No announcement yet.

The Transformation of the Raptors under Ujiri's Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masai (along with Leiweke) has done so much since he got here, I don't know how anybody can claim he isn't an elite GM.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

All-Star game doesn't really impact anything in my opinion. Players already know Toronto. They play 1-2 times a year as it is.
      The only reason I think it matters is because it was supposed to be impossible with the arena, facilities, etc. Yet, the current group made it happen. I am not entirely sure what that says but I think it say something about the approach and abilities of the current management group as opposed to the past. Will it have immediate, tangible returns? Unlikely, but I think it symbolizes something not unimportant about the franchise in 2016.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        All of this is great, but you didn't touch on a couple things. By 'Raptors' you spoke about only the roster improvements (which are significant) but when you look at the organizational tranformation it's even better.

Along with Leiweke we got:

A D-League team in Mississauga. That's incredible, I would have considered a team in Rochester or Buffalo to be a great success but to land a team in Mississauga is a huge accomplishment.

We landed the all-star game. With the cap going up next summer, what an opportunity to show off the city to not only the best players in the league but also agents that might be more inclined to push some of their clients our way. The timing of it really could not be any better.

The new training facility (which will be ready for the all-star game) is another major selling point and kind of ties together the value of both the d-league team and all-star game and becomes that much more of a selling point.

Our position amongst the leagues elite organizations is rapidly climbing as a result of the winning and all of the money being spent on the infrastructure around the team. Combine that with a rabid fan base, a great city and a GM that is more than happy to sing its praises and crush any myths, leaves us in a fantastic spot.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think it all comes down to how this team plays. Regardless of the personnel changes made this offseason, if the primary approach still consists of DeRozan/Lowry ISO plays on offense and a scrambling defense, I doubt the team will even match their success from last season. The Raptors won't surprise anybody, they don't get the same divisional benefits, and the EC is stronger/healthier.

If the entire philosophical approach changes on both ends of the court, 'good' DeRozan and Lowry show up for full seasons, JV takes a step forward, and the role players all play to their full potential, then 47-52 wins seems like the ceiling to me.
          You didn't mention Ross, does that mean your mindset about him is the same as mine? Lol!

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
            absolutely, I don't see us using that Clippers pick at all and outside of the Knicks 2016 pick...wouldn't be surprised if all our picks are in play for the right deal.
            'Dat Knicks->Denver pick is like a living asset that can potentially become Silver to Gold in 200 days. ONLY trade that pick if you are getting LeBron or Durant when it does become a top 5 pick, nothing else
            Last edited by tonious35; Thu Jul 16, 2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

We also got this gem:

Fuck Brooklyn!

Comment

Speaking about draft picks, when the Raps traded for Lamond Murray in 2003 using the 2007 pick, it was the most pure example to never trade away picks because you might miss out on an a quality draft class (Durant, Conley, Noah, Horford, ThadYoung, Marc Gasol, Wilson Chandler, Jared Dudley, Afflalo). If Bryan knew that the 2007 pick was not traded, he would of tanked that year and potentially the Raptors could of developed instead of tread-milled.
                Last edited by tonious35; Thu Jul 16, 2015, 02:42 PM.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                  Speaking about draft picks, when the Raps traded for Lamond Murray in 2003 using the 2007 pick, it was the most pure example to never trade away picks because you might miss out on an a quality draft class (Durant, Conley, Noah, Horford, ThadYoung, Marc Gasol, Wilson Chandler, Jared Dudley, Afflalo). If Bryan knew that the 2007 pick was not traded, he would of tanked that year and potentially the Raptors could of developed instead of tread-milled.
                  That was a really bad move by Glen Grunwald.

Comment

Or if the NBA didn't change the goddamn high school rule prior to the 2006 draft, we would've gotten KD instead of Bargnani. Lol

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                      Or if the NBA didn't change the goddamn high school rule prior to the 2006 draft, we would've gotten KD instead of Bargnani. Lol
                      We'd have gotten Oden. At least we're getting that 1st rounder for Bargs.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I think Masai did a Eurostep transformation. He took the assets he had and upgraded the offense (GV, Lou Williams, Patterson), then he suddenly went the other way and transformed the team focus to a defensive one during this off season. In hindsight, I can see why he kept Casey, though I was hoping for a Casey dump just like most of the rest of us. We'll see how it pans out. I'm very optimistic right now.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          We'd have gotten Oden. At least we're getting that 1st rounder for Bargs.
                          I think with BC's love for unorthodox players he would've drafted KD over Oden imo

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                            Carroll getting $14.5M as McHappy pointed out.

Also, why in the hell does Demar deserve more money than Carroll? Carroll is significantly better at everything except getting to the line. He destroys DD in every advanced statistic. His defense is elite and DD's is average to below average. Carroll is an excellent 3pt shooter and an uber efficienct scorer. He's a better rebounder too. All DD does is take more shots, and miss a lot more too. After this season it will be pretty clear to everyone that Carroll is a better player than Demar once you see them play on the same court every night.
                            You are seriously lost if you think Demar won't get much more $$ than Carroll. Demar is obviously the better offensive player and has the ability to create for himself and others. Carroll is obviously the better defensive player. I actually think they will compliment each other very well.

Now enough about Demar.....Back to the OP.

The difference between Masai and BC is incredible. Masai seems methodical and calculated while BC was always throwing shit on the wall to see what would stick. Masai runs a very tight ship.....NOTHING comes out of the front office. We have no clue which direction he'll go and what moves he'll do next.

Masai makes me feel more confident in his rosters as he appears to knows what he's doing. BC always made me nervous as he was all over the place. Every year there was a ton of roster turnover and too much reliance on scrubs.

Masai said its easy to make the playoffs and has shown this to be true.....BC tried and tried and couldn't put together two winning seasons in a row.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                              You are seriously lost if you think Demar won't get much more $$ than Carroll. Demar is obviously the better offensive player and has the ability to create for himself and others. Carroll is obviously the better defensive player. I actually think they will compliment each other very well.

Now enough about Demar.....Back to the OP.

The difference between Masai and BC is incredible. Masai seems methodical and calculated while BC was always throwing shit on the wall to see what would stick. Masai runs a very tight ship.....NOTHING comes out of the front office. We have no clue which direction he'll go and what moves he'll do next.

Masai makes me feel more confident in his rosters as he appears to knows what he's doing. BC always made me nervous as he was all over the place. Every year there was a ton of roster turnover and too much reliance on scrubs.

Masai said its easy to make the playoffs and has shown this to be true.....BC tried and tried and couldn't put together two winning seasons in a row.
                              I disagree wholeheartedly, DD just takes more shots (and misses a ton more). We'll see this season though since Casey promised Carroll a larger offensive role.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                                I disagree wholeheartedly, DD just takes more shots (and misses a ton more). We'll see this season though since Casey promised Carroll a larger offensive role.
                                God, I'm looking forward to that with a weird, sick, grim fascination. Basically, by 'larger role', he means Demarre will take a handful more field goals, and have his TS% drop by 10 points.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X