The Reason Behind Masai's 2015 Off-Season Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marz wrote: View Post
    Masai's stint in Denver included him taking fliers on talented players that either weren't desirable or had some kind of a hole in their games (e.g. McGee and BBall IQ, Faried and defense, Anthony Randolph and not fully realizing raw talent). The only player I see that fits the mold during this off-season is Biyombo. The other players he's drafted/signed are coming from good systems and have proven themselves on some level, which is why I started this thread - to find out why.
    The same reason he brought in guys like Andre Miller and Iguadola in Denver. Skill, experience, talent. Stacking vets with youth. Filling holes in the roster. Getting the best players available to fit into what he has. The reason Carroll and Joseph are here is because they were among the best players available to Toronto, filled obvious needs in the roster, bring skill sets the team is lacking, and add valuable experience.

Masai has taken flyers in Toronto on Bebe and Bruno and, to a lesser extent, a guy like Biyombo. You can't do that uniformly across 15 spots.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      The same reason he brought in guys like Andre Miller and Iguadola in Denver. Skill, experience, talent. Stacking vets with youth. Filling holes in the roster. Getting the best players available to fit into what he has. The reason Carroll and Joseph are here is because they were among the best players available to Toronto, filled obvious needs in the roster, bring skill sets the team is lacking, and add valuable experience.

Masai has taken flyers in Toronto on Bebe and Bruno and, to a lesser extent, a guy like Biyombo. You can't do that uniformly across 15 spots.
      hahaha so this pattern you were talking about was a pattern of taking talented players. lol ok hope no one copies his strategy.

Comment

Unless the coach is elite, you should never cater the roster to fit the coach's system. You get the best talent available that fits what you want your team to be.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I feel like DC will be on a short leash next season. I think Masai has brought in defensive minded players because we saw a massive drop off in defensive efficiency last year. If that trend continues early next season, I expect DC to be canned and Masai to bring in someone like Thibs who is lurking in the shadows not taking any deals so that Chicago still has to pay him his money not to coach. With the players brought in this summer, DC has no excuses. I want him fired now, not just for defence, but for his whole coaching mantra. I think MLSE wants to bring in a big name coach next time, and I think Thibs has flat out said he will not take a contract this summer.

Comment

players gotta execute...in Casey's defense (pun intended) who was his Tony Allen or KG? His guy that communicates and holds people accountable on the floor? Coach's need that advocate in order for the team to buy in. I've read many stories about how Pop will rip on Duncan just like he's anyone else and do you think that team functions as well as it does without total buy in from TD, TP, and Manu
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
              Disagree.
              Casey has done well. His team is not the most talented, and it has changed every year. You can only make so many adjustments, and to be honest, getting that team to play defence was impossible.

You might see a better defence this year, BUT, if the center position doesn't improve...it will be marginal. If the guys in front of the bigs can't get a bit better.... again.

I see a lot of the use of the word "system" here. I wonder if it is over used, and a bit misused. NBA basketball is still just basketball. Defense is thinking and effort. Its that simple. If you aren't in it mentally, you won't defend well. I think whatever defence you gave that squad last year would have been executed poorly. They werent defenders.

I will finish by saying that of course the coach can do better, clearly he can, and had better. But I will say this, the amount of emphasis, and blame, and critical commenting that is aimed at Dwayne Casey on this forum is a little ridiculous. The players play the game, they are well armed with good plans to do so. Its on them to perform. They didn't, and you saw, and are seeing what the GM is doing about that.
              I think Casey is a decent enough coach honestly, I just hate the catering to Demar.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                players gotta execute...in Casey's defense (pun intended) who was his Tony Allen or KG? His guy that communicates and holds people accountable on the floor? Coach's need that advocate in order for the team to buy in. I've read many stories about how Pop will rip on Duncan just like he's anyone else and do you think that team functions as well as it does without total buy in from TD, TP, and Manu
                That would be JJ the guy he stapled to the bench as GV was letting guys dunk past him.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                  I think Casey is a decent enough coach honestly, I just hate the catering to Demar.
                  Thats interesting.

Demar is a bit of an enigma right now... I thin he will do well next year.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    Thats interesting.

Demar is a bit of an enigma right now... I thin he will do well next year.
                    Demar playing for that max deal. Expect career highs in Points, and a massive career high in field goals attempted
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Demar playing for that max deal. Expect career highs in Points, and a massive career high in field goals attempted
                      60 shots 30 pts lots of head shaking

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        None of the big moves were pro-active. If Milsap leaves DC is resigned by Atlanta and if LMA doesn't join the Spurs CoJo stays. Guys kinda fell into MU's lap. Trading GV made sense but Lou and Amir probably get resigned if the other two event dont happen.
                        lol how is the DC singing not proactive? How could it be any more "proactive"? It literally can't.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                          lol how is the DC singing not proactive? How could it be any more "proactive"? It literally can't.
                          pro-active is going out and getting a player by trade . if Milsap goes to Utah , Carroll doesnt come to Toronto. once Carroll was available they went after him but it wasnt the plan in the off-season, it couldnt have been since Hawk were planning to resign him if Milsap left. finding a dollar on the street isnt pro-active

Comment

pro-active is going out and getting a player by trade . if Milsap goes to Utah , Carroll doesnt come to Toronto. once Carroll was available they went after him but it wasnt the plan in the off-season, it couldnt have been since Hawk were planning to resign him if Milsap left. finding a dollar on the street isnt pro-active
                            C'mon, everything in the offseason is a domino effect....everybody moves around and you take advantage. You could go team by team and break down how their player "fell into their lap"

I don't care if you found the dollar on the street, as long as you picked it up and it's in your pocket
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              C'mon, everything in the offseason is a domino effect....everybody moves around and you take advantage. You could go team by team and break down how their player "fell into their lap"

I don't care if you found the dollar on the street, as long as you picked it up and it's in your pocket
                              applaude the results but Carroll and CoJo was just luck. going after Matthews seemed to be plan A and then the LMA opportunity popped up. Utah offering Milsap 20M started the DC signing.

Comment

applaude the results but Carroll and CoJo was just luck. going after Matthews seemed to be plan A and then the LMA opportunity popped up. Utah offering Milsap 20M started the DC signing.
                                The topic was reasons for the off-season signing when most where just luck

Comment

Working...
                                X