Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I don't think we'd be a lotto team without him, but to say he has no impact on winning is ridiculous.

8th in the NBA in scoring, 13th in win shares, >2700 minutes for the 5th best team record-wise in the NBA. He has more win shares than Paul George and Jimmy Butler. I'm not saying that he's better than either guy, but shouldn't that at least tell you he's doing something right?

You're so anchored to an outdated view of Demar it's keeping you from seeing that he does help this team. Maybe not at a true max level like a KD or a LeBron, but he does have an impact on winning.

If it was so easy to do what he's been doing, everybody would be doing it.
    At work and dont have tons of time to go in detail on this but my opinion is far from out-dated. When I have some free time I'll explain

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      I don't think we'd be a lotto team without him, but to say he has no impact on winning is ridiculous.

8th in the NBA in scoring, 13th in win shares, >2700 minutes for the 5th best team record-wise in the NBA. He has more win shares than Paul George and Jimmy Butler. I'm not saying that he's better than either guy, but shouldn't that at least tell you he's doing something right?

You're so anchored to an outdated view of Demar it's keeping you from seeing that he does help this team. Maybe not at a true max level like a KD or a LeBron, but he does have an impact on winning.

If it was so easy to do what he's been doing, everybody would be doing it.
      KD and Lebron are beyond max level, they should get paid a lot more but can't because of the CBA. DD is pretty much a true max level guy. I think a lot of people get caught up on that and start with the presumption that whatever KD and Lebron are being paid is appropriate for a player that good, then work their way down and get up in arms when DD could potentially be making the same. The reality is KD and Lebron and Curry and Westbrook, these guys are all underpaid relative to their value on the court, because the CBA puts a cap on what you can pay them.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        KD and Lebron are beyond max level, they should get paid a lot more but can't because of the CBA. DD is pretty much a true max level guy. I think a lot of people get caught up on that and start with the presumption that whatever KD and Lebron are being paid is appropriate for a player that good, then work their way down and get up in arms when DD could potentially be making the same. The reality is KD and Lebron and Curry and Westbrook, these guys are all underpaid relative to their value on the court, because the CBA puts a cap on what you can pay them.
        There was a nice article on that subject last off-season trying to quantify that for free agent signings. They projected that CoJo and Biyombo would be vastly underpaid and DeMarre Carroll would be overpaid this season.

No Matter How Much They Make, The Best Players In The NBA Are Vastly Underpaid
        http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...tly-underpaid/

Comment

• To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Is Norman a more athletic Raja Bell?
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• It's interesting to try and project where Powell is going to end up, ranking wise, as an NBA player.

Typically players continue to improve until they hit 25-26. Wages of Win
              However time int he league is also a factor. reddit

These were the first two results for a search I did on Google "when do nba players hit their prime". Not scientific, but interesting.

I could see Powell improving for a couple of years, assuming he looks after his health. The "players age like milk" contention is from the book "Stumbling on Wins" which was written in 2010, which is like 1950 in professional sports physical therapy years. I think top athletes are in a position these days to add a full year to their playing prime simply because of improved care and treatment, not to mention better physical maintenance regimens.

Glad for Powell and glad for the Raps to have him on their roster. Not sure where I would put him rank wise, in the NBA in a couple of years. But top 50 certainly doesn't look like a stretch, and top 15 for his position?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                It's interesting to try and project where Powell is going to end up, ranking wise, as an NBA player.

Typically players continue to improve until they hit 25-26. Wages of Win
                However time int he league is also a factor. reddit

These were the first two results for a search I did on Google "when do nba players hit their prime". Not scientific, but interesting.

I could see Powell improving for a couple of years, assuming he looks after his health. The "players age like milk" contention is from the book "Stumbling on Wins" which was written in 2010, which is like 1950 in professional sports physical therapy years. I think top athletes are in a position these days to add a full year to their playing prime simply because of improved care and treatment, not to mention better physical maintenance regimens.

Glad for Powell and glad for the Raps to have him on their roster. Not sure where I would put him rank wise, in the NBA in a couple of years. But top 50 certainly doesn't look like a stretch, and top 15 for his position?
                One problem with the reddit link. He only chose from 'Hall of famers, MVPs and current superstars'. Those players tend to, by nature, by atypical.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

this seems overly optimistic to me. powell has been a great surprise but lets not go from no expectations to high expectations. remember when ross scored 50+. he has looked like he belongs in the nba but no one has been planning for his game. if he gets time in the playoffs we will see how he looks when the other team is game planning him.

he does look like he is going to be a fantastic fast break player. need a much longer sustained 3pt shot %. he has been very good. depending on the pick from new york, norman and a 1st for vasquez might end up being masai's best trade.

Comment

• Powell has definitely earned a role off the bench next year - which means Ross probably gets supplanted, as the wing is loaded on this team.

But let's wait for a bigger sample before we start projecting a ceiling.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      this seems overly optimistic to me. powell has been a great surprise but lets not go from no expectations to high expectations. remember when ross scored 50+. he has looked like he belongs in the nba but no one has been planning for his game. if he gets time in the playoffs we will see how he looks when the other team is game planning him.

he does look like he is going to be a fantastic fast break player. need a much longer sustained 3pt shot %. he has been very good. depending on the pick from new york, norman and a 1st for vasquez might end up being masai's best trade.
                      I think this is more important than most people realize. Teams aren't really scouting Norm yet. It's why a lot of players slow down in their sophomore years, because opposing coaches know what they are and have a plan to deal with them.

Not saying Norm will slow down, but it's worth considering that he might.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                        I think this is more important than most people realize. Teams aren't really scouting Norm yet. It's why a lot of players slow down in their sophomore years, because opposing coaches know what they are and have a plan to deal with them.

Not saying Norm will slow down, but it's worth considering that he might.
                        Is this true though? Why wouldn't teams be scouting Norm, at least lately, when he's started and played substantial minutes for some time now? Maybe they don't have all his tendencies and the most effective way of shutting him down, but teams break down a lot more opponent game film that your assertion would make it seem.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Norman went to the line 19 times !?!?!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                            Norman went to the line 19 times !?!?!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yup. Most for a rookie this year and most for a rookie in raps history.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              Is this true though? Why wouldn't teams be scouting Norm, at least lately, when he's started and played substantial minutes for some time now? Maybe they don't have all his tendencies and the most effective way of shutting him down, but teams break down a lot more opponent game film that your assertion would make it seem.
                              I'm sure there's scouting done on Powell but considering that he basically played demar's role in this game and it wasn't announced that kyle and demar won't be playing until a bit before the game started, I think it makes sense they weren't ready for him.
                              Plus it kind of felt like Indy was playing as if they thought there was no way they could lose this game with our top two guys resting.
                              We'll see how well they scout him if we face them in the first round.

Comment

• Ross's 3pt. shooting will be missed but I can't say much else would be. We have Powell, Wright, and Joseph to cover his minutes. 11 mil a year would bolster the PF position

Comment

Working...
                                X