Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Raptors Recruit LaMarcus Aldridge?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post
    Younger. But the Heat reached out. And there is no way for them to get Aldridge without losing Bosh. So clearly they would make that swap if they could.

    Otherwise, why would they meet with him at all?
    is there not?

    what about deng/chalmers/mcbob/anderson?
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

    Comment


    • Now, Miami. Start with the assumption they would prefer Aldridge over Bosh (a simple conclusion considering they met with Aldridge and there's no way for them to get him without losing Bosh).

      It would be really hard to manage though, as Miami would have to get clear of the tax apron to participate in a sign and trade. They just signed Wade and Dragic to a total of 35.5M. Add that to their 56.5M of committed salary and you get 92M. If the cap is 69M, the hard cap will be about 88M. So the sign and trade needs to get them below that. Let's assume they run a full 15 man lineup, and currently they sit at 12 players. Add Justise Winslow at 2.5M. That's 13 players, at 94.5M. Then add two vet min deals, 1.9M total. 96.4M. So they would need to shed 8.5M of cap in a sign and trade. Plus 950k for every roster spot they open up (as we assume they will maintain a 15 man roster with minimum deals).

      We have about 10.6M in cap room, and Bosh makes 22.2M. If Aldridge signs for the max that will be 19.5M (so they clear 2.7M right there). That means they need to send out players worth 5.8M plus 950k for each player. Candidates: Chalmers (4.3M), Josh McRoberts (5.45M), Luol Deng (10.15M).

      Deng seems the obvious choice - with Winslow coming in and his expiring deal, seems easy to move and easy to replace. And that way they keep their forward and guard depth. Let's go with Deng. And that also gives them a little leeway to absorb a contract back in the deal.

      So MIA out - Deng (10.15M), Bosh (22.2M)
      MIA in - LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M), James Johnson (2.5M), 10.25M TPE

      TOR out - James Johnson (2.5M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st
      TOR in - Chris Bosh

      POR out - SnT LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M)
      POR in - Luol Deng (10.15M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st

      MIA gets to sign Aldridge, and gets a cheap backup 3 to support Winslow, while divesting themselves of the Deng contract (that they were hoping he would opt out of). POR gets a very nice return for their departing superstar (especially considering he is UFA) - a replacement PF signed to a nice deal, a young guard, a veteran expiring wing to replace Batum short term, and two first rounders. Should help with starting again around Lillard while still remaining competitive in the West right away. And Toronto gets Chris Bosh to play between a shooting, defending and rebounding 3, a true low post, rim protecting and rebounding C, and with two all stars in the backcourt. The bench ends up being filled out with young guys and minimum deals, but that's a heck of a starting lineup.

      I can't believe I actually got it to work. Huh.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • stooley wrote: View Post
        is there not?

        what about deng/chalmers/mcbob/anderson?
        Yeah, but why? What does any team gain taking on those contracts? The only way those contracts work is if you have a boatload of picks to go with them. And the Heat do not.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • ebrian wrote: View Post
          In order to be a championship contender, you actually have to be able to make it to the finals. We lost 4-0 to the Wizards. 4-0. Of the 8-10 playoff contending teams in the East, yes the "easy path" East, we are literally the furthest away from making the Finals. Now you think this team plus Carroll, Wright and LMA, minus Amir, equals Championship quality? That's ridiculous and deep down you know this.

          There isn't a chance in hell that LMA thinks the Raptors are a better option than any of those Western Conference teams. At best he views us as an up-and-coming team. If he had been 25, he'd probably strongly consider signing here, but at 29 in prime? Not a chance.

          And where are you getting this "POR had one of the best starting 5's in basketball"? This statement might be true:

          POR had one of the 16 best starting 5's in basketball.
          I think we've seen with Boston & LA in 08 as well as CLE last year: adding the right pieces at the right time can make you championship contenders even if you weren't considered playoff threats the previous year.

          And in terms of net points, they have been top 4 and top 6 the past 2 seasons.

          POR starting lineup 13/14

          POR starting lineup 14/15

          Comment


          • DanH wrote: View Post
            Now, Miami. Start with the assumption they would prefer Aldridge over Bosh (a simple conclusion considering they met with Aldridge and there's no way for them to get him without losing Bosh).

            It would be really hard to manage though, as Miami would have to get clear of the tax apron to participate in a sign and trade. They just signed Wade and Dragic to a total of 35.5M. Add that to their 56.5M of committed salary and you get 92M. If the cap is 69M, the hard cap will be about 88M. So the sign and trade needs to get them below that. Let's assume they run a full 15 man lineup, and currently they sit at 12 players. Add Justise Winslow at 2.5M. That's 13 players, at 94.5M. Then add two vet min deals, 1.9M total. 96.4M. So they would need to shed 8.5M of cap in a sign and trade. Plus 950k for every roster spot they open up (as we assume they will maintain a 15 man roster with minimum deals).

            We have about 10.6M in cap room, and Bosh makes 22.2M. If Aldridge signs for the max that will be 19.5M (so they clear 2.7M right there). That means they need to send out players worth 5.8M plus 950k for each player. Candidates: Chalmers (4.3M), Josh McRoberts (5.45M), Luol Deng (10.15M).

