Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prospect development - what is considered a success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of those 3 first round prospects, if two become rotation players in the NBA, that's success. If one of them becomes a long term starter for this team, then that's great success.

When it comes to second rounders, no reason to expect much of them. If 1 in 10 sticks in the league for 5 years, that's solid drafting / development. of course, if you have lots of early 2nd rounders, then you expect more.

Comment

Norman Powell looks like he could be a second round steal. He works really hard from the looks of it and he sets goals for himself, as oppose to Delon Wright who just seems to go with the flow from the looks of it. I'm probably wrong but Delon doesn't seem to have that intense desire to want to get better.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Norman Powell looks like he could be a second round steal. He works really hard from the looks of it and he sets goals for himself, as oppose to Delon Wright who just seems to go with the flow from the looks of it. I'm probably wrong but Delon doesn't seem to have that intense desire to want to get better.

one is guaranteed the other isnt

Comment

Wright seems uncomfortable in front of the press and expresses himself awkwardly

Comment

Interesting question.

I think that for a team to find sustained success and to compete you need to have at least one contributing rookie scale contract on your roster at all times. By having one of your starters or backup players on a rookie contract playing ~20 minutes a game you open up so many possibilities financially. Note that this means they need to help and not hinder the team.

However if we want to look to improve in place of sustained success then I think that we have to expect more out of our rookies. I believe that instead of one contributor every 3 or so years we need to see someone step up every other year at least.

So if I measure that as success, then for the raptors we will need one of those 5 to move into our top 8/9 by the end of the year (With JV and Ross moving off rookie contracts) to at least meet expectation.

Lets say we can get 2/3 on that list into our rotation over the course of the next 2 seasons then I think we can consider it a success, and that alleviates the pressure to put contributing rookies onto the team out of the draft for a couple years. It will allow the opportunity to leverage the Dleague team and focus on developing players before moving them into contributing roles.

Comment

For me, Mo Pete is the level of success I hope for from a player drafted in the late teens and beyond.

Funny that people think Bebe is the least likely to produce yet he was the highest pick (16th).
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                For me, Mo Pete is the level of success I hope for from a player drafted in the late teens and beyond.

Funny that people think Bebe is the least likely to produce yet he was the highest pick (16th).
                He wasn't picked by a genius GM!

Comment

"Prospect development - what is considered a success?"

Play MEANINGFUL mins in the NBA. Be a rotation player.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

having an entire arena shouting your name in garbage time while almost getting raped by the teams brand ambassador

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      having an entire arena shouting your name in garbage time while almost getting raped by the teams brand ambassador
                      To be completely fair, I would probably be content with my life if that happened to me at any point

Comment

Since none of those 5 were even a lottery pick and two were 2nd rounders, if you can get 1 starter and 1 rotation player who hangs around for 8+ years it's a success.

Even two good rotation players would be considered a success in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

3 HOFers or utter disaster

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            3 HOFers or utter disaster
                            Those 3........Powell, DaD and Bebe

Comment

This is an interesting chart showing Average WP by draft position over time. The article that goes with it is also pretty informative....

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...er-to-the-max/

https://plot.ly/~FiveThirtyEight/7/w...year-since-dr/

<b>Wins Produced by First-Round NBA Draft <br />
Picks</b><br><br>Average win shares by year since <br />
draft, 1985-2014

Last edited by golden; Wed Jul 8, 2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

^ oh well that sucks lmao
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X