Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    100% agree. Leo spends all his time telling you what just happened on the last play in a very obvious + condescending "I told you so" kind of way. It's really irritating. I just saw the fucking play with my own eyes Leo, you're the colour guy - please contribute something interesting to the conversation. If I were Sammy D, I would have gotten off that bus, too. He was probably just annoyed af listening to Leo talk.

I don't mind Jack + Matt, Jack is just having fun and it's fine.

Also at least the Toronto guys are not the massive homers that about a third of broadcast teams seem to be. It could be worse.

I have no interest in anything in the future for VC. That day is done.
    Who is Sammy d, what bus, and why did he get off?
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Leo's issue for me is that he has a hard time laughing at himself. He doesn't embrace the jokes. It's like he's offended every time Matt brings up his age, or inconsequential NBA career, and it turns into awkward bickering.

But anyways, how 'bout that Norm Powell kid, eh?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Is he a cross between Sam Mitchell and MGD?
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          100% agree. Leo spends all his time telling you what just happened on the last play in a very obvious + condescending "I told you so" kind of way. It's really irritating. I just saw the fucking play with my own eyes Leo, you're the colour guy - please contribute something interesting to the conversation. If I were Sammy D, I would have gotten off that bus, too. He was probably just annoyed af listening to Leo talk.
          I don't think Leo ever successfully transitioned from that "basketball is new to Canada, so better teach the audience the sport" early days to now. Plus the fact that he's coached on so many levels, he probably doesn't know how to talk about the game without teaching a lesson of some kind.

Comment

lol

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...o_rautins.html
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              But anyways, how 'bout that Norm Powell kid, eh?
              Ha, I don't think my position on Powell will change all year - he looks great, he's going to be good, but he's not as arrived yet as some are suggesting. In b2b series last spring he went from looking great against PG to having his inexperience exploited by Wade to an almost embarrassing degree. He was almost unplayable against Wade.

It's still Carroll + Ross time right now, the Raps need them at their best. Powell's got next and will fill in very nicely here and there in the meantime.

Comment

• I think that Powell has arrived, but that doesn't mean he needs a set number of minutes. The team's playing great, he's playing great as our x-factor/10th man - that's bout it.

People get way too caught up in minutes. Thankfully Norm doesn't.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  I think that Powell has arrived, but that doesn't mean he needs a set number of minutes. The team's playing great, he's playing great as our x-factor/10th man - that's bout it.

People get way too caught up in minutes. Thankfully Norm doesn't.
                  I'm of the opinion that Masai and dwane of had some back room meetings with powell that his time will come, if not this year then forsure next year. That's why he's content. These players meetings happen often to keep their head on straight and I'm sure they've indicated hes a huge part of future plans, just understand there is a current logjam that seniority finds him as the odd man out of

Comment

I'm of the opinion that Masai and dwane of had some back room meetings with powell that his time will come, if not this year then forsure next year. That's why he's content. These players meetings happen often to keep their head on straight and I'm sure they've indicated hes a huge part of future plans, just understand there is a current logjam that seniority finds him as the odd man out of
                    I sure as hell hope so...it hurt a little to lose Biz but I would be beside myself if we lost Norm. Just thinking of the player he may become in 3-4 years when he's closer to DeMar's age is scary. He turned himself from a bad 3pt shooter to a knockdown 3pt shooter in just a year. Not that he's at the level of Kawhi but the elite defence and turning himself into a good shooter is very reminiscent. But like him, he is trying to figure out how to be a go to scorer and that's the beauty of him being able to learn from Kyle and DeMar.

I can already see him trying to incorporate some of DeMar's footwork and tricks into his arsenal. Given his crazy work ethic and that he's already proved that he can make fairly big leaps in improvement (again his shooting), with his combination of speed and power (which will likely increase as well as he grows more into his prime) and work ethic, he is going to be a damn good player. Sometimes I feel like we take him for granted just because of where he was picked in the draft but honestly he has impressed me a lot more than guys like Winslow, Henzonja etc....outside of maybe 5 guys in his draft (KAT, Porz, Russell, Booker, Turner) I'm not sure who else I would have taken ahead of him and that's a stacked group of players imo. Powell has top 10 potential but for now remains our best kept secret.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                      I sure as hell hope so...it hurt a little to lose Biz but I would be beside myself if we lost Norm. Just thinking of the player he may become in 3-4 years when he's closer to DeMar's age is scary. He turned himself from a bad 3pt shooter to a knockdown 3pt shooter in just a year. Not that he's at the level of Kawhi but the elite defence and turning himself into a good shooter is very reminiscent. But like him, he is trying to figure out how to be a go to scorer and that's the beauty of him being able to learn from Kyle and DeMar.

I can already see him trying to incorporate some of DeMar's footwork and tricks into his arsenal. Given his crazy work ethic and that he's already proved that he can make fairly big leaps in improvement (again his shooting), with his combination of speed and power (which will likely increase as well as he grows more into his prime) and work ethic, he is going to be a damn good player. Sometimes I feel like we take him for granted just because of where he was picked in the draft but honestly he has impressed me a lot more than guys like Winslow, Henzonja etc....outside of maybe 5 guys in his draft (KAT, Porz, Russell, Booker, Turner) I'm not sure who else I would have taken ahead of him and that's a stacked group of players imo. Powell has top 10 potential but for now remains our best kept secret.
                      Couldnt agree more. I love the kid. The only asset he seems to truly lack is height, but the sky is the limit. In comparing 2nd rounders and potential, he could be guard/small forward draymond green if unleashed properly.

Comment

Couldnt agree more. I love the kid. The only asset he seems to truly lack is height, but the sky is the limit. In comparing 2nd rounders and potential, he could be guard/small forward draymond green if unleashed properly.
                        And he's still 1,93

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          And he's still 1,93
                          He's 1.93 years old?! Isn't there a rule in the NBA against drafting infants?
                          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                            He's 1.93 years old?! Isn't there a rule in the NBA against drafting infants?
                            6'4''

Comment

The real "problem" (if it ever comes to that) isn't that Carroll and Ross are ahead of him, it's that he really needs to be playing SG and DeMar's ahead of him. You can find a good amount of minutes for him at the 3 and backup 2, but if he maxes out his potential he should really be a starting SG.

Comment

• The thing about it too is I think back 4 or so years ago to when DeMar was the same age...he himself was just starting to show signs of becoming a really good player. He wasnt anywhere near as refined, CRAFTY and smart on the court. He was so much more reliant on his athleticism to force his opponent to foul him and his ballhandling and feel for the game seem so much more rudimentary.

Demar has really made some huge strides when you really look how damn good he has gotten at the mid range with being able to handle in the pocket, all the tricks and combinations of moves he has put together, he looks damn near unstoppable (when not guarded by longer wings)...but really its funny because all those small improvements have made him such a better player than he once was.

Now think what that could look like if Norm followed a similar path when given his work ethic (not to mention 3pt shot) imo actually seems quite likely....that is truly a scary player

Comment

Working...
                                X