            Deng seems the obvious choice - with Winslow coming in and his expiring deal, seems easy to move and easy to replace. And that way they keep their forward and guard depth. Let's go with Deng. And that also gives them a little leeway to absorb a contract back in the deal.

            So MIA out - Deng (10.15M), Bosh (22.2M)
            MIA in - LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M), James Johnson (2.5M), 10.25M TPE

            TOR out - James Johnson (2.5M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st
            TOR in - Chris Bosh

            POR out - SnT LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M)
            POR in - Luol Deng (10.15M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st

            MIA gets to sign Aldridge, and gets a cheap backup 3 to support Winslow, while divesting themselves of the Deng contract (that they were hoping he would opt out of). POR gets a very nice return for their departing superstar (especially considering he is UFA) - a replacement PF signed to a nice deal, a young guard, a veteran expiring wing to replace Batum short term, and two first rounders. Should help with starting again around Lillard while still remaining competitive in the West right away. And Toronto gets Chris Bosh to play between a shooting, defending and rebounding 3, a true low post, rim protecting and rebounding C, and with two all stars in the backcourt. The bench ends up being filled out with young guys and minimum deals, but that's a heck of a starting lineup.

            I can't believe I actually got it to work. Huh.
            Dan H for GM...or at least as the new Raptors capologist.

            Comment


            • Puffer wrote: View Post
              Dan H for GM...or at least as the new Raptors capologist.
              I'd hire him for capologist, especially since he basically does it for free. Saving money that can be spent on firing Casey.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

              If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

              Comment


              • I want Bosh even less than Aldridge. Luckily, the Carroll signing is a good sign that MU won't bother with Gay-esque acquisitions like LMA or Bosh.

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post
                  Now, Miami. Start with the assumption they would prefer Aldridge over Bosh (a simple conclusion considering they met with Aldridge and there's no way for them to get him without losing Bosh).

                  It would be really hard to manage though, as Miami would have to get clear of the tax apron to participate in a sign and trade. They just signed Wade and Dragic to a total of 35.5M. Add that to their 56.5M of committed salary and you get 92M. If the cap is 69M, the hard cap will be about 88M. So the sign and trade needs to get them below that. Let's assume they run a full 15 man lineup, and currently they sit at 12 players. Add Justise Winslow at 2.5M. That's 13 players, at 94.5M. Then add two vet min deals, 1.9M total. 96.4M. So they would need to shed 8.5M of cap in a sign and trade. Plus 950k for every roster spot they open up (as we assume they will maintain a 15 man roster with minimum deals).

                  We have about 10.6M in cap room, and Bosh makes 22.2M. If Aldridge signs for the max that will be 19.5M (so they clear 2.7M right there). That means they need to send out players worth 5.8M plus 950k for each player. Candidates: Chalmers (4.3M), Josh McRoberts (5.45M), Luol Deng (10.15M).

                  Deng seems the obvious choice - with Winslow coming in and his expiring deal, seems easy to move and easy to replace. And that way they keep their forward and guard depth. Let's go with Deng. And that also gives them a little leeway to absorb a contract back in the deal.

                  So MIA out - Deng (10.15M), Bosh (22.2M)
                  MIA in - LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M), James Johnson (2.5M), 10.25M TPE

                  TOR out - James Johnson (2.5M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st
                  TOR in - Chris Bosh

                  POR out - SnT LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M)
                  POR in - Luol Deng (10.15M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st

                  MIA gets to sign Aldridge, and gets a cheap backup 3 to support Winslow, while divesting themselves of the Deng contract (that they were hoping he would opt out of). POR gets a very nice return for their departing superstar (especially considering he is UFA) - a replacement PF signed to a nice deal, a young guard, a veteran expiring wing to replace Batum short term, and two first rounders. Should help with starting again around Lillard while still remaining competitive in the West right away. And Toronto gets Chris Bosh to play between a shooting, defending and rebounding 3, a true low post, rim protecting and rebounding C, and with two all stars in the backcourt. The bench ends up being filled out with young guys and minimum deals, but that's a heck of a starting lineup.

                  I can't believe I actually got it to work. Huh.
                  And therein lies the problem. I keep reading people trying so hard to get that PF or starter to put us over the top trading JJ, Ross, 2Pat...I agree starters are the most important part of the team, but NOBODY goes to the conference finals without a team that goes at least 7 deep. You can't gut the bench so bad there's no NBA players left, and then fill it out with Powell and "veteran minimums". We'd be in for a rude awakening.
                  It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                  Comment


                  • DanH wrote: View Post
                    Now, Miami. Start with the assumption they would prefer Aldridge over Bosh (a simple conclusion considering they met with Aldridge and there's no way for them to get him without losing Bosh).

