Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    a good comparison for Powell is Demar Derozan with better D.
    Not at all fair to DeMar. Powell's defense is better, but DeMar is leagues ahead of him offensively as a shot creator and ball handler.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Doesn't have the size. I say more explosive Avery Bradley.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

No, a good comparison for Powell is Tony Allen.

Comment

• Seth Partnow offering some wisdom on player comparisons and how they can make servicable players hated.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I don't think a more explosive Avery Bradley is ridiculous.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
              I wish I could pull college shot charts for Powell, because in the D-League and in the NBA so far, there's just no sample size for him on midrange or 3pt attempts. What there is says that he's alright from the corners, but not great above the break, which is why I made the James Johnson comparison.
              I just don't like the comparison because JJ's shot has flat out always been broken. It's ugly and has always been inconsistent.

Powell isn't exactly picturesque, but his form is pretty sound. A lot more hope he can become a consistent shooter than I would ever have for JJ.

Comment

Brian Kopp from Catapult Sports: “Data is not meant to flip things on their head.” Instead, its supposed to “reinforce things you already know.”

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/14/slo...-shane-battier

From the Sloan Sports Conference.
                thats literally the definition of confirmation bias.

its akin to demar of 2-3 seasons ago where he'd have a ton of terrible games but then once in a while he has a good game, demar supporters get all "i told you so!"

Comment

• [QUOTE=white men can't jump;606001]I just don't like the comparison because JJ's shot has flat out always been broken. It's ugly and has always been inconsistent.

Powell isn't exactly picturesque, but his form is pretty sound. A lot more hope he can become a consistent shooter than I would ever have for JJ.[/QUOT

Powell by no means is a finished product and we haven't seen enough of him to really say who he is going to turn out like. I love that he's getting so much time in D-League because he really gets to work on his craft and do things he would never be allowed to in an NBA game (at this point in his career).

I feel like defence first players are more likely to develop their offence and other parts of their game better than guys whom lack that intensity and drive to play D. It's a mentality for them to be hard workers.

Comment

• Oh, and if I was going to make a comparison for Powell, even though I haven't seen much of him, I would go with Raja Bell.

Comment

• I've got an odd one for Norman.

I'm seeing him as a "Westbrook-Light". He'll never be up at Russ's level, but he plays a very similar game.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• He's a little bit like Tony Allen.

Powell is a little bit better offensively than Allen. Better jump shot. Allen to this day still can't shoot. Allen is a hell of a defender though. As good as Powell is defensively, he's no Tony Allen.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Player comparisons are trashy...Raptors nation has been doing it for years with about 0% success. Stop it.

Norman Powell is Norman Powell, and will play as Norman Powell does, because he is who Norman Powell is.

What we can control is how we develop a 6'4" guard who has a 6'11" wingspan. That means we het him to become an elite defender first who can hit shots...and slowly work him into a larger role within the offense. Ala what the Spurs did with Kwai. Who cares who he plays like?

Comment

That's literally all you know is that Ross spent some time with Amber Rose. You don't know how much time, or how much he spent in the gym. You're using your personal bias to speculate, and this ridiculous obsession some Raptors fans have with the idea that Amber Rose is ruining Terrence Ross.
                            Gotta agree here. Celebrities only show you a small piece of their lives. For all we know Ross is in the gym 8 hours a day and then hanging with Amber late at night. You can't just assume he spends his whole day drooling over Amber Rose based off some photos.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                              That's rich. I don't have a horse in this Amber Rose/Ross race, but you really should take a look at yourself in the mirror and see the same issue with the way you employ stats to support your own personal biases... It's human nature, so it's not even really a criticism, but let's try to be realistic here. Most people using stats on this forum to support an argument are not seeing the full picture and seem to have a pretty high degree of self-confidence about their "expertise" with analytics. Confirmation bias and overconfidence = rampant, and don't exactly contribute to rational discussion.

I mean, I actually believe that there are at least a few people posting here regularly who really, truly believe they could coach and/or GM this team better than Casey and Ujiri, starting tomorrow, with no background or experience, based on some combination of watching basketball on TV and/or playing amateur basketball at some minor level. And that's just delusional. You've got to have some sense of knowing what you don't know, and that seems to be lacking with a lot of folks...
                              Lots of very valid points here. A little harsh though...

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                Basically what Norman has showed us...is that playing young guys has BENEFITS

Therefore, for the remainder of the year I would like to experiment with him using all of James Johnsons minutes

Also, give Delon wright, Bruno and Bebe minutes as we rest players (and JV injured) down the stretch to keep them hunger and give them the needed experience of NBA speed.

I dont think that NP playing well means we should trade Ross, who somewhere along the line has developed the work ethic of Bargnani whilst working hard at the gym...if thats possible
                                I think his time in the d league has helped him play productively

Comment

Working...
                                X