• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• active roster powell!
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      yes, this arguement started because someone claimed Powell is like getting two first rounders. I like Powell but nobody should be expecting him to make the NBA just hoping eventually he does.
      based on what?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        I pretty much guarantee he'll be signing an NBA contract with the Raptors this summer.
        It'll be a typical second round deal unguaranteed for the most part. easy to cut after year 2. Powell so far has shown everybody he is worth a look just like Danial showed he is worth sending to the NBL but expectations have to be lowered

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          I pretty much guarantee he'll be signing an NBA contract with the Raptors this summer.
          I fully expect him to be as well. The whole point is that from a talent level perspective the raptors had Powell ranked in the tier just below Wright and had him as a first round pick.

That's what makes the pick so great for the Raptors. They got what they deemed to be first round talent in the 2nd round. So, they essentially got 2 first round talents for Greivis Vasquez.

Some people might not understand that concept but so be it.

Happy days in Raptors land!
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

It'll be a typical second round deal unguaranteed for the most part. easy to cut after year 2. Powell so far has shown everybody he is worth a look just like Danial showed he is worth sending to the NBL but expectations have to be lowered
            "Easy to cut after year 2" - almost word for word the definition of a first round draft pick's rookie scale contract. Literally has team options in year 3 and 4.

I'd bet on a good bit of guaranteed money for Powell, quite possibly all three years (if they are smart and sign him for 3 years).
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              I fully expect him to be as well. The whole point is that from a talent level perspective the raptors had Powell ranked in the tier just below Wright and had him as a first round pick.

That's what makes the pick so great for the Raptors. They got what they deemed to be first round talent in the 2nd round. So, they essentially got 2 first round talents for Greivis Vasquez.

Some people might not understand that concept but so be it.

Happy days in Raptors land!
              you dont deem 22 yr old draft picks first round talent then send him to D-League for a year. there is too little upside. He is a second round pick being treated like a second round pick.

Comment

you dont deem 22 yr old draft picks first round talent then send him to D-League for a year. there is too little upside. He is a second round pick being treated like a second round pick.
                Admire your persistence. All will be known when the contract (if one is offered) is signed.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Admire your persistence. All will be known when the contract (if one is offered) is signed.
                  and the year plays out. if Powell just sits at the end of the bench its a waste too.

Comment

Has he already been sent to the D-League for a year? Has a single player on the D-League roster been announced? Quit talking out your butt dude.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      Has he already been sent to the D-League for a year? Has a single player on the D-League roster been announced? Quit talking out your butt dude.
                      if a 22 yr old is sent to D-League to try and make the team next season thats a second rounder if he ends up on the NBA team to get minutes this year thats a first rounder. Wright vs Powell. Powell should go down for one full year if he doesnt its a mistake not a sign he should be considered a first round pick.

Comment

yes, this arguement started because someone claimed Powell is like getting two first rounders. I like Powell but nobody should be expecting him to make the NBA just hoping eventually he does.
                        Based on the Raptors draft-board, they drafted 2 of their top-30 ranked players.

It doesn't matter what draft slot was used to pick them.

From the Raptors' perspective, they did essentially draft 2 '1st round picks' (top 30 ranked = top 30 picks = 1st round), even if a mid-2nd round pick was actually used to select one of them.

---

Here's another way to consider it...

I had Winslow ranked in the top-5 on my personal big board going into this year's draft. Therefore, from my perspective, Miami snagged a top-5 pick/player with their #10 pick.

You could argue until you're blue in the face that Winslow wasn't a top-5 pick, and although you'd be right from a technical standpoint (he was drafted #10 and 10 > 5, duh), it wouldn't change where I had him ranked. He was and always will be a top-5 player going into the 2015 draft, from my perspective.

Comment

if a 22 yr old is sent to D-League to try and make the team next season thats a second rounder if he ends up on the NBA team to get minutes this year thats a first rounder. Wright vs Powell. Powell should go down for one full year if he doesnt its a mistake not a sign he should be considered a first round pick.
                          Or is it a sign he's ready to contribute at the NBA level? That's the most logical response. I expect both Wright and Powell to play in the D-League and the NBA this year, and it won't be a mistake, it will be whatever is in their best interest to get minutes and develop.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            Based on the Raptors draft-board, they drafted 2 of their top-30 ranked players.

It doesn't matter what draft slot was used to pick them.

From the Raptors' perspective, they did essentially draft 2 '1st round picks' (top 30 ranked = top 30 picks = 1st round), even if a mid-2nd round pick was actually used to select one of them.

---

Here's another way to consider it...

I had Winslow ranked in the top-5 on my personal big board going into this year's draft. Therefore, from my perspective, Miami snagged a top-5 pick/player with their #10 pick.

You could argue until you're blue in the face that Winslow wasn't a top-5 pick, and although you'd be right from a technical standpoint (he was drafted #10 and 10 > 5, duh), it wouldn't change where I had him ranked. He was and always will be a top-5 player going into the 2015 draft, from my perspective.
                            i think its how the organization views a player. A 19 year old sent to D-league could be considered a first round pick but guys that are older but not ready for the NBA should be considered a second round pick since there is little upside and they arent ready to play or they have no upside but can contribute a little so no point in D-League.

Comment

i think its how the organization views a player. A 19 year old sent to D-league could be considered a first round pick but guys that are older but not ready for the NBA should be considered a second round pick since there is little upside and they arent ready to play or they have no upside but can contribute a little so no point in D-League.
                              So it all comes back to "this is how I think the Raptors should view players, therefore they can't possibly view them differently than that."
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

who says that Powell has no upside?

If he develops a consistant three point shot then he is going to be a high demand type of player.

Tough, Long, Athletic as hell, strong can shoot, can handle the ball and can get out on the break. and most importantly Defend like a devil

Comment

Working...
                                X