                    It would be really hard to manage though, as Miami would have to get clear of the tax apron to participate in a sign and trade. They just signed Wade and Dragic to a total of 35.5M. Add that to their 56.5M of committed salary and you get 92M. If the cap is 69M, the hard cap will be about 88M. So the sign and trade needs to get them below that. Let's assume they run a full 15 man lineup, and currently they sit at 12 players. Add Justise Winslow at 2.5M. That's 13 players, at 94.5M. Then add two vet min deals, 1.9M total. 96.4M. So they would need to shed 8.5M of cap in a sign and trade. Plus 950k for every roster spot they open up (as we assume they will maintain a 15 man roster with minimum deals).

                    We have about 10.6M in cap room, and Bosh makes 22.2M. If Aldridge signs for the max that will be 19.5M (so they clear 2.7M right there). That means they need to send out players worth 5.8M plus 950k for each player. Candidates: Chalmers (4.3M), Josh McRoberts (5.45M), Luol Deng (10.15M).

                    Deng seems the obvious choice - with Winslow coming in and his expiring deal, seems easy to move and easy to replace. And that way they keep their forward and guard depth. Let's go with Deng. And that also gives them a little leeway to absorb a contract back in the deal.

                    So MIA out - Deng (10.15M), Bosh (22.2M)
                    MIA in - LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M), James Johnson (2.5M), 10.25M TPE

                    TOR out - James Johnson (2.5M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st
                    TOR in - Chris Bosh

                    POR out - SnT LaMarcus Aldridge (19.5M)
                    POR in - Luol Deng (10.15M), Patrick Patterson (6.27M), Terrence Ross (3.55M), TOR 2016 1st, LAC 2017 1st

                    MIA gets to sign Aldridge, and gets a cheap backup 3 to support Winslow, while divesting themselves of the Deng contract (that they were hoping he would opt out of). POR gets a very nice return for their departing superstar (especially considering he is UFA) - a replacement PF signed to a nice deal, a young guard, a veteran expiring wing to replace Batum short term, and two first rounders. Should help with starting again around Lillard while still remaining competitive in the West right away. And Toronto gets Chris Bosh to play between a shooting, defending and rebounding 3, a true low post, rim protecting and rebounding C, and with two all stars in the backcourt. The bench ends up being filled out with young guys and minimum deals, but that's a heck of a starting lineup.

                    I can't believe I actually got it to work. Huh.
                    tweet this at the raptors twitter account lol

                    Comment


                    • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      And therein lies the problem. I keep reading people trying so hard to get that PF or starter to put us over the top trading JJ, Ross, 2Pat...I agree starters are the most important part of the team, but NOBODY goes to the conference finals without a team that goes at least 7 deep. You can't gut the bench so bad there's no NBA players left, and then fill it out with Powell and "veteran minimums". We'd be in for a rude awakening.
                      First, I do think a strong starting lineup is much more important than a deep bench - we had one of the best benches in the league last year and look where it got us. So I do think our chances of advancing to the conference finals are decent with that team. Over the course of the year 2 or 3 of the young guys/vets would separate themselves as reasonable options.

                      Second, any move made only for the coming year is a foolish one. From here, there are multiple summers of exceptions to add talent gradually, not to mention trade options with all those draft assets. And of course the improvement of our youth pieces.

                      Depth comes second. You build depth first, and you lose the ability to add top end talent.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

                      Comment


                      • Ooh, better one. Two 1st rounders for Markieff and Leuer into our cap space (taking on two contracts means we clear two roster slot holds, meaning our 8.4M cap room becomes 9.4M). Then Ridnour and a 1st for Len (whose ~4M salary fits in the 150% allowed in return from Ridnour's 2.75M).

                        Works perfectly to take on about 12M in salary. We fill our starting PF and backup C with young promising players.

                        Only first rounder in the next two drafts we keep is the Knicks one.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          First, I do think a strong starting lineup is much more important than a deep bench - we had one of the best benches in the league last year and look where it got us. So I do think our chances of advancing to the conference finals are decent with that team. Over the course of the year 2 or 3 of the young guys/vets would separate themselves as reasonable options.

                          Second, any move made only for the coming year is a foolish one. From here, there are multiple summers of exceptions to add talent gradually, not to mention trade options with all those draft assets. And of course the improvement of our youth pieces.

                          Depth comes second. You build depth first, and you lose the ability to add top end talent.
                          Yep, talent wins in the NBA, not a balanced bench. All you need is bench guys that know specific roles and you're fine.

                          Comment


                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            Ooh, better one. Two 1st rounders for Markieff and Leuer into our cap space (taking on two contracts means we clear two roster slot holds, meaning our 8.4M cap room becomes 9.4M). Then Ridnour and a 1st for Len (whose ~4M salary fits in the 150% allowed in return from Ridnour's 2.75M).

                            Works perfectly to take on about 12M in salary. We fill our starting PF and backup C with young promising players.

                            Only first rounder in the next two drafts we keep is the Knicks one.
                            I don't see how Ujiri keeps just one first rounder from 4. It's just not happening unless he gets a chance to bring a star. 1st rounders are a big asset, I wouldn't give one for players like Len.


                            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            MeDar ReDozan

                            Comment


                            • Well LMA is off to the Spurs.

                              Comment


                              • woj says LMA has decided to sign with the spurs

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X