No announcement yet.

The feeling of seeing Masai Ujiri doing work in comparison to Bryan Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neither guy has won when it matters.. but Colangelo lost his best player in free agency (Bosh). Masai got to keep his (Lowry).

For me, the scale tips towards Masai for that reason.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
      Does anyone have MU's win-loss record as a GM handy?
      97-67(0.591) with the Raptors
      145-85(0.630) with the Nuggets

242-152(0.614) overall.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Regular season:
        145-85 (with Denver)
        97-67 (with Toronto)

242-152 (Total) - good for 61% Winning percentage which is equivalent to a 50 win season.

Playoffs:
        6-12 (Denver)
        3-8 (Toronto)

9-20 (Total). Never got out of the first round in 5 opportunities out of 5. Got swept once.
        Beat me to it.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
          Unfortunately, that's not really saying much, but I agree. Masai is doing a much better job than BC ever did.
          Not much of a BC fan, but last time I checked, Masai was still living off of BC's roster/team.

Lowry, DD, JV, Ross and even the head coach were ALL Colangelo acquisitions. No disrespect to Masai but I feel he gets a little bit too much credit at times. Until he can bring in players, BETTER than what he inherited when he took the job, I'll reserve the accolades for what a great GM he is.

Comment

MU became a great GM when he got rid of Bargs

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
              Not much of a BC fan, but last time I checked, Masai was still living off of BC's roster/team.

Lowry, DD, JV, Ross and even the head coach were ALL Colangelo acquisitions. No disrespect to Masai but I feel he gets a little bit too much credit at times. Until he can bring in players, BETTER than what he inherited when he took the job, I'll reserve the accolades for what a great GM he is.
              You make an excellent point here but what you're not considering is that he's been setting the table, collecting assets and now he has enough to make bigtime moves. This next 365 will be amazingly exciting. We'll not have seen anything like since Vinsanity days, that my prediction.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure but he also surrounded BC players with other guys who may or may not have (they did) make those guys better and make the team better.

As for Casey, well some poster on here are saying that Casey is effectively Masai's coach as he chose to extend him and still hasn't fired him. Can't have your cake and eat it..
                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

The feeling of seeing Masai Ujiri doing work in comparison to Bryan Colangelo

Katman wrote: View Post
                  MU became a great GM when he got rid of Bargs
                  MU became a great GM when he hired me as an intern

(Which has yet to happen....... I'll give him till January 2016)
                  Last edited by e_wheazhy_; Sun Jul 19, 2015, 06:39 PM.
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Hook me up with some nice tickets when it happens. I'm rooting for ya! ☺

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

The main difference I see between the two are that Masai Ujiri is a lot more fiscally responsible. Being fiscally responsible allows for the flexibility of every roster spot being movable at and given moment. Masai has done a fantastic job of making sure that there are no bad contracts and no bad draft picks. He takes risks but only when they are acceptable. So far, he hasn't overpaid a single contract, and he hasn't reached unnecessarily at any one particular prospect.

As far as choosing talent, I think we are still in jury mode on that one. I'm still not convinced this team can contend for anything more than the Atlantic Division crown, but that's okay because of what I said above. There are enough movable pieces here to allow a big, less fiscally responsible move, but one that will put us out in front and still maintain a level of flexibility. The question is whether or not Masai can land the big fish.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Regular season:
                        145-85 (with Denver)
                        97-67 (with Toronto)

242-152 (Total) - good for 61% Winning percentage which is equivalent to a 50 win season.

Playoffs:
                        6-12 (Denver)
                        3-8 (Toronto)

9-20 (Total). Never got out of the first round in 5 opportunities out of 5. Got swept once.

Numbers do not lie

Comment

he got rid of the dead weight that was holding the team down as well. we would be just getting out from under bargs this year, if not for masai. we would be signing gay to his extension. getting rid of useful players because they were brought in by someone else is dumb

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                            Not going to deny that Colangelo made moves that ended up being good to great results with the Raps (TJ Ford, Parker, Garbo, draft Valanciunus, draft DeRozan, getting rid of Fucking Hoffa for ex-Kardashian).

But to my feeling of the situation now, barring the elements that are out of the GMs control (injuries, divisional rivals one-upping-us, meteors crashing, etc), Ujiri has better vision and composure to manage the Raps and personally talk to his own players if anything serious pops up.
                            My view of a general manager is a guy who never talks to his players about serious stuff because he has a coaching staff capable of coaching. That's not a jab at Casey, I have no idea how good or bad he is at those talks or in preventing those talks.

Point I'm trying to make though is the GM should be focused on building the roster from a macro level and the coaching staff is supposed to be managing the roster from the micro level.

Comment

Colangelo has two executive of the year awards to Ujiri's one.

Nineteen years of GM experience to Ujiri's five.

Colangelo's draft history is far, far superior with Michael Finley, Stephen Jackson, Steve Nash, Shaun Mario, Amare Stoudemire, DeMar DeRozan, and JV all being some names he's brought in.

People forget about guys he traded for like Joe Johnson, who had proven nothing before coming to the Suns and then went off. Colangelo was no fluke in Phoenix, no one is that lucky, but he no doubt didn't get it to work in Toronto.

I liked the guy. I think he knows his stuff and should be employed somewhere in the league for as long as he's interested.

Comment

Keep in mind the BC was here during the "Pension Fund" management of MLSE. It's possible he HAD to hit for the fences because he wasn't allowed to tank. Not saying this was the case, just speculating.

Comment

Working...
                                X