiency. If he starts and gets usage he will continue that play. I know everyone thinks norm does nothing else for the team, but its not his job to rebound. His playmaking will come around when it becomes necessary to actually pass the ball. Hes so efficient right now that he doesnt have to leverage his scoring to be a playmaker because him shooting the ball is just as likely to lead to a basket than him passing. And given the way he is used, catch and shoot 3s, quick drives and slashes, and a little downhill off of PnR action, there is just more opportunity for him to score than pass. Nontheless, he is not a black hole on offence, moves the ball well and generally plays within the system. His d leaves something to be desired, but hes improved alot there over the last couple of seasons as well.

Norms gonna be alright, and so will the raps. Im not salty about the trade, but lets be realistic. Norm was moved to leverage the small cap hold of Trent Jr, so that they can use some cap space in the event lowry was traded, gets traded or walks. It was a smart bit of business by the Raps, cause it isnt like trent jr is bad or anything. They get a young player with upside, that can do some of things that norm did on offence while improving the D at that position.

Its a good move, but has nothing to do with trying to extract peak value. Like deane said, he'd still be a rap if didnt have the PO for next season.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

If Norm was a great player that argument would make sense.

But you re-sign Norm and he sees any regression in his shooting and suddenly he’s not just dipping in value, he is hard to move. Not sure how “expecting a big raise” and “already locked into a big raise” are significantly different in terms of value.
            Lol, is that an argument. Norm is not great and may regress because of the way you value ball players. I would have thought you of all people would appreciate his efficiency, but you've been down on norm since forever so Im not surprised.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

What? Well i certainly never discussed attaching picks to get him out. Thats just foolish raps fans thinking he cant be moved or that he sucks. And they were proven wrong on that front. Last season, and this season norm has greatly overplayed his contract. He is worth 20M given his production. He does not need to take another step. He is basically a 20-25ppg player on super efficiency. If he starts and gets usage he will continue that play. I know everyone thinks norm does nothing else for the team, but its not his job to rebound. His playmaking will come around when it becomes necessary to actually pass the ball. Hes so efficient right now that he doesnt have to leverage his scoring to be a playmaker because him shooting the ball is just as likely to lead to a basket than him passing. And given the way he is used, catch and shoot 3s, quick drives and slashes, and a little downhill off of PnR action, there is just more opportunity for him to score than pass. Nontheless, he is not a black hole on offence, moves the ball well and generally plays within the system. His d leaves something to be desired, but hes improved alot there over the last couple of seasons as well.

Norms gonna be alright, and so will the raps. Im not salty about the trade, but lets be realistic. Norm was moved to leverage the small cap hold of Trent Jr, so that they can use some cap space in the event lowry was traded, gets traded or walks. It was a smart bit of business by the Raps, cause it isnt like trent jr is bad or anything. They get a young player with upside, that can do some of things that norm did on offence while improving the D at that position.

Its a good move, but has nothing to do with trying to extract peak value. Like deane said, he'd still be a rap if didnt have the PO for next season.
              Yeah Norm's been elite offensively for some time now.. the sample size on him has grown to the point where you just know that is who he is.. an efficient scorer.. and one of the most efficient scorers in the league. His defense has really slipped to the point that he can hurt you on that end, but he more than makes up for it on the offensive side.

I do think the trade was done for economic reasons more than basketball reasons. It's not just Trent's cap hold, which will be moot if Lowry doesn't walk. Even a S&T will bring back a contract or too that will kill our cap space.

But I think more than anything they wanted to avoid being a luxury tax team. Trent will definitely make less than Norm will. And if Lowry is retained they can avoid being a tax team, and use their full mid-level. The trade just creates more flexibility with the cap.. but from an overall basketball perspective it wasn't a good trade, since Norm was the better player in the transaction. And the team that gets the better player is usually the team that wins the trade.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah Norm's been elite offensively for some time now.. the sample size on him has grown to the point where you just know that is who he is.. an efficient scorer.. and one of the most efficient scorers in the league. His defense has really slipped to the point that he can hurt you on that end, but he more than makes up for it on the offensive side.

I do think the trade was done for economic reasons more than basketball reasons. It's not just Trent's cap hold, which will be moot if Lowry doesn't walk. Even a S&T will bring back a contract or too that will kill our cap space.

But I think more than anything they wanted to avoid being a luxury tax team. Trent will definitely make less than Norm will. And if Lowry is retained they can avoid being a tax team, and use their full mid-level. The trade just creates more flexibility with the cap.. but from an overall basketball perspective it wasn't a good trade, since Norm was the better player in the transaction. And the team that gets the better player is usually the team that wins the trade.
                Well trent should make less, but it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. He turned down a 54M extension. I guess he expects 15M + per year, and norm will too of course. What will be the difference between the 2 contracts?

Comment

Well trent should make less, but it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. He turned down a 54M extension. I guess he expects 15M + per year, and norm will too of course. What will be the difference between the 2 contracts?
                  The perception is that Norm will get around $20M/yr. Trent wants more than the $54M extension which was the most that Portland could offer. He's betting on himself, but yeah I think $15M/yr might be his price.

Comment

• Happy to see Norm thrive in his first game with Portland!

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post
                      Happy to see Norm thrive in his first game with Portland!
                      We're lucky he's on the left coast or we'd be hearing about him for years. I'm giving him a stand O in my living room on Sunday....

Comment

Should be noted that there isn't actually any reporting that he turned down or was even offered the 54M (which is only referenced because it is his maximum extension amount). The only concrete report is that he decided not to negotiate an extension and wanted instead to test RFA. Should be noted he is eligible for one right now, but I imagine he still wants to see what RFA has in store. The only articles that suggest he turned down an extension of that value are poorly sourced aggregations. Odds are the Blazers would not have offered an extension of that value, setting aside that there is zero reporting of them actually offering anything.

As for Norm he will certainly be looking for 20M+. Whether he gets it or not is another question, but I would expect him to.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think maybe we have different definitions of peak value. I'm talking about play for price. What he bring you on court for what he is getting played. For how he is playing now for 11 million is a steal of a contract. For him to be considered a steal on a 20 mil contract he would have to take another step.
                          But who knows I may be biased I've wanted to sell high anytime he plays well the last 3 years cause he has been so up and down si maybe that's clouding my judgement. I just have a hard time believing he will keep this up and that might be a bias as a fan.
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

I think maybe we have different definitions of peak value. I'm talking about play for price. What he bring you on court for what he is getting played. For how he is playing now for 11 million is a steal of a contract. For him to be considered a steal on a 20 mil contract he would have to take another step.
                            But who knows I may be biased I've wanted to sell high anytime he plays well the last 3 years cause he has been so up and down si maybe that's clouding my judgement. I just have a hard time believing he will keep this up and that might be a bias as a fan.
                            The only thing worse than not selling at peak value is letting someone go who moves on to be a stud somewhere else....especially when you have years invested to develop him

Comment

I think his efficiency makes him worth the 20M. Remember, the top players in the league are getting 40M+ now. Ultimately, few of the contracts on a team will be considered a steal, unless its a superstar or a rookie scale deal. Its great when a player on their second contract outplays the value of the contract though, and its common for this team to see that. Demar did it, norm did it, OG will likely do it, FVV too I think, JV perhaps. Of course, that can make that 3rd contract burdensome and hard to gauge. GTjr will likely have a great opportunity to outplay his second contract too.

But i guess if you dont think his recent play will continue, or he doesnt improve in other areas than I understand where you're coming from.

Comment

• I also think Norm at 20M per will also be viewed as a steal before the contract is done, and his peak value, i.e. the greatest potential return via trade, will occur during his next contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X