X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit
    replied
    007 wrote: View Post
    How crazy would it be if we got 1st in the conference, the second round (and possibly the conference finals), and a top 3 pick?
    I would get a Masai jersey made, no question in my mind

Leave a comment:

• BS10
    replied
    I like the optimism of this thread but let's not get our hopes up.

Leave a comment:

replied
    How crazy would it be if we got 1st in the conference, the second round (and possibly the conference finals), and a top 3 pick?

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Sports Illustrated has calculated that the Raptors will win the East next year, with 52.9 (+/- 2.74) wins.

"So with the majority of NBA contracts for the upcoming year signed, sealed and delivered, let’s try to predict how the standings will shake out.

This exercise will be guided by Win Shares, a statistic that aims to quantify how many wins each player contributes to his team in a given season. A team’s collective Win Shares doesn’t always exactly add up to its actual win total, but it’s usually quite close—since the 1962-63 season, the average margin of error is 2.74 wins.

In this case, what I’ve done is relatively simple: for every player who changed teams at some point during the 2014-15 season or during this off-season, I’ve transferred the amount of Win Shares each player earned last season to their current team.

Of course, a player’s 2014-15 Win Shares is somewhat reliant upon the quality of the teams he played for. And from season to season, the statistic can be affected by a number of factors—how a player fits into their team's offensive and defensive systems, any change in minutes per game, young players getting better and old players getting worse, etc.

To project how many Win Shares each first-round pick will produce next season, I calculated the mean amount that rookies from around their draft slot have accounted for over the last five years.

I also projected how superstars returning from injuries (Kevin Durant, Paul George, Carmelo Anthony) could affect the playoff race by extrapolating their Win Shares in the limited time they played last year to a “healthy” season.

Without further ado, here are the projected 2015-16 standings:"

1. Toronto Raptors 52.9
    2. Cleveland Cavaliers 51.4
    3. Chicago Bulls 51.2
    4. Atlanta Hawks 50.8
    5. Boston Celtics 47.4
    6. Washington Wizards 44.3
    7. Charlotte Hornets 41.6
    8. Miami Heat 41.4
    9. Milwaukee Bucks 40.0
    10. Detroit Pistons 39.9
    11. Indiana Pacers 39.0
    12. Orlando Magic 31.6
    13. Brooklyn Nets 29.7
    14. New York Knicks 28.0
    15. Philadelphia 76ers 23.2

1. Golden State Warriors 63.0
    2. Los Angeles Clippers 61.9
    3. Oklahoma City Thunder 60.0
    4. San Antonio Spurs 57.5
    5. Memphis Grizzlies 56.6
    6. Houston Rockets 53.2
    7. New Orleans Pelicans 45.7
    8. Phoenix Suns 41.3
    9. Dallas Mavericks 41.2
    10. Utah Jazz 41.2
    11. Portland Trail Blazers 38.6
    12. Sacramento Kings 33.5
    13. Los Angeles Lakers 29.9
    14. Denver Nuggets 29.6
    15. Minnesota Timberwolves 23.5

Toronto Raptors
    2014-15 record (win shares): 49-33 (50.6)
    Key players gained: DeMarre Carroll (7.0), Luis Scola (4.4), Cory Joseph (4.5)
    Key players lost: Amir Johnson (5.1), Lou Williams (6.6), Greivis Vasquez (2.8)
    Projected 2015-16 win shares (record): 52.9 (53-29)

After the Raptors were unceremoniously swept out of the playoffs by the Wizards, people around the league questioned whether GM Masai Ujiri would blow up the team during the off-season.

Instead, he made a series of shrewd moves, making Carroll an offer he couldn’t refuse while reconfiguring the team’s bench. Toronto has not yet won 50 games in a season, but that is now a reasonable expectation for the team to have going into the season.

One factor that could derail the Raptors? Injuries. Toronto was relatively lucky in that regard last season, as DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry’s combined 32 games missed were really the only injuries of note. If center Jonas Valanciunas (team-leading 8.2 win shares in 2014-15) has to sit for a prolonged amount of time, the Raptors could just as easily tumble into the bottom half of the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/16/nba...zers-mavericks
    Look at that, JV produces a lot of win for this team.

Maybe we should play him more.......

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Big danger next year for Raptors is going to be Porzingis...... mauahahahahahaha, no. I like Porzingis but he is a major project at NBA level. Assuming he is thrown to the wolves and given minutes, once he starts banging with NBA bigs night in and night out, he is going to be an injury waiting to happen. Physically he is on Bruno's level but he has played many more games.

