The 2015/16 Eastern Conference Predictions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    I feel like all of the "fit" arguments don't really hold water. What are the best examples of a good player switching teams and then regressing a bunch because of the different system?

As for DC specifically, I think he'll be great. He single handedly took over for Atlanta a lot in the playoffs. Not system stuff either, but driving to the hole and scoring when everyone else went cold. Rebounding and defending like a mad man. He's a great 3pt shooter and that won't go away. If we give him a bigger offensive role like we're supposed to (that's how we convinced him to come here), I expect him to have the best year of his career this season.
    Thanks a lot. As it took him almost no time at all to cancel other meetings and sign here, I dare say he has similar hopes and expectations.

Comment

• Just look at Carroll's shooting numbers pre-Atlanta, and then in Atlanta. Huge spike. Hopefully due to maturation. But possibly due to the system.

We'll see in a few months.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        For every stiff there are guys who change teams and it works out.. well.. pretty damn well

How about Harden leaving OKC and now in Houston
        Igudola leaving Denver and landing in Golden State
        Boris Diaw after being bought out ...running not walking out of Charlotte.... to the Spurs

but for sure Hedo lands in the remove your appendix with a rusty razor blade mistake category...
        same with Amare in Knickland..
        Carmelo in Knickland...
        Barganini in Knickland...
        sensing a pattern here with the Knicks.
        Harden was great in OKC, bad example, he just needed more minutes, and more ball which there wasnt enough of.
        Iggy took a backup role, but he was damn solid in Denver. Not a huge difference in play imo.
        And Diaw went to the fucking Spurs. the Spurs. They could sign Bargnani right now and ake him look fantastic.

I can do more.

Jalen Rose in Toronto
        peja
        hughes
        kmart
        simmons

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          I feel like all of the "fit" arguments don't really hold water. What are the best examples of a good player switching teams and then regressing a bunch because of the different system?

As for DC specifically, I think he'll be great. He single handedly took over for Atlanta a lot in the playoffs. Not system stuff either, but driving to the hole and scoring when everyone else went cold. Rebounding and defending like a mad man. He's a great 3pt shooter and that won't go away. If we give him a bigger offensive role like we're supposed to (that's how we convinced him to come here), I expect him to have the best year of his career this season.
          he was assisted on 99% of his shots last season, we were one of the worst passing teams. that is a legitimate cause for concern

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
            Thanks a lot. As it took him almost no time at all to cancel other meetings and sign here, I dare say he has similar hopes and expectations.
            in his own words.

"Coach talked about his role, and , you know, 60 million dollars."

Comment

• Don't really see the difference on offense between 2Pats and DC especially at the 4 except DC is worse on the Pick Pop ga!me which Raps rarely use anyway. If DC is at the 4 then 2Pats is at C meaning 5 out

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                I just don't think we are that good. Getting pummeled by a Wizards team that was not great is a pretty good measuring stick and that says to me we are not an elite team even in the weaker eastern conference.
                True.. however that "team" is now no more.
                4 (Lou / Amir / GV / Hans) of the first 9 rotation guys are now elsewhere. The GM turned over almost half the lineup.
                Think we had 3 big holes as the year ended. Perimeter defense, rebounding and speed.
                We addressed 2 of 3 (perimeter d with the addition of Carroll and more speed with Wright/Joseph). I still think rebounding is a question mark if Biyombo can't pick up boards at a healthy clip.
                But its a different and arguably better team than the one that had its ass kicked by the Whiz last April.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  True.. however that "team" is now no more.
                  4 (Lou / Amir / GV / Hans) of the first 9 rotation guys are now elsewhere. The GM turned over almost half the lineup.
                  Think we had 3 big holes as the year ended. Perimeter defense, rebounding and speed.
                  We addressed 2 of 3 (perimeter d with the addition of Carroll and more speed with Wright/Joseph). I still think rebounding is a question mark if Biyombo can't pick up boards at a healthy clip.
                  But its a different and arguably better team than the one that had its ass kicked by the Whiz last April.
                  Plus internal development, plus Powell, plus healthy Lowry, plus a potentially improved coaching staff. There sure seem like a lot of pluses in our favour, to the point where I'd be quite surprised if we're bumped out of the top 3 or denied from the quarter-finals.

I wonder where Vegas has us currently.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Plus internal development, plus Powell, plus healthy Lowry, plus a potentially improved coaching staff. There sure seem like a lot of pluses in our favour, to the point where I'd be quite surprised if we're bumped out of the top 3 or denied from the quarter-finals.

I wonder where Vegas has us currently.
                    Kinda where you would expect right now... in with 6 other teams...
                    Cavs and Bulls are the very early opening favourites..

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/
                    ODDS TO WIN THE 2015-16 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE
                    Team Odds
                    Cleveland Cavaliers 1/3

Chicago Bulls 8/1

Atlanta Hawks 18/1
                    Miami Heat 18/1
                    Indiana Pacers 25/1
                    Milwaukee Bucks 25/1
                    Washington Wizards 25/1
                    Toronto Raptors 30/1

Boston Celtics 60/1
                    Brooklyn Nets 100/1
                    Detroit Pistons 100/1
                    New York Knicks 100/1
                    Orlando Magic 125/1
                    Charlotte Hornets 150/1
                    Philadelphia 76ers150/1

Odd to see Indy in the mix at 25-1.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Aug 7, 2015, 10:03 PM.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                      he was assisted on 99% of his shots last season, we were one of the worst passing teams. that is a legitimate cause for concern
                      Yes. But what's the alternative? Getting another ISO chucker? Lowry and Derozan need the ball, they needed a dude who can defend and space the floor. Carroll will have to adjust but he even said that he's not looking for his offense. So offensively expectations for him might be different.
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Ross was assisted on 92% of his threes IIRC - I don't think it's that big a deal.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Ross was assisted on 92% of his threes IIRC - I don't think it's that big a deal.
                          it was somewhere around there, But Ross did not shoot well from there either.

There is a possibility there for a decline in shooting percentages due to the passing of this team being not near the levels of the Hawks

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            Yes. But what's the alternative? Getting another ISO chucker? Lowry and Derozan need the ball, they needed a dude who can defend and space the floor. Carroll will have to adjust but he even said that he's not looking for his offense. So offensively expectations for him might be different.
                            I hope not, he is far more efficient than DD at least, and by adding someone with a great skill set should immediately be incorporated into the offense.

He is the teams best shooter, he shouldnt change a damn thing, Lowry and Demar should do what they can to get him open looks.

Comment

it was somewhere around there, But Ross did not shoot well from there either.

There is a possibility there for a decline in shooting percentages due to the passing of this team being not near the levels of the Hawks
                              Yeah, Ross just shot his career average from 3. Not exactly disastrous.

Might there be a decline? Sure. He's starting off at 40% - I'd almost expect a slight decline if he stayed on the Hawks. But if he's filling Ross' role offensively, the evidence suggests he'll be getting lots of open 3's with his feet set.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, Ross just shot his career average from 3. Not exactly disastrous.

Might there be a decline? Sure. He's starting off at 40% - I'd almost expect a slight decline if he stayed on the Hawks. But if he's filling Ross' role offensively, the evidence suggests he'll be getting lots of open 3's with his feet set.
                                i dont think Ross had that many open threes, From what I remember there was alot of them where he wasn't completly set and it was contested.

Perhaps I am not remembering...

Comment

Working...
                                X