Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Retaining DD handicaps the team for another 2 years as we wont be able to trade him right away AND not have some bad contracts coming back...killing our flexibility. You let him walk, or you decide he is the guy who can take you to the Chip'

Honestly, Powell has taken the torch from DD as far as Im concerned. He wont put up better individual offensive stats, but his overall impact due to his defense will be better.
    This is a terrible year for Masai to have to make the decision. Too many teams with tons of cap space. Flexibility may mean shit.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      KL/Pow/DD/DC/JV

I think that will be the starting line up next year. Raptors wanted to do the same with Matthews but, now we got Powell. Who has some similarities with Mathews. Funny how things turnout lol.

Might see that line up if we make it to the second round and play Miami.
      Better yet, KL/Pow/DC/Alhor/JV

That's my dream.

Comment

KL/Pow/DD/DC/JV

I think that will be the starting line up next year. Raptors wanted to do the same with Matthews but, now we got Powell. Who has some similarities with Mathews. Funny how things turnout lol.

Might see that line up if we make it to the second round and play Miami.
        If DeRozan gets torched by SGs, I shudder to think about him regularly matching up with SFs. Remember, there's a reason Ross was forced into the starting SF role last season.

I'd much rather see a Lowry / Powell / Carroll / new PF / Valanciunas starting lineup, with Joseph/Ross/Patterson off the bench. Carroll, Powell and Ross all provide fantastic size, defense and perimeter shooting from the wing positions.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Retaining DD handicaps the team for another 2 years as we wont be able to trade him right away AND not have some bad contracts coming back...killing our flexibility. You let him walk, or you decide he is the guy who can take you to the Chip'

Honestly, Powell has taken the torch from DD as far as Im concerned. He wont put up better individual offensive stats, but his overall impact due to his defense will be better.
          I think Masai has shown an uncanny ability to move all kinds of contracts and receive a beneficial return. I also think that retaining your all star free agent sends a strong positive message as it is something this organization has never been able to do. Not to mention that Lowry will most likely not be happy knowing we let DD walk.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
            I think Masai has shown an uncanny ability to move all kinds of contracts and receive a beneficial return. I also think that retaining your all star free agent sends a strong positive message as it is something this organization has never been able to do. Not to mention that Lowry will most likely not be happy knowing we let DD walk.
            USA media would have a field day if Raps lost another All-star. Adding to the perception that players don't want to play here.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

USA media would have a field day if Raps lost another All-star. Adding to the perception that players don't want to play here.
              That perception is literally applied to every team that isn't in a major media hub like city; it's not exclusive to the Raptors.

Especially since the major players that the Raptors have lost actually had literally nothing to do with the city or country. Two left for issues with how the organization was running things. One left because he wanted his own team. One left to play with the best player on the planet.

The PLAYERS themselves don't care about perception and that's all that matters. They care about either money or winning. Sometimes both.
              Last edited by Just Is; Wed Apr 20, 2016, 12:36 PM.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                That perception is literally applied to every team that isn't in a major media hub like city; it's not exclusive to the Raptors.

Especially since the major players that the Raptors have lost actually had literally nothing to do with the city or country. Two left for issues with how the organization was running things. One left because he wanted his own team. One left to play with the best player on the planet.

The PLAYERS themselves don't care about perception and that's all that matters.
                Toronto isn't a small market.

We know the history but, to the rest of the NBA its one more All-star that doesn't wants to play for Toronto.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It doesn't matter.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

We know the history but, to the rest of the NBA its one more All-star that doesn't wants to play for Toronto.
                    Except the perception in the media is that DeMar isn't a max-worthy star anyways.

Partnow, Moore, Duncan have all tweeted that they wouldn't give DeMar the max this summer. So if Toronto doesn't sign a guy to the max who isn't worth it, that's not a terrible move. That's a savvy move, the type Masai is known for.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I never said Toronto was a small market.

I said that it wasn't a major media hub (relative to the NBA). Specifically; it isn't New York, LA or Miami. You can maybe include Chicago there. The cities that pretty much make loud enough noise often enough that people start to believe them.

Specifically in regards to the bold; that's only applicable if an offer was given and not accepted. If no offer was given or a better financial offer is given an exception; that isn't the narrative.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post

The PLAYERS themselves don't care about perception and that's all that matters. They care about either money or winning. Sometimes both.
                        Yet the story being pushed still isn't "the raptors had a bad organization", the story is still "cold weather, different country, bad franchise history."

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          Except the perception in the media is that DeMar isn't a max-worthy star anyways.

Partnow, Moore, Duncan have all tweeted that they wouldn't give DeMar the max this summer. So if Toronto doesn't sign a guy to the max who isn't worth it, that's not a terrible move. That's a savvy move, the type Masai is known for.
                          DD will get the Max. That ship has already sailed. Pretty much everyone getting Max isn't a Max type player.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

DD will get the Max. That ship has already sailed. Pretty much everyone getting Max isn't a Max type player.
                            But that's it. Signing players to the max who aren't worth it is how you don't win championships. Do you realize how few players have ever won championships while being one of the top paid players in the league? It's a very, very small list, and basically top 50 all-time NBA players only.

So if DD's getting the max, better it's somewhere else than here.
                            Last edited by Barolt; Wed Apr 20, 2016, 12:47 PM.
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Twitter is the hub of reactionary behaviour. Honestly if we're talking about attracting free agents I really doubt any free agent would think "Masai is so savvy, I wanna play for his organization." All stars attract other all stars and even though I might think that Powell will be a special player, I still think that a free agent would be more enticed to play with Lowry and Derozan, over Lowry and some kid named Powell.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                                Twitter is the hub of reactionary behaviour. Honestly if we're talking about attracting free agents I really doubt any free agent would think "Masai is so savvy, I wanna play for his organization." All stars attract other all stars and even though I might think that Powell will be a special player, I still think that a free agent would be more enticed to play with Lowry and Derozan, over Lowry and some kid named Powell.
                                And you don't hope to attract other free agents by signing a player who doesn't deserve it with the max.

Comment

Working...
                                X