• stop trying to make Powell Ranger happen
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Powell Ranger is kinda weak tbh

Comment

• Powell Ranger is a dope nickname 😂

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
          I am the only one who thinks Powell is overrated? You guys are really hyping this guy.
          in other news, ebrian stock drops heavily...

But actually, for a second rounder he is definitely worth hyping up. As long as he wasn't drafted in the lottery he's pretty much worth getting a little pumped for.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
            in other news, ebrian stock drops heavily...

But actually, for a second rounder he is definitely worth hyping up. As long as he wasn't drafted in the lottery he's pretty much worth getting a little pumped for.
            I'm most excited that we found such great value in the second round. Finding second round talent that can contribute in the NBA is mandatory for teams to be successful. look at what the Spurs do in the second round. When you're a winning team you don't get high draft picks so you have to find contributors in the later rounds and have a system to develop them in. That's how the Spurs stay so successful. Outside of Duncan all of the Spurs "stars" were found in the later rounds of the draft. Pretty remarkable.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Good contract. Will be interesting to see how much for.

2 years guaranteed.

3rd year team option.

Nice.
              It's not going to be much more than league minimum.

Two comparisons: the entry contracts for Chandler Parsons and Quincy Acy, who both signed multi-year deals as second-round picks.

Parsons:

2011-12 (league minimum $473K): $684K
              2012-13 (LM $762K): $888K
              2013-14 (LM $884K): $926K

Acy:

2012-13 (LM $473K): $665K
              2013-14 (LM $788K): $788K
              2014-15 (LM $915K): $915K

The next three years, the league minimums for Powell will be

2015-16: $525K
              2016-17: $874K
              2017-18: $1,104K

I would predict that Powell's 2015-16 salary is probably a couple hundred thousand above minimum, his 2016-17 salary is barely above minimum (if that), and the team option year is probably a bit higher than minimum just because it's a team option, but not more than $2m tops in the team option year.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                My guess is pennies by NBA standards. Seemingly good find by MU. The man is 23 and so what you see near the end of this season or the next might be what you get from him for his career.
                Be very curious to see players 3 pt% as they age. I'm guessing most guards improve for a few more years before they start to plateau. Any way to find out?

Edit: Also where did you get his age? Checked a couple of places and they agreed he turned 22 less than 2 months ago.
                Last edited by 3inthekeon; Thu Jul 16, 2015, 01:44 PM.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                  It's not going to be much more than league minimum.

Two comparisons: the entry contracts for Chandler Parsons and Quincy Acy, who both signed multi-year deals as second-round picks.

Parsons:

2011-12 (league minimum $473K): $684K
                  2012-13 (LM $762K): $888K
                  2013-14 (LM $884K): $926K

Acy:

2012-13 (LM $473K): $665K
                  2013-14 (LM $788K): $788K
                  2014-15 (LM $915K): $915K

The next three years, the league minimums for Powell will be

2015-16: $525K
                  2016-17: $874K
                  2017-18: $1,104K

I would predict that Powell's 2015-16 salary is probably a couple hundred thousand above minimum, his 2016-17 salary is barely above minimum (if that), and the team option year is probably a bit higher than minimum just because it's a team option, but not more than $2m tops in the team option year.

I honestly don't know which is why I'll be interested to see how much it is for.

However a couple of hundred thousand above minimum is insignificant to the team but would be huge for Powell.

Won't be long before those details are known.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Be very curious to see players 3 pt% as they age. I'm guessing most guards improve for a few more years before they start to plateau. Any way to find out?

Edit: Also where did you get his age? Checked a couple of places and they agreed he turned 22 less than 2 months ago.
                    Maybe he's 22, but the comment is still valid.

No easy way to check your theory. Basketball Reference is my favourite place for stats. You could play around there.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Maybe he's 22, but the comment is still valid.

No easy way to check your theory. Basketball Reference is my favourite place for stats. You could play around there.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
                      I tried on BBref, can't figure out how to do it. Do know Lowry shot 27% his age 23 season which was also his career mark to that point, then shot between 36% and 38% the next 4 years. Vasquez was a senior sign and his 3 pt% have kept improving.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3pt shooting should be one of easiest skills to add or improve upon, in general.

Comment

• I watched two out of three games. He basically played the same way he did in UCLA, so I guess I find the hype surprising.

Don't me wrong I'm not unhappy that a 2nd round pick of the Raptors has actually done well for a change. It doesn't hurt that Powell has beasted through the 3 games so far, but I just think the hype is a bit overboard. In Summer League no one is really playing defense except for the type that draws oohs and aahs from the crowd.

If anything at best I'm hoping this hype will light a fire under Terrence Ross to get him going.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

• What hype is there?

Is there anyone who thinks he could be more than a rotational player or possibly a starter on a really, really talented team in a Tony Allen-type role?

Is that hype?

For a 2nd round pick, #46, that would be a phenomenal return and hence the excitement - at least from me.

Comment

I watched two out of three games. He basically played the same way he did in UCLA, so I guess I find the hype surprising.

Don't me wrong I'm not unhappy that a 2nd round pick of the Raptors has actually done well for a change. It doesn't hurt that Powell has beasted through the 3 games so far, but I just think the hype is a bit overboard. In Summer League no one is really playing defense except for the type that draws oohs and aahs from the crowd.

If anything at best I'm hoping this hype will light a fire under Terrence Ross to get him going.
                              There's not a whole lot else to talk about this time of year.

Comment

I watched two out of three games. He basically played the same way he did in UCLA, so I guess I find the hype surprising.

Your too late, the Stormin' Norman hype train has already left the station!
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X