Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty sure all 450 players spent some time with their significant others during allstar break.
    Or whatever others they may be cheating on their partners with

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      I really don't want Horford on a max. And I don't want to trade JV unless it's for a true superstar.

Horford is 30. You really want to be paying an undersized big man 35+ million when he's 35 years old?
      Lowry is 30 and undersized as well. Lets not act like players production declines that dramatically. Look at Pau, Tim, Dirk.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Seriously doubt it. And Boogie makes no sense if you are packaging both, that's too much salary going out. If you are packaging both (and you aren't), it's for a max free agent sign and trade, or a player on a max deal already, like Bosh or Love.

Can't see them moving both those guys when they are locked in to reasonable long term deals. Ross, sure. Or JV, if a monster is available. Not both. Certainly not in the same deal.
        could take back another player or two to make the salaries work, no? nonetheless, I fear boogie. He's an upgrade for sure but I question whether his character would benefit the team.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Lowry is 30 and undersized as well. Lets not act like players production declines that dramatically. Look at Pau, Tim, Dirk.
          Pau, Tim, Dirk are all-time greats, generational players. Horford is not.

Production does decline post-30. I'm reluctant to give Lowry a long-term deal next summer for the exact same reason, by the way.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

That's literally all you know is that Ross spent some time with Amber Rose. You don't know how much time, or how much he spent in the gym. You're using your personal bias to speculate, and this ridiculous obsession some Raptors fans have with the idea that Amber Rose is ruining Terrence Ross.
            What personal bias? Anyone that's followed Ross over the past years knows he doesn't have the best work ethic. He tried to workout with DD in the summer he couldn't handle it. Now Norman is going to work with DD this summer. I can pretty much bet money it won't be the scenario for Powell. The kid just wants it more. You can see it in his play and his eyes. Work ethic and confidence is what separates players.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

What personal bias? Anyone that's followed Ross over the past years knows he doesn't have the best work ethic. He tried to workout with DD in the summer he couldn't handle it. Now Norman is going to work with DD this summer. I can pretty much bet money it won't be the scenario for Powell. The kid just wants it more. You can see it in his play and his eyes. Work ethic and confidence is what separates players.
              http://fansided.com/2014/09/20/toron...-james-harden/

You're right, Ross doesn't work out with other big name pros at all during the summers.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/ross-put-...ortland-pro-am

He totally just takes the entire summer off instead of working on his game.

https://twitter.com/jonesonthenba/st...05739877781505

This totally couldn't be about you personally not liking Ross.

Comment

http://fansided.com/2014/09/20/toron...-james-harden/

You're right, Ross doesn't work out with other big name pros at all during the summers.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/ross-put-...ortland-pro-am

He totally just takes the entire summer off instead of working on his game.

https://twitter.com/jonesonthenba/st...05739877781505

This totally couldn't be about you personally not liking Ross.
                I wouldn't except you to understand. This matter has nothing to do with number/advance stats. Powell wants to be really good. You can tell that. Ross is OK with being adequate. Nothing wrong with that. I just like players that want to be best. Powell got some DD in him. Glad DD taking him under his wing.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I wouldn't except you to understand. This matter has nothing to do with number/advance stats. Powell wants to be really good. You can tell that. Ross is OK with being adequate. Nothing wrong with that. I just like players that want to be best. Powell got some DD in him. Glad DD taking him under his wing.
                  You don't make it to the NBA by being 'OK with being adequate'. When people dismiss stats it's to confirm personal bias. Members of our coaching and training staff have spoken about Ross' work ethic being very good. So either you think you know more than our staff, or you just have a personal bias.

Comment

Ross spent it with Amber Rose in Toronto.

Powell went home to work on his jump shot
                    There's a few guys around here that should take breaks from basketball to talk to women once in awhile too
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Honestly all Powell needs to do is get a good 3 point shot and he would already be better than Ross. To me that says a lot because Ross has been in the league 4 years now. I think the fact that Powell in such a short space of time already has improved his 3 point shot to the level he has says it all. Ross still can't even dribble without turning it over lol. He still can't even get to the basket consistently. I'm not saying Ross doesn't put in work but from the things I'm hearing he is not on Powell's level of work ethic. It's just like DD. A lot of guys on our team put in work but not on Demar's level. And the joke is Powell already has WAY more natural talent that Demar ever had coming in so if he develops Demar's level of work ethic he really will be something to recon with. The fact that Powell has been saying Demar and Kyle have both really gravitated to him and are really helping him along also says a lot. You never heard that kind of thing about Ross. What we have heard is Ross has finally developed these shooting drills that Jama created for him and that was a big part of his development this year. Clearly he wasn't putting in that same level of work until this year. If Jama didn't take him under his wing who knows what would have happened to Ross this year. Probably a lot of the same old.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• So... let me get this straight. When we have a great offensive game without DeMar, it's because it's 'just the bucks' and it doesn't mean anything because it's one game sample size.

But, when Powell has his best game as a pro, 6/15 from the floor for 17 points, he's an elite offensive talent that immediately means he's better than Ross?

I like Powell, but how about some perspective here guys.

Comment

• Not sure why it always has to be a player vs. player debate in Raptorland. Both Ross and Powell can be contributors on a good team in different ways and, for now, Powell is a really nice deep rotation player who can backfill for an injured Carroll along with JJ. It's a great situation for Toronto. Who knows what the offseason will bring in terms of player movement? Even if both Ross and Powell are back, JJ won't be and there will be a role for Powell if he can seize it.

Both players have pros and cons but I don't see the need to denigrate one to build up the other.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            Not sure why it always has to be a player vs. player debate in Raptorland. Both Ross and Powell can be contributors on a good team in different ways and, for now, Powell is a really nice deep rotation player who can backfill for an injured Carroll along with JJ. It's a great situation for Toronto. Who knows what the offseason will bring in terms of player movement? Even if both Ross and Powell are back, JJ won't be and there will be a role for Powell if he can seize it.

Both players have pros and cons but I don't see the need to denigrate one to build up the other.
                            Agree completely. People have this need for one player being good meaning another is bad. It's the same thing as the Bismack versus JV debate. It's better for us to have more good assets.

Comment

When people dismiss stats it's to confirm personal bias.
                              That's rich. I don't have a horse in this Amber Rose/Ross race, but you really should take a look at yourself in the mirror and see the same issue with the way you employ stats to support your own personal biases... It's human nature, so it's not even really a criticism, but let's try to be realistic here. Most people using stats on this forum to support an argument are not seeing the full picture and seem to have a pretty high degree of self-confidence about their "expertise" with analytics. Confirmation bias and overconfidence = rampant, and don't exactly contribute to rational discussion.

I mean, I actually believe that there are at least a few people posting here regularly who really, truly believe they could coach and/or GM this team better than Casey and Ujiri, starting tomorrow, with no background or experience, based on some combination of watching basketball on TV and/or playing amateur basketball at some minor level. And that's just delusional. You've got to have some sense of knowing what you don't know, and that seems to be lacking with a lot of folks...
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• I wouldn't say he's better than Ross already. They definitely have different personalities on the court. Powell is a bulldog and has that Westbrook/Lowry mindset. I'm just hoping he can improve from here or he'll just be another Bayless (high drive chucker). No one wants that.

If he can get somewhere in between those three examples I would say Ross is expendable. Right now Ross just has way more talent than this kid and is only 2 years older. Time will tell I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X