Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were the biggest issues of the Raptors this past season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS10 wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet, but what were some of the things that really stuck for you as watching the Raptors play this past season? What were some of the things that needed imminent fixing that didn't happen? What were some of the things you couldn't stand?

I know there are too many issues to really address them all but some loomed out larger than others.

The most obvious one was our coaching issue of Casey. Him not adapting and countering with his own strategy to the other team's strategy. His favouritism of Demar and Casey giving Demar superstar treatment although he is far from anything that resembles a superstar. This favouritism caused a chasm in our team chemistry. His choice to prioritize winning over team chemistry and player development was also a problem.

Lack of utilization of our younger players. We barely saw Bebe or Bruno on the court but they were not really suppose to be effective players. However guys like JV and Ross were suppose to develop further than what we saw this past year and this didn't happen but this is tied to coaching again. Also not enough playing time and touches given to them to allow for them to develop their game.

Then there was the defensive strategy and our lack of defensive players. Our defensive strategy of constantly switching and not having enough athletic players to properly cover the other team was a thing. Especially watching the lumbering JV run out to the 3 point line to contest the 3 point shot was a sign that this wasn't the best way to cover the opposition's offence.

On the flip side, the lack of ball movement on the offensive end in the 2nd half of the season killed our team chemistry and trickled down to our player's half effort on defence. Too many bad possessions to remember. Stagnant plays of running down the clock for a contested shot. Not enough good plays to get our players high percentage shots. Too much depending on one guy to bail us out on a miraculous shot.

Our "all-stars" were also plagued with injuries. Derozan being hurt for part of the season and coming back at the end to damage the chemistry. I think Lowry missed a couple of games as well which hurt our team's fortunes. I felt this was minor though.

There are many others that I missed but feel free to discuss them.
    BS, the biggest issue with the team this season was simple: we were missing shots we normally make.
    We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      You forgot

clock management
      defensive scheme
      adjusting scheme/philosophy to fit roster
      not throwing players under the bus

Honestly, hard to find something that Casey did well.
      i literally just woke up leave me alone
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        i literally just woke up leave me alone
        hahaha, no way man. Remember when Casey forgot to foul and basically let the clock run out....good times.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Defense and Rebounding
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

hahaha, no way man. Remember when Casey forgot to foul and basically let the clock run out....good times.
            living in a state of terror at the end of completely winnable games is what i'll always remember with Casey
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

That was in Charlotte and I remember vividly cause I was yelling at the TV so loud my bulldog puppy got scared and peed on the floor. They then did virtually the same thing only a few games later at home (I can't remember who it was against).

After that, the end of game management and timeout usage actually got a lot better for the rest of 2013/14 (I assume the staff was sufficiently embarrassed). This team was actually really, really good in 4th quarters last season. Then, this year, it seemed like there was some preparation slippage back into old habits.

Comment

Is it possible that Casey has early onset dementia, and we're all hating a disabled person?

This is the only way I make sense of the world.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  That was in Charlotte and I remember vividly cause I was yelling at the TV so loud my bulldog puppy got scared and peed on the floor. They then did virtually the same thing only a few games later at home (I can't remember who it was against).

After that, the end of game management and timeout usage actually got a lot better for the rest of 2013/14 (I assume the staff was sufficiently embarrassed). This team was actually really, really good in 4th quarters last season. Then, this year, it seemed like there was some preparation slippage back into old habits.
                  Your puppy nicely summarized most fans reaction to Casey's coaching.

Don't forget the whole #WeTheFourth thing that lasted what, 3 weeks?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Is it possible that Casey has early onset dementia, and we're all hating a disabled person?

This is the only way I make sense of the world.
                    Maybe a medical disability is the only reason Masai couldn't fire him.

Comment

You forgot

clock management
                      defensive scheme
                      adjusting scheme/philosophy to fit roster
                      not throwing players under the bus

Honestly, hard to find something that Casey did well.
                      Wear a hat well? - nope
                      Speak clearly? - nope
                      Blow MLSE? - apparently it was worth 4 mil so he must be good at that...

Basketball related? - nothing

Comment

I know this will sound like a cop out but most of the actual biggest issues of the last season come back to Dwane Casey.
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                          I know this will sound like a cop out but most of the actual biggest issues of the last season come back to Dwane Casey.
                          The only one that really isn't on Casey and is on the players is laziness.

Comment

Rebounding - The Raps were a good rebounding team 2 years ago, the bigs were hustling, boxing out, and a missed opponent shot is almost always a defensive rebound. The only times I saw them struggle on the boards were against Miami and the Brooklyn playoff series - although they struggled, but they weren't destroyed like they were this past season. Other than JV, all the other bigs seem to just watch the ball go long for Lowry and Demar to catch. I have a theory that they do this to help Lowry get triple dubs like Jason Kidd. We need to give JV help inside. We need a Tristan Thompson type of player. We need Moses Cuh!

ISO offense/Caseyball - I don't know what happened this season why they suddenly changed the offense like that. Last season, the Raps were playing beautiful basketball on both ends with sound ball movement, screen and rolls and pick and rolls. I did read from some of the threads here that they wanted to reduce turnovers that's why they reverted to the current type of offense which is stupid. And I'm never a big fan of small ball unless you have 1 solid big who can at least run the floor, protect the rim and rebound, a couple of true shooters who can do it on a catch and shoot, off the dribble, and can move without the ball efficiently to find their spots, and a system that favours efficient passing and ball movement.

Comment

Defense (including defensive rebounding). If it hadn't slipped, we would have been well over 50 wins and been much better in the playoffs. Casey stubbornly played his "best 10", but they just didn't have the length/size to be a good defensive group, especially given Lowry's issues at the point of attack.

That, and an over-emphasis on drawing the foul/getting up the shot over making the pass.

Comment

There was also Lowry's issue of gambling on defence where he constantly tried to go for steals on the other team, which would subsequently result in the opposing team getting an advantage of going 5v4 and getting easy baskets through the mismatches and open man on the scrambling of the defence. Lowry would also draw many unnecessary fouls through this type of behaviour and put himself in foul trouble. I hope someone tells him that this isn't the best kind of thing to do on defence. It would help our overall team defence.
                                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Working...
                                X