No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If DeRozan were to leave this offseason (say by his choice, to avoid the minefield), along with Biyombo (again, his choice, due to money) and the other free agents (Scola, JJ and Thompson), what under-the-radar free agent PFs could be targeted to fit in the Raptors limited cap space (assuming both 1st round picks are kept and no trades are made)?

Terrence Jones from Houston is one high-upside guy that comes to mind, after he was mentioned in another thread, since he seems to have fallen off the NBA map this season. Could he possibly be had for cheap, even in the upcoming cap-crazy offseason, as another MU reclamation project?

Any other potential options that could fit the bill? This is asked with the strong assumption that players like Horford won't sign in the Raptors' cap space out of sheer goodwill or a new found love of the north.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      He always gets his on bad teams, and isn't really the type of guy to move the needle, especially at such a high cost (Ross & Wright). I seem to recall that this discussion was already had around these parts ahead of the trade deadline.
      I don't consider Wright/Ross a high price. Since you have better players(Cojo/Powell) than them at the same position. Cojo is our backup PG who happens to be the same age as Wright. Wright will never get any playing time here. Personally Powell surpassed Ross a while ago for me. Now his working his way up for that #1 SG. His not there yet. He could be in a couple years. I see him being in the running for 6 man in Ross' role next year.

He was really good for Philly when they were good. His another good clue guy like DC and 2pat.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        Thad Young is not better than Patrick Patterson, if you account for things like defense and chemistry.
        Chemistry wouldn't matter cause they would be playing on the same team. On defense they both use their quickest to keep players in front of them. Both aren't great rim protectors. If 2pat is better it's not by much. Young is the far superior rebounder and offensive player. His better than Terrence Jones as well.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Chemistry wouldn't matter cause they would be playing on the same team. On defense they both use their quickest to keep players in front of them. Both aren't great rim protectors. If 2pat is better it's not by much. Young is the far superior rebounder and offensive player. His better than Terrence Jones as well.
          Here's the problem. Every time you grab another guy who likes to dribble the ball and eat up usage creating his own shot, that's less shots for developing players.

Less shots for JV, less shots for Powell.

Guys like Ross, Patterson and Carroll are great role fillers because they open up the floor for those guys without taking shots away from them. Thad Young doesn't do the same thing.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• If we are going to look for a PF via trade I'd look at Utah Jazz first. They have a PF situation there that needs a bit of clean up and they need a serious upgrade in PG. Delon Wright has very familiar circles in Utah and if we can somehow come up with either Derrick Favors or Trey Lyles I'd be ecstatic.

FA signing wise, its either Al Horford or nothing.

Again, the best way to land a competent PF (not Thad Young) is to sign our guys and flip them by the deadline.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
              Here's the problem. Every time you grab another guy who likes to dribble the ball and eat up usage creating his own shot, that's less shots for developing players.

Less shots for JV, less shots for Powell.

Guys like Ross, Patterson and Carroll are great role fillers because they open up the floor for those guys without taking shots away from them. Thad Young doesn't do the same thing.
              Thad has been a low usage player before. His played smaller roles before. He did in Philly that year Doug Collins coached them to a deep playoffs run.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                That's the guy who's had three surgeries on the same foot in 2 years for stress fractures? Sounds good. He should be fine. It's not like basketball players use their feet for anything.
                Surgery was done at the Joel Embiid wing of the Greg Oden Memorial Hospital.

I am forever amazed at how some put an almost child like blind faith on the assuredness of a 19 year old player who is one or two years removed from high school to not only move seamlessly from playing against other 19 year olds directly into the NBA. Even more faith is required to believe that over a four month period that 19 year old with a couple of red flag surgeries on his feet will then easily supplant the production of a physically mature experienced all star.

Then again some people do buy magic beans.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                  If we are going to look for a PF via trade I'd look at Utah Jazz first. They have a PF situation there that needs a bit of clean up and they need a serious upgrade in PG. Delon Wright has very familiar circles in Utah and if we can somehow come up with either Derrick Favors or Trey Lyles I'd be ecstatic.