Even when Carmelo shut it down at All-Star break they were only 10-43.

They have essentially a brand new team coming in to play the triangle. Lopez is solid not spectacular. Afflalo is on the downslide of his career. He has regressed quickly and is no longer the defensive stopper he once was. He has become a volume scorer on bad teams. Derrick Williams is a #2 overall tweener bust what is going to change for him at this point? Calderon was a liability when he was young, now at 33 or 34? O'Quinn is decent but he isn't a difference maker - he is what the Raptors used for years: deep rotational players in larger roles than their skills should permit. Then you Galloway and Early who are not even proven to be NBA players.

Most importantly, Melo is not a leader. When things get rough, and they will, he will crumble. He'll look for his and place the blame on the team and/or coaching staff for the losses saying, "I'm doing my part."

Oh and the coaching staff and system.... lol

That pick is going to be awesome.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    How crazy would it be if we land the #2 pick.
    I'd probably cry
    Axel wrote: View Post
    For Bargnani.......
    I'm trying so hard not to get too excited about this. It's the Raptors. Something will go wrong.

That's what I told my wife last night and she told me I had a huge smile on my face. Must temper expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    For Bargnani.......

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied
    I'd probably cry

Leave a comment:

• Bonus Jonas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Cavs were 34-13 after the NYK trade last year - that's a 60 win team if they stay healthy all year. I think their results are skewed because Lebron only ended up with 10 WS last season, which doesn't reflect his impact at all. He's peaked at 20 before and last season's 10 is the lowest since his rookie season. Did all that coasting before the trade cost him? Give him his career average of 15 and the Cavs leapfrog the Raps.
    Last edited by S.R.; Fri Jul 17, 2015, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bandit
    replied
    Just Is wrote: View Post
    I'd add Charlotte above them as well.
    Yea Charlotte could make that cut too, just want to see how their defense holds with the frontcourt they have

Leave a comment:

• Just Is
    replied
    Bandit wrote: View Post
    I have Detroit and Orlando above the knicks as well. I just can't see them making it work next year with the pieces they have and the system they want to run.

I could totally see a bottom four showing if a few things go against them. I just don't see that squad staying healthy all year
    I'd add Charlotte above them as well.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Bandit wrote: View Post
    I have Detroit and Orlando above the knicks as well. I just can't see them making it work next year with the pieces they have and the system they want to run.

I could totally see a bottom four showing if a few things go against them. I just don't see that squad staying healthy all year
    Yeah like idk they didn't make any significant acquisitions.

Afflalo still has a rep for being a good defender for some reason when he isn't one. He's just a very good jumpshooter (from mid-range, deep mid-range and 3).

Any Raptors fan trying to hype up Calderon must've been in a coma from ~2008-2012. He's a backup level PG. Love the guy but he's not good, plus he's like what 34 now?

Lopez is a solid center but he was on a really, really good Blazers team last year. Idk what his impact will be on a much weaker team.

Their only hope to significantly improve is if Porzingis just turns out to be a high impact rookie right off the bat which is extremely unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• Bandit
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Agreed. Imo the following teams are just clearcut better than the Knicks:

Cleveland
    Atlanta
    Chicago
    Toronto
    Milwaukee
    Washington
    Boston
    Indiana
    Miami

That's 9 teams. Then you've basically got them fighting with Detroit, Orlando, Brooklyn which imo all have more talent than the Knicks do.

Leave a comment:

• Snooch
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Imo the only team worse than the Knicks in the east is Philly.

Melo is a bonafide star but he's not gonna carry scrubs to a lot of wins lol. Especially if he's not motivated.

Kobe, who was better than Melo, and had every bit of motivation to prove he could win without Shaq, only won 34 games in 04-05 with much better players (Odom and Butler) by his side.

Hard for guys like Kobe and to a greater extent Melo to carry poor rosters to a lot of wins because their games don't really make their teammates better. Aside from drawing defensive attention. They can be devastatingly awesome on good teams though.
    Now I will appologize ahead of this post for mentioning names...

But Again, melo doesnt have "scrubs" he has better talent around him right now than Kobe did, and he is in the east.

Afflalo can defend and shoot, Jose can take care of the ball and shoot, Lopex is an underrated center, and not that long ago alot of posters here where singing the praises of OQuinn, and how good of a pf he can be with minutes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X