No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I'm surprised people are so down on Trent vs Norm as straight up basketball talent. Trent is young, younger than anyone in the current core. He's made a significant step forward each of his first 3 seasons and is currently a 15 ppg, 40% 3P guy who plays defence. At 22. He's light years ahead of where Norm was at at that age.

People pushing for a younger team with a higher ceiling should love the trade, turning a 27 year old who's peaking and costs more into a 22 year old who projects to be just as good and maybe better while also creating more roster flexibility for management should be a win-win.

I think the main issue is how unfamiliar most Raptors fans were with Trent and how much people had started coming around to Norm - just this season, really. I swear this forum was still pissed off at him half the time right up until the team's COVID outbreak when Norm looked more reliable on a thin roster.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• You guys should also read T Ross and Kyle talk about Toronto in the players tribune. I don't follow other teams so not sure if it's a common occurrence, but some pretty great reads there too
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        We could've kept Powell for 20M+ and we would be committed to FVV, Siakam, OG and Norm and very little cap room to improve the rest of the team. The trade gave us the ability to keep Gary Trent and still use the cap room Masai has worked hard to clear for this upcoming summer. I think we are all aware of those implications. I know the the market for free agents has dwindled but the are still options out there. We also would have the ability to absorb a contract from another team in a trade for an asset and possibly a pick. The flexibility was key to move this team forward.

Norm has been lights out when starting for about a year now, but he wasn't always this player, and certainly is not this player when coming off the bench. It was awesome watching him grow, but I agree with the decision.
        Who? (besides Kyle Lowry)

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

A champion. I actually talked to my young boy once about "Understand The Grind" when it came up on the title run. An ancient concept but it helps resonate when it comes from a 20-something athlete.
          Work hard. Literally so many kids today don't understand that. They mock it. "yeah, pull yourself by the bootstraps, eh? The rich are all born rich. The system is keeping us down!", screams the entitled youth of today as they type it into their cell phones while lying down on a comfy couch.

Anyways, I'm getting off track
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The road to riches unfortunately goes through making up the next greatest short lived then sell out to ___ .... app .... like virtual NBA trading cards

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Wow, I'm surprised people are so down on Trent vs Norm as straight up basketball talent. Trent is young, younger than anyone in the current core. He's made a significant step forward each of his first 3 seasons and is currently a 15 ppg, 40% 3P guy who plays defence. At 22. He's light years ahead of where Norm was at at that age.

People pushing for a younger team with a higher ceiling should love the trade, turning a 27 year old who's peaking and costs more into a 22 year old who projects to be just as good and maybe better while also creating more roster flexibility for management should be a win-win.

I think the main issue is how unfamiliar most Raptors fans were with Trent and how much people had started coming around to Norm - just this season, really. I swear this forum was still pissed off at him half the time right up until the team's COVID outbreak when Norm looked more reliable on a thin roster.
              Its going to be interesting to see how their next contracts will compare.

Comment

• There’s nothing stopping us from getting Norm back and have Gary Trent jr. what’s the cap hood for Hood?

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

Its going to be interesting to see how their next contracts will compare.
                  Young guy vs Older guy I'm more comfortable giving that contract to younger guy. Maybe this is potential trap but 22 years old and he looks like reliable rotational player. Im ok with that
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Thank you Norm. Another guy that would have preferred to stay.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Young guy vs Older guy I'm more comfortable giving that contract to younger guy. Maybe this is potential trap but 22 years old and he looks like reliable rotational player. Im ok with that
                      Well folks like me wont be too ecstatic if they are both paid the same. I'm excited to see how Trent develops, but if they have similar salaries then trent is getting paid for potential while norm is getting paid for production.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

Well folks like me wont be too ecstatic if they are both paid the same. I'm excited to see how Trent develops, but if they have similar salaries then trent is getting paid for potential while norm is getting paid for production.
                        Norm is far from sure thing also
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Norm is far from sure thing also
                          Well clearly we have a different take on norm. Hes been too good for too long for me to think he will regress. That being said, he may never get the opportunity to score in portland like he did here as a starter.

Comment

• From the Norm himself:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...RiGYkoCFVf_JGM

Didn't knew he was so emotionally invested, sucks what can I say, three guys which really loved the city, JV, Demar and now Norm all really great players had to leave under these circumstances. worked out for the Raptors, worked out for JV (not too sure about Demar), let's hope it works out for Norm as well.
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                              From the Norm himself:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...RiGYkoCFVf_JGM

Didn't knew he was so emotionally invested, sucks what can I say, three guys which really loved the city, JV, Demar and now Norm all really great players had to leave under these circumstances. worked out for the Raptors, worked out for JV (not too sure about Demar), let's hope it works out for Norm as well.
                              Damn, this hits ...

Comment

• That PT piece is really good. Something to be said about this team where guys get really hurt when they move on. Really sucks that good free agents don't want to be a part of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X