Again, the best way to land a competent PF (not Thad Young) is to sign our guys and flip them by the deadline.
                  You'd probably have to add Ross and DEN/NYC pick for Favours.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Obviously you have to add more to Delon Wright. But Utah would consider a trade because of Delon Wright and their familiarity with him. Unless Phoenix calls them for a Bledsoe trade or Atlanta wants to ship Jeff Teague off, we have a good chance of trading with them.

Comment

I mean, I'd trade almost any combination of Ross/prospects/picks for Favors (with the exception of Powell who we need if we move Ross). Favors is amazing.

I doubt Utah moves him though.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                        If we are going to look for a PF via trade I'd look at Utah Jazz first. They have a PF situation there that needs a bit of clean up and they need a serious upgrade in PG. Delon Wright has very familiar circles in Utah and if we can somehow come up with either Derrick Favors or Trey Lyles I'd be ecstatic.

I've been high on Favors since his draft, and like that he's young and can grow with the core. I like Horford (and other top PF free agents) too, but a huge signing like that seems limited to the 'Lowry window', which may not be the most strategic move for the long-term future of the Raptors franchise.

One of the most intriguing things about this offseason for me, is that whatever MU does, it could very well signal his intentions for dealing with Lowry next offseason. Is it all-in with the DeRozan/Lowry core for the next 4-5 years, or is there retooling around the next-gen core (JV and younger players)? Obviously it's not that black-and-white, since DeRozan, Lowry and everybody else will still have great trade value, so MU will have the freedom to change direction year-to-year quite easily.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I've been high on Favors since his draft and like that he's young and can grow with the core. I like Horford (and other top PF free agents) but a huge signing like that seems limited to the 'Lowry window', which may not be the most strategic move for the long-term future of the Raptors franchise.

One of the most intriguing things about this offseason for me, is that whatever MU does, could very well signal his intentions for dealing with Lowry next offseason. Is it all-in with the DeRozan/Lowry core for the next 4-5 years, or is there retooling around the next-gen core (JV and younger players)? Obviously it's not that black-and-white, since DeRozan, Lowry and everybody else will still have great trade value, so MU will have the freedom to change direction year-to-year quite easily.
                          Plus, if you can get a young PF locked in beside JV, then as Lowry ages you can live with his presumably high contract value and decreasing production if you re-sign him since your young guys are already locked in, and DeRozan is still a ways off from any decline he'll eventually see. We actually have a nice staggering of ages in our core right now for long term success.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Pretty interesting podcast.

After the Thibs talk there's quite a bit of Raps talk. They point out that the Raps could likely replace Demar w/ Powell and keep moving OR get Derozan to polish his outside shot during the off season if they keep him. Having those options (keeping Demar or replacing him with an affordable option) is the mark of a well managed team(according to the podcast).

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15281177
                            Last edited by blackjitsu; Wed Apr 20, 2016, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Plus, if you can get a young PF locked in beside JV, then as Lowry ages you can live with his presumably high contract value and decreasing production if you re-sign him since your young guys are already locked in, and DeRozan is still a ways off from any decline he'll eventually see. We actually have a nice staggering of ages in our core right now for long term success.
                              Once the 4 free agents are removed (Scola-35, JJ-29, Thompson-29 and likely Biyombo-23) and at least 1 draft pick is added, the Raptors are actually a very young team.

Current ages:
                              30 - Lowry
                              29 - Carroll
                              27 - Patterson
                              26 - DeRozan
                              25 - Ross
                              24 - Joseph
                              23 - Valanciunas, Wright, Bebe
                              22 - Powell
                              20 - Bruno

Average age of 11 players: 24.7 (the draft pick would cause that to drop further)

Comment

• Here's my main question about Demar's upcoming free agency: Does Masai have to re-sign him? The raptors are finally being taken seriously as a franchise and outside of Toronto I think DD is viewed as a max guy. Does it hurt the team's image if they let the only "superstar/max player" who wants to stay in Toronto (so DD says) leave? I can see Kenny and Chuck talking shit on NBA on TNT already. Not to mention Lowry and DD have become very close. Do the Raps get the same effort from KL of Demar is gone?

With that question being posed I'll say this for my own perspective: I think the real reason Lowry + Bench crushes all other lineups is because they subtracted Demar. I truly think this franchise is better without him.

Comment

Working...
                                X