No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of going left, here’s Powell who is simply more mature and experienced than anybody else on the court. Back-to-back Sweet Sixteen experiences and that senior pedigree is paying off. I realize that he’s “supposed to” be better than a lot of these players just based on experience, but he’s looking like a man amongst boys out there in terms of skill, composure, and even athletic ability. I had picked him to be a non-factor in summer legaue and I was flat-out wrong.
    Reading the above on the mainpage really makes me feel the urge to point out, again, that Powell has just turned 22 at the end of May! Born May 25, 1993.

He was a very young senior last season (21).

Time will tell but it looks like Masai/Tolzman/Weltman whoever really did a great job with this pick.

Comment

• Once I read rapotrs999 say Bradley Beal struggles because he has no PG skills I stopped paying attention to anything he says. If Beal is struggling I wish I had a team full of guys who struggle at their position on my team.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        A lot of the stuff in highlight reel and summer league will get snuffed out quick in the NBA. He needs to keep his head up if he's going to be driving against NBA defenses. Otherwise he's going to be striped or swarmed
        He does keep his head up. He isnt in grade seven here.

Thats a basic fundamental of basketball, and you arent playing in the drew league if you cannot dribble with your head up.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
          Once I read rapotrs999 say Bradley Beal struggles because he has no PG skills I stopped paying attention to anything he says. If Beal is struggling I wish I had a team full of guys who struggle at their position on my team.
          Its because he keeps his head down when dribbling

Comment

Once I read rapotrs999 say Bradley Beal struggles because he has no PG skills I stopped paying attention to anything he says. If Beal is struggling I wish I had a team full of guys who struggle at their position on my team.
            Beal has trouble getting the the line and for a player who doesn't avoid contact its because he can't dribble and pass. Defenses can just stop him once he puts it in the floor forcing mid-range shots. can provide a lot of links detailing this

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Reading the above on the mainpage really makes me feel the urge to point out, again, that Powell has just turned 22 at the end of May! Born May 25, 1993.

He was a very young senior last season (21).

Time will tell but it looks like Masai/Tolzman/Weltman whoever really did a great job with this pick.
              I could be wrong, but I believe Powell is actually the second youngest guy on our summer league team... everyone else other than Bruno is a 1992 birthday or earlier.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                He does keep his head up. He isnt in grade seven here.

Thats a basic fundamental of basketball, and you arent playing in the drew league if you cannot dribble with your head up.
                Just means tunnel vision. Powell has a quicker first step then Lowry but KL can play Powell's game better now because he can shot and dish better. Lowry played a similar game to Powell when he first entered the league but had to learn to pass and shoot to get inside.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                  I could be wrong, but I believe Powell is actually the second youngest guy on our summer league team... everyone else other than Bruno is a 1992 birthday or earlier.
                  Powell has upside, far more than Wright. But he isn't NBA ready now. He just looks good against Summer league guys. Another year and he might stick for a long time. He's a second round pick

Comment

Beal has trouble getting the the line and for a player who doesn't avoid contact its because he can't dribble and pass. Defenses can just stop him once he puts it in the floor forcing mid-range shots. can provide a lot of links detailing this
                    Its his role on the team, his is their shooter, and as such his primary responsibility is to spot up and catch kick outs.

Washington doesnt need him to be Wall, they have Wall.

Comment

Washington isn't that good. Sweeping Toronto just made them look better.

Comment

Just means tunnel vision. Powell has a quicker first step then Lowry but KL can play Powell's game better now because he can shot and dish better. Lowry played a similar game to Powell when he first entered the league but had to learn to pass and shoot to get inside.
                        So know he has tunnel vision.

Its no longer he drives with his head down like a linebacker, now he has tunnel vision instead.

He takes what is being given him, I haven't seen him looking off of open men, or ignoring the pass to drive into defenders just to wildly throw up a shot. No.

He has been VERY efficient, and has been doing the right things. And until he shows multiple situations where he distinctly looks off teammates then I will not say he has this head down tunnel vision that you want to make into a point guard.

Comment

• Every player and I mean EVERY PLAYER in the NBA has weaknesses, we can all find stats to make a case for any argument we want to have. We need to look at a player for who they are, not who they are not.

Normal Powell is a high motor, superior athlete, strong defending, attacking, poor 3 point shooting, no teammate offense creating shooting guard. I will be happy with him as a 5th/6th guard on the roster.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Washington isn't that good. Sweeping Toronto just made them look better.
                            they were statistically almost identical to us during the regular season.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                              So know he has tunnel vision.

Its no longer he drives with his head down like a linebacker, now he has tunnel vision instead.

He takes what is being given him, I haven't seen him looking off of open men, or ignoring the pass to drive into defenders just to wildly throw up a shot. No.

He has been VERY efficient, and has been doing the right things. And until he shows multiple situations where he distinctly looks off teammates then I will not say he has this head down tunnel vision that you want to make into a point guard.
                              Tunnel vision and head down means the same thing. Once he goes into drive mode he doesn't see anything but the rim.

Comment

Every player and I mean EVERY PLAYER in the NBA has weaknesses, we can all find stats to make a case for any argument we want to have. We need to look at a player for who they are, not who they are not.

Normal Powell is a high motor, superior athlete, strong defending, attacking, poor 3 point shooting, no teammate offense creating shooting guard. I will be happy with him as a 5th/6th guard on the roster.
                                His range on his shot is getting better, you can tell he has been putting in alot of work